Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RickBin

Uglier than sin, and loud as all get out.

Which thereby makes any further comments unnecessary.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cut it off

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I believe there is a thread protector sleeve available if you choose not to implement the boss.
I have a model 70 338 with the boss and could give 2 turds what it looks like,it allows me to be comfortable and confident when shooting from prone plus it works as advertised.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Who cares what it looks like? If you cut it off, you're going to have a 30-06 with a full-length stock and about a 20.5" barrel--that'll be HOT while we're on the subject of looks. Might as well try it with the BOSS.

Chris
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Originally Posted by RickBin

Uglier than sin, and loud as all get out.

Which thereby makes any further comments unnecessary.

Different strokes....

I'd say: Uglier than sin, and loud as all get out. But it works like a charm.

I have other rifles I can pull out if I wanted to impress someone. I value function over form...YMMV

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I also have a LH Stainless Classic .30-06 so equipped. Ugly to the point that I bought a non-BOSS take off barrel to put on it. Never installed it as the BOSS shoots so well. If the noise bothers you install the CR. Even though shooting an '06 doesn't bother me, the ported BOSS makes it a cream puff from the bench. Here's the chart from my manual.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tmitch
I also have a LH Stainless Classic .30-06 so equipped. Ugly to the point that I bought a non-BOSS take off barrel to put on it. Never installed it as the BOSS shoots so well. If the noise bothers you install the CR. Even though shooting an '06 doesn't bother me, the ported BOSS makes it a cream puff from the bench. Here's the chart from my manual.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I would love to know why they tested the 220 gr in 30-06 but not the 180 grain? This caused me much frustration...

Chris
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
That's a good question. Now we know what the guy who determines .223, .243, and .264 rates of twists was doing for a living years ago.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How many of the BOSS haters who object to what it looks like won't be using a suppressor either?

Dave

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I reviewed several of them (4 in all) in different rifle configurations and cartridges, the first one I kept 6 months and wrung it out.

It was a 270 Browning and I dialed in groups in the .2's and .3's. None of the others did that well but the secret is minute changes where 1 direction opens the groups so you simply go the other way by the same amount.

Also tried removing the BOSS and working with the rifle bare, to see how the basic rifle performed.

The noise was the reason I sent it back and the short 20" barrel which starved the cartridge of velocity potential.

Now, after saying that, I shot goats out to a quarter mile on the flats with no apparent loss in performance in the field.

Try it first.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have a M70 .300WM with one. It is a very accurate rifle. I installed the CR and never use the ported. One advantage, even for handloaders, is you can load to the velocity you want, and then tune the barrel. In the field the device helps protect the muzzle from dings if the rifle is placed muzzle to floor board in the truck or similar. However, if the rifle is leaning against something muzzle up, the big opening of the CR weight can "funnel" something in. I tape my muzzle in the field so this is not an issue. They are not pretty, but I do think the CR is the better looking of the two weights.

I'd try it. You may find it doesn't look so bad if it shoots itty-bitty groups. Who knows, someday the BOSS guns may bring a premium among collectors. Or maybe not. The collector market is funny.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Browning Abolt 30-06 with a Boss.Given to me as a gift. It shoots great with both the suppressor and non suppressor attachments. I never could warm up to to it on the end of the barrel. Or the noise and flash. I looked high and low with no success for a sleeve to cover the treads that would make the barrel look more normal. I just took it off and covered the treads with black electric tape to protect them. It shoots Hornady 165 interbonds as good as i can shoot with the boss off. I mounted a Leupold pig plex scope on it and use for hogs in florida. It actually makes a nice little short barreled rifle for the atv and stalking in the brush. Not my favorite rifle in the safe but it has found its place. I would have never bought it myself but didnt have the heart to sell it since it was a gift.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by pabucktail
Wandered into the LGS the other day to look for powder and found a 6 digit NH Classic Stainless Model 70 '06 with a Nikon Monarch 3x9 for less than six bills. Buying it was a no-brainer.

Apparently the BOSS on the end of it frightened some guys off. My first inclination is to put a hacksaw and crowning tool to work, but I figured I might as well ask about the thing first. I hate muzzle brakes. Is the supposed accuracy benefit legit enough to keep this thing around and find a non-ported section for it?

It's not really a muzzle brake - it's more like a vibration-tuner..

And most of my customers have me either rebarrel it or cut it off and re-crown.. While the "Blue Book" gives it a roughly 10% premium on price, the REAL market is at least a 10% penalty.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think I will eventualy have mine rebareled since all i will have in it is the cost of the new barrel.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by tmitch

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

These were not yet available when I reviewed these rifles so I had to "learn" the hard way. Because other writers were fighting to be first in print, I ignored them all and never read anything so the test could be objective. I got the best groups recorded but I later found it coincidental as after 4 of these being reviewed, the later 3 never equaled that 1st rifle for accuracy.
John

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I copied this from an earlier thread on this topic. Worked great for me:

This will be more help fine tuning!

Prior to my retirement, I was the Chief Firearms test Engineer at Browning Arms R&D Division for many years.

I performed all the developmental testing for the BOSS system (well over 30,000 rounds fired)

To find your sweet spot, I'd suggest the following procedure.

With the system set at mid point, fire a carefully aimed 3 shot group. Adjust the weight 1/4 turn in either direction and fire another group of 3 shots. Compare the results. If the group is smaller, (if the group opens up, go in the other direction) continue in 1/4 turn increments until you reach optimum. The groups will open up again if you adjust past the optimum.
It's important let the rifle cool between groups.

That's the procedure I followed in determining starting points for the system. All testing was with commercial ammo, in a 100 yard tunnel with VERY good optics. After a short time, no one got very excited at any groups that were not sub 1/4". I recall one group that was .0029, right, 29 thousandths of an inch, but it must be remembered this was done under optimal conditions with high quality optics.

Hope this is of some use to you. I'll be glad to answer any questions you may have.

Best regards,
Rob
Very best WinPoor

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I had a Ruger 77/22 Hornet sporter that shot like dog dirt. I added a Que muzzle brake/tuner and it shot into one hole! They work.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
southtexas,

Based on my experience you left the questioner hanging. I discovered from experimentation even a 1/16 of a turn will make a difference once you get close to the correct spot.

Is this your experience?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Ringman
southtexas,

Based on my experience you left the questioner hanging. I discovered from experimentation even a 1/16 of a turn will make a difference once you get close to the correct spot.

Is this your experience?

Actually, the adjustments can be even smaller than that when fine tuning. I recorded several .2-3" groups under range conditions with hunting scopes but again, I could not replicate that level of accuracy in all 4 rifles shot over perhaps a year total under the same range conditions.

The cartridges I reviewed included:
.270 in a Browning A Bolt.
.22/250 Browning A Bolt Heavy Barrel.
.308 in Browning Auto
.270 Model 70 Stainless.

I tried a lot of loads to find accuracy and then fine tuned it. To test the BOSS unit for its individual benefit, I would likely load a Sierra bullet in a moderate load and let the rifle do the work from there.
John

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ringman
southtexas,

Is this your experience?

The 1/4 turn technique got me to 1/2" to 5/8". Fine tuning may have improved the groups even more. But that accuracy level from a sporting rifle was sufficient for me.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 160user, 56 invisible), 1,964 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,877
Posts18,479,011
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.