Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Pat,

Can I come watch?

Come on out! If I draw that permit, you're more than welcome!

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Great memories....

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I went a few times when I was younger and lived in Alaska.

No matter how much food we flew in, I averaged 14 LBS lost over 10 days year after year. Mrs Walter would MAKE me go sheep hunting....

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Getting ready to "Dine Out". Best red meat on the planet....

[Linked Image]
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Killing me here Pat, I'm going stir crazy waiting for the season!

For all you sheep lovers, this is an awesome video... I watch it more than a couple times a month...grin. The sheep being a dandy is icing on the cake.

Tanner

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jeez you guys,,,,,,,,, I didn't get any draws and hadn't been thinking of sheep TOO much,,but now???[Linked Image]

I tend to use more than enough gun
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wow. Oh, wow. What a ram!

Okay, I'm already an elk addict. I don't need to be thinking about sheep.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by waterrat
Jeez you guys,,,,,,,,, I didn't get any draws and hadn't been thinking of sheep TOO much,,but now???[Linked Image]

What dreams are made of right there! Would love to have a story on that one! Amazing ram.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
28 years applying for Wyoming and 4 years for MT.... maybe one of these days I'll draw a tag. smile

Share some Pics I've taken from the South and North Fork country by Cody.

North Fork....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

South Fork....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
North Fork...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And more South Fork...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

and my son standing on side of road.. 2010
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
This is a great thread. May as well add my update.

I lucked into an Arizona desert sheep tag a couple years back. Fortunately I had a lot of vacation time built up and got to the unit with 12 days to look around before the season started. I scouted solo for 9 of the 12 days and found a lot of rams.

I didn't see every ram in the unit, but I bet I saw a vast majority of them.

According to the harvest stats, this particular area hadn't produced a ram for 6-7 years.

[Linked Image]

I found 17 rams in there, a couple were very nice. This old warrior being one of the better ones.

[Linked Image]

Another look:

[Linked Image]

Up until about 3 days before the season started, I was making that ram my #1.

Then I found this group, in another area that had not produced a ram for quite some time.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I changed my mind after a lot of consideration and made the best ram in that group my new #1 choice.

Kept track of them and watched them feed into a big canyon the night before opening day. The next morning within an hour, my buddy and I were within 80 yards of the ram I wanted. A nice 80 yard shot with my 7RM and that was that.

Just walked down and decided not even to touch the ram for a while, just enjoy the moment:

[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/buzzandpat/desertram/websize/3-P1260507.jpg[/img]

Finally got around to some grip and grins.

[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/buzzandpat/desertram/websize/IMG_0966.JPG[/img]

[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/buzzandpat/desertram/websize/IMG_5112.JPG[/img]

[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/buzzandpat/desertram/websize/6-P1260518.jpg[/img]

Not sure if this will work

link

Last edited by BuzzH; 03/02/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Buzz,

For me, the pics and especially you just sitting there taking it in says everything.

Thank you, for the pics, for sharing, and for "doing it right". I think/hope you know what I mean.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Tanner
For all you sheep lovers, this is an awesome video... I watch it more than a couple times a month...grin.

I've seen that one a time or two, never gets old.

Great photos Sendero. I almost said "pics" but those are definitely photos.

Wow, you too buzz, that sheep is beautiful.

Last edited by smokepole; 03/02/15.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This ram was from the same valley a week later,, some years it was devoid of sheep. 2 days from closet landing spot and 2 nasty creek crossing, usually hunted it near the end of the season.[Linked Image]

I tend to use more than enough gun
P
PVT Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Pat,

How long have you been applying in Montana now? I'm at 35+ years....

I'm at 30 years in 2015. One of the funniest things that I have ever read in a book was in "The Life of The Hunt" when your bride drew a bighorn sheep tag on her first try. I don't remember the exact quote, but it had to do with sulking being prevented by it being a ewe tag.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
"She drew a bighorn tag. Luckily, it was her second choice, a ewe permit. I say 'luckily' because if she'd received a ram tag on her first try, I'd have pouted so much she'd have divorced me."

I drew a ewe tag of my own 15 years later, but just added up how many times I've applied for a Montana ram tag now, and it's 40. Still behind Pat by a few....

Eileen did draw a Montana bull moose tag on her first try. I also got to go along as chief guide and packer on that one!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
PVT Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Still makes me laugh. Only someone who has been applying for special tags for decades would understand.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

This picture was a gift from the late Duncan Gilchrist. It's the Chadwick ram, and is the world record Stone Sheep. If memory serves me correctly, it was killed in 1936 near the head of the Muskwa River in Northern British Columbia. Both horns are over 50" long.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cool thread. Lots of nice rams. I have never hunted them but have been lucky enough to see them several times while in Colorado.

1rst one was in 96 we were headed into White River national forest near Merideth. I was riding in the back of the truck and a Full curl and a couple of smaller rams crossed the road right behind us. None of the guys in front seen them and they never believed me.
Then back in 2002 or 03 we were in RMNP and I was glassing a line of snow way off in the distance and a small ram crossed the snow field.

Then last fall me and the wife were on I-70 going into Glenwood and there was about twelve of them right on the side of the road. Could of reached out and touched them. Always a thrill to see them.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 64 invisible), 2,389 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,269
Posts18,486,588
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.