Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Not trying to. I'm going over to hunt and kill stuff. I'm going to enjoy it. I'm going to eat some of it. I'm going to give some away. I'm not gonna give a ratsazzz what you think of it. Fair enough?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Not trying to. I'm going over to hunt and kill stuff. I'm going to enjoy it. I'm going to eat some of it. I'm going to give some away. I'm not gonna give a ratsazzz what you think of it. Fair enough?

Fair enough, why not just say that in response to my first post on the subject? Pics or Trophies?

[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Chipolopolo
I find just thrill killing repugnant behavior. And that is exactly what you are describing.

"Thrill killing." You can't be serious. Do you disagree with the famous quote by Ortega y Gasset?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Nope, you'll have to enlighten me. I have not of heard of Ortega

Always willing to learn something new.

Last edited by Chipolopolo; 03/06/15.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I would think that someone writing articles on this subject would know that quote.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted."

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by smokepole
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted."

There's adequate room for both of our philosophies. All my post's refer to my own feelings. Last time I checked this was a forum for the free exchange of thoughts and ideas.

Personally, I won't pull the trigger unless there is further engagement. Whether it be for meat here in the states or for trophies overseas. I see no reason otherwise.

In my younger days, my first few safari's were in fact "whack-n-stack" affairs. Now, I'm more patient and selective.

Last edited by Chipolopolo; 03/06/15.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I agree there's room for more than one philosophy, there are many reasons people hunt. That's why I was puzzled by your quote to JG below, you seemed to be casting aspersions on his reasons to hunt:

I find just thrill killing repugnant behavior. And that is exactly what you are describing.

And yes, it is a forum for free exchange of ideas, that's what I'm doing.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I suppose it could be seen as overly aggressive. If it was taken that way, I do apologize.

But again it was my opinion.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No apology necessary (to me anyway), we're just exchanging ideas freely!

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I suppose it could be seen as overly aggressive. If it was taken that way, I do apologize.

And we've all got opinions, but... I still fail to see how hanging a trophy on the wall makes me a better hunter, shows more respect for the animal, or makes my hunt better than the fellow who elects to simply take some photos... Or maybe takes home one or two skull mounts and a flat skin, rather than a museum full of taxidermy mounts.

The actual physical trophy on the wall means very little more to me than does a photo on the wall - often the photo means more as it probably has me, as well as my sons, my father, or my friends with whom I shared the hunt.

Ah well. Different opinions.

As some have stated, there is almost no more room in my home for more "stuff" hanging on the walls. I've taken to giving away trophies in recent years. Not that I had anything all that splendid I suppose anyway.

Always a learning experience here at The Fire.

Feel free to completely disregard my opinion as I've not yet hunted Africa. grin

Regards, Guy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KMGHuntingSafaris
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Originally Posted by KMGHuntingSafaris
"Shipping from Africa to Chicago was quoted at $1400"

Not so sure about this figure. We have been quoting regularly on Dip and Pack crates to the USA recently, and they run about $800 for the shipping. My Canadian representative shipped his 7 mounted animals from SA to Canada at $1500.

I am 100% sure but I do understand the game "buisness" of d, p & s

It seems everyone gets paid

Outfitter scratches the taxidermist back in East London.......gets a rebate

Taxidermist pushes work through "his" shipping agent.......gets a rebate

Shipping agent must make up for it all in the end and charges as much $$ as they feel fits

IMO.......it's a massive scam of holding the hunter over a barrel

I won't be a willing victim of this game......and wasn't

Ted,
I'm not saying that's not what you were charged. I assume that this was a couple of years ago. (Maybe let us know when you were charged this and through who?) Might help others to not fall into the same trap with the same people.
I'm just saying that the figures you posted looks expensive, even at what my hunters are paying in 2015.

My hunt was June 2014 the d&p charges were quoted at that time

The shipping quote was received December 2014

If you or anyone out there want names do PM as I won't name drop on an open forum

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
That's exactly what I'm going to do. Go, enjoy the hunt and memories, leave the trophies there except for maybe one european mount. I want to go to Africa, the hunt and airfare will be a lot. I can't afford all those mounts. Africa is one of my bucket list hunts.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by GuyM

And we've all got opinions, but... I still fail to see how hanging a trophy on the wall makes me a better hunter, shows more respect for the animal, or makes my hunt better than the fellow who elects to simply take some photos... Or maybe takes home one or two skull mounts and a flat skin, rather than a museum full of taxidermy mounts.

The actual physical trophy on the wall means very little more to me than does a photo on the wall - often the photo means more as it probably has me, as well as my sons, my father, or my friends with whom I shared the hunt.

Ah well. Different opinions.

As some have stated, there is almost no more room in my home for more "stuff" hanging on the walls. I've taken to giving away trophies in recent years. Not that I had anything all that splendid I suppose anyway.

Always a learning experience here at The Fire.

Feel free to completely disregard my opinion as I've not yet hunted Africa. grin

Regards, Guy

Hi Guy,

Your opinion is as valid as is anyones, regardless you've been to Africa or not.

Would you feel it's OK to shoot a Mule Deer here in the USA, take pictures and walk away?

I don't think it makes you a better hunter, in my opinion, it makes you a more responsible sportsman. You've taken the steps to personally be completely responsible for the entire process.

This is a relatively new mindset. I feel it's a product of the internet. We just desire megapixel proof we've been to Africa. Slathering Facebook with hunting TROPHY pictures is all to common. Truth be known it will be the end of international sport hunting. We as sportsmen have been responsible for the rapid coming end of hunting Elephants and Lions.

My wife told me back in 2004, "You better go kill a lion before its too late" I did, she was right. She also told me the same about polar bear hunting and it was too late.

We are guilty of creating our own demise. I have a personal philosophy about how we should conduct ourselves in public and on the internet about this. "The first rule of fight club…..don't talk about fight club."

If those who would stop our sport can't see it happening, they can't stop that which they don't know.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Chipolopolo

I disagree with almost everything you've said I this thread

So much so I find myself shaking my head in disbelief

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Ted,

Killing is a different thing to all of us. Don't try to paint me as some anti. I promise your going down the wrong road there. I have hunted nearly every African country that is legal to hunt and some that are closed since I've been there. I've killed the Big Five nearly 2 times and have killed nearly every species of Antelope on the continent.

Time changes how we feel about nearly everything. I have killed animals at times in a very sloppy manner. I've seen these badly shot animals cling to life so hard that I wanted nothing more than for this animal to die quickly and as painlessly as is possible.

Seeing this so many times has given me an opinion about that value of life…all life. If I devalue that life, to mere megapixels, I would sooner quit hunting. And regardless of what anyone posts thats what this is.

More megapixels = less taxidermy= more hunting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Like I said......I do not share your point of view

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

to be clear, "Hunting in Africa" you feel no further responsibility to your prey after killing it than a picture?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

to be clear, "Hunting in Africa" you feel no further responsibility to your prey after killing it than a picture?

Taxidermy has never been a responsibility of any hunter

Heads on a wall mean nothing

They are however the means that some men measures ones dick it seams

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
You didn't really answer the question.

My position isn't just about heads on the wall. Rugs, Euro mounts, horns on a board whatever.

Nothing but pics is my question? (unless it's a cull)

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 64 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,444
Posts18,470,916
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.