Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I'm interested in going back to South Africa or perhaps Namibia for another dose of African adventure. On my first trip, I took 8 species of plains game, and had a wonderful time living out a lifelong dream. I also found the that the taxidermy and shipping and waiting for trophies was just too costly and took too long and too much worry. I'd like to go back and have more African hunting experiences, but don't really care to bring back more trophies, the photos and memories would be enough. I am a hunter of modest means, and don't have room in my house for more "stuff" anyway. ( After a year, I haven't even hung up my eland and gemsbok heads) I might keep the teeth of another warthog, or the outer horn sheath of an eland, but that's about it. I'm more of a hunter-naturalist than a trophy hunter for sure, but the entire PH / Outfitter system seems geared to trophy collectors. I'd like to shoot a few antelope, perhaps a few birds, do some fishing, while learning about the environment and the critters that live there. Are these sacrilegious thoughts? Does anybody offer that kind of experience?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Absolutely. We've had a few hunters come in, hunt, take some good photos, and leave. We have to be honest, taxidermy IS a substantial cost to a safari and one that needs to be budgeted for.

Please check your PM folder.

Last edited by KMGHuntingSafaris; 03/02/15.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I have done a couple of hunts in Africa like you described. A couple of days of photographic safaris mixed with fishing and hunting is always fun. My wife and I spent a month in Zimbabwe once doing just that. My last couple of trips I have not spent any money on pack and dip, air freight, agents, taxidermists, etc. The memories have been more than enough.

You may consider Mokore Safaris in Mozambique. They have a several hundred thousand acre unfenced concession with great plains game hunting. They also operate an Eco Camp in the area that offers experiences other than hunting.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Another note is consider the time of year you go. Depending on the area you can see some unique things when the seasons change.

For me I love being in Zim during the month of November. I have seen rivers fill up overnight, grass sprouting, mopane trees turn green, and red velvet mites appear with the first rain.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I huted South Africa in June 2014

10 fabulous days and eleven different species of game in the salt

I opted for no import due to the 10k worth of cost involved

I am more than satisfied with a great photo album and money saved on heads on the wall will get spent on other hunting

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Check around, theres a number of outfits offering cull hunts. More shooting, less trophies! grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I don't think it is sacreligeous at all....I was a bit surprised at the cost of taxidermy for a safari, and I don't have the wall space, either (yet, I must admit that I REALLY wanted that gemsbok and wildebeest head as a reminder of my first trip!)
As long as the meat is used, I have issue with leaving heads/hides back in SA. However, I do believe it you DON'T export the trophies, you will be charged VAT on the trophy rates (which I still think is cheaper....ALOT cheaper...than taxidermy rates).
Maybe Marius can weigh in on that, as I am not certain.....

"If you dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
While I admire the artistry and workmanship that goes into the taxidermy, you certainly need sufficient wall space, or even a trophy room to display it. However, a zebra rug on the wall would be cool.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
1st time we went to Africa, we brought everything back. Last couple of times, not. Pictures good enough. God grandson's stuff came back, but just a couple of things. No VAT charged on the stuff I left there the last times I was there. One big difference between now and the old days is, the pictures so much better, they can actually fill in quite nicely, and can get poster size ones to put up that can really show what's there.

Ghost
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 16gauge
However, I do believe it you DON'T export the trophies, you will be charged VAT on the trophy rates (which I still think is cheaper....ALOT cheaper...than taxidermy rates).
Maybe Marius can weigh in on that, as I am not certain.....

You are absolutely correct. If nothing get's exported, there is VAT payable on the animals. VAT is 14%. Excellent point.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I did 8 safaris and only on the last one did I take a trophy. It was for Elephant and I brought the tusks back. Prior to that I gave all my trophies I shot to the PH/Outfitter to do with as he desired. The Ph actually mounted my Oribi and Waterbuck and another PH friend had a pedastal mount made of my Sable. I have 2 Zebra rugs that were actually gifts from friends there. I just don't particular have any use for trophies. Also I live in a modern townhouse and the ceilings are a little less than 8ft. Also my late wife has almost everywall covered with nice (and valuable) oil paintings we had collected over the years. I have my memories and many photos to show. They are all I need. I plowed the Taxidermy and shipping fees into more animals and longer safaris. Worked for me.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Quite understandable thought. The experience is #1, mounts #2. Still figuring out where a 54" Kudu, Gemsbok, and a few others are going to land......not to mention the Bison from Utah. I just thought a skull/horns (ok european mount) paled in comparison to a shoulder mount.

I do a lot of tap-dancing around the wife and give friends dirty looks when the pour the salt in the wound - they know better than to ask where animal A or B is going - but they do it anyway, and always in front of the wife.

Go, pay the VAT and enjoy every minute!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I just went through this with a PH. I explained to him that my wife and I really wanted to visit and hunt in Namibia, but after a 2009 safari to RSA, my "man cave" is full and and I don't need any more mounts.

He assured me, that NOTHING goes to waste and if I would be satisfied with photos, that was fine with them. Obviously, the costs of taxidermy and shipping is significant, and could make the difference between safari, or no safari.

I plan to go this route.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is the reason I haven't gone to Africa. I love the idea of it. But I don't know what to do with the trophies? I don't want big mounts taking up my wall space anymore (I sold off my two Moose mounts just to get the wall space back) and I'm a meat hunter but you don't get to bring the meat home from Africa. It just doesn't work out well for me.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
You can just have European mounts done.. They are easy to move, and cost far less than full mounts.. I have a relative that went, and only brought home photos of the game taken..

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
as far as im concerned the experience is worth more than any trophy brought back....would happily go even with no camera along and nothing brought home but memories........but would REALLY prefer to bring the camera too laugh

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by moosemike
I'm a meat hunter but you don't get to bring the meat home from Africa. It just doesn't work out well for me.

Mike I am a meat hunter too, but take comfort in the fact that all the meat ( and a lot of other stuff that we don't consider edible) gets used for human food when a game animal is shot in most of Africa. I did get to taste some of my animals on my first safari, and I'd insist on the opportunity to taste some of each on my next safari, but regardless of who has the meal, all the meat gets utilized by someone, and they are grateful.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
You can just have European mounts done.. They are easy to move, and cost far less than full mounts.. I have a relative that went, and only brought home photos of the game taken..

What is rarely discussed is the cost of export

1st there is the cost of cleaning the skull....this must be done to be legal to export

Then there is insecticide dipped, wrapped and packed in a wooden crate and air shipped

After your pacage leaves Africa it can only be shipped to certain airports that will receive game

After US arrival a USDA approved broker must be hired to clear your crate and pay game and fish fees

Then the crate can be picked up or shipped with more cost to you

Dip and pack for my 10 animals was going to cost $2400
Shipping from Africa to Chicago was quoted at $1400
Broker fee at Chicago was quoted at $500
Shipping from Chicago to me was quoted at $300

$4600 for a crate of cleaned skulls and salted capes

Add in a $9000 quote for 10 shoulder mounts and I decided to pass on import and just embrace the memories and photographs

The cost after the safari is seldom talked about

It is as much if not more than the hunt itself depending on animals killed

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
"After US arrival a USDA approved broker must be hired to clear your crate and pay game and fish fees"

This is wrong...you can, and I and many others have done so, do this yourself...and no fish and game fees....

but yes, none of the rest is cheap...

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
The costs are about the same for importing trophies to Canada as what Tedthorn listed. I'd rather hunt more.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fgold767
"After US arrival a USDA approved broker must be hired to clear your crate and pay game and fish fees"

This is wrong...you can, and I and many others have done so, do this yourself...and no fish and game fees....

but yes, none of the rest is cheap...

Yes you can do this yourself but most don't.....fish and game fee differ depending on animals imported

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by castnblast
I'm a meat hunter but you don't get to bring the meat home from Africa. It just doesn't work out well for me.

Mike I am a meat hunter too, but take comfort in the fact that all the meat ( and a lot of other stuff that we don't consider edible) gets used for human food when a game animal is shot in most of Africa. I did get to taste some of my animals on my first safari, and I'd insist on the opportunity to taste some of each on my next safari, but regardless of who has the meal, all the meat gets utilized by someone, and they are grateful.

I do realize all the meat gets eaten. But my only impetus to hunt is to fill my freezer. I mean I enjoy the entire experience but meat is my goal.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I'm leaning more in the direction of getting high quality photos done and forgetting the trophy dip/pack/shipping for reasons already stated by tedthorn.

This guy has done a couple of things for me, and does absolutely fantastic work.
http://www.trophyshotprints.com/

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
JG

Did you frame your prints from Roland or just hang them?

Cameraland also does quality enlargments

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Been to Africa several times, and value the experience greatly.
I always bring something back, however, in addition to photos and memories- sometimes just a hide, or skull and horns, but often shoulder mount and full mount materials.
Some animals, like a monster Sable, or Kudu, or Waterbuck, etc., just deserve to be preserved. They provide an endless source of conversation about past hunts and experiences with friends, acquaintances, and family members who visit our home.

There's no getting around the expense, though- the last safari to SA resulted in $3100 for dip, crate, and ship etc. costs, and another $6000 to the taxidermist for a mix of full-body, shoulder, and European mounts.
It was, however, probably our last trip to Africa, and most of my future hunt plans are more meat hunts than anything else, here in the US.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
It has been 20 years since I went to Africa, but we had the European mounts done there, and shipped to us.. Of course they had to clear customs. I don't have the cost, but it was quite modest.. But a pal had his mounted.. That cost as much as the trip.. I am glad I got the European mt. when I look at them, each has a memory for me.. They remind me of a place I loved to visit, people I loved to be with, and very likely something I will never do again.

Molon Labe
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by tedthorn
JG

Did you frame your prints from Roland or just hang them?

Cameraland also does quality enlargments

I splurged for the metallic prints (2). They come with a hanger on the back so no need for framing. I haven't personally seen his regular prints, but I'm sure they're great too.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Gents,
My .02, Hunting in Africa is a process. From planning, to buying stuff, half of which you don't need and will never use to actually getting there.

The taxidermy is a fundamental part of the process, from which, in my opinion you cannot hide. If you Safari in Africa, anywhere in Africa and merely take a few snapshots and leave the rest there, you are devaluing the lives of these animals to a few megapixels on some SD card.

Is that who we really are as sportsmen? If this is representative of the demographic, perhaps the antis have a point.

If you go to Africa, take in the sights, the sounds and kill some stuff, take a few shots and walk away from the balance of your responsibility, you are in my opinion a killer only. Going on Safari, killing and walking away is no different than paying a woman for her services and throwing a few hundred bucks at her on your way out the door.

Perhaps reduce your trophy list by an animal or two and take some responsibility for your actions. Safari hunting isn't cheap, don't cheapen yourself.

I have an article coming out, or perhaps is out now in African Hunter stating these exact same thoughts.

We all see things differently.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"Shipping from Africa to Chicago was quoted at $1400"

Not so sure about this figure. We have been quoting regularly on Dip and Pack crates to the USA recently, and they run about $800 for the shipping. My Canadian representative shipped his 7 mounted animals from SA to Canada at $1500.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I was in RSA in 2013, took the god grandson. He got 5 animals. Had the hides tanned there, and the skulls cleaned and all. tanning was cheaper there, and from the quality I have seen of the stuff I had tanned here, better. Ended up cost like $900 if that for the dipping , tanning, shipping, etc., and another $600 for air fare. There is NOTHING hard about picking up your own stuff at customs. The only animals that need a separate USDA review are warthogs, or other pigs. Mine came into BWI and took me all of about 15 minutes, well, getting the forms signed by customs and driving next door to get the stuff, 1/2 hour. But you need to let the taxidermy folks in Africa, KNOW you will pick them up yourself, so you get the notice and can go to the customs office yourself, or they will be sent to freight person who will charge you $200 or so for nothing. How much your taxidermy bill in SA going to cost going to have a lot to do with what all you bring back. If you bring back a Kudu, Eland, Nyala, and Oryx, all are fairly big and going to need a bigger shipping crate, throw in the smaller stuff like a springbok, bushbuck etc. and takes up a little more room. The 5 animals we brought back, a Zebra, 2 Impala, a Black Wildebeeste and an Nyala, were in a crate about 18" tall, and 30x48" if that. If you got all the stuff I said above (kudu etc), would need a bigger crate, and cost more. For someone going over on a 5 or7 day hunt and getting the smaller plains game, the cleaning, dipping and shipping costs shouldn't be that expensive. As I noted, I got the hides tanned there, as was only a little more than drying and dusting, and such. If you do it that way is done and ready to go, when you get it back here. I also took pictures of the god grandson, and made poster size prints for him of him and his animals.

Ghost
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KMGHuntingSafaris

Not so sure about this figure. We have been quoting regularly on Dip and Pack crates to the USA recently, and they run about $800 for the shipping. My Canadian representative shipped his 7 mounted animals from SA to Canada at $1500.

I am 100% sure but I do understand the game "buisness" of d, p & s

It seems everyone gets paid

Outfitter scratches the taxidermist back in East London.......gets a rebate

Taxidermist pushes work through "his" shipping agent.......gets a rebate

Shipping agent must make up for it all in the end and charges as much $$ as they feel fits

IMO.......it's a massive scam of holding the hunter over a barrel

I won't be a willing victim of this game......and wasn't

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Chipolopolo
Gents,
My .02, Hunting in Africa is a process. From planning, to buying stuff, half of which you don't need and will never use to actually getting there.

The taxidermy is a fundamental part of the process, from which, in my opinion you cannot hide. If you Safari in Africa, anywhere in Africa and merely take a few snapshots and leave the rest there, you are devaluing the lives of these animals to a few megapixels on some SD card.

Is that who we really are as sportsmen? If this is representative of the demographic, perhaps the antis have a point.

If you go to Africa, take in the sights, the sounds and kill some stuff, take a few shots and walk away from the balance of your responsibility, you are in my opinion a killer only. Going on Safari, killing and walking away is no different than paying a woman for her services and throwing a few hundred bucks at her on your way out the door.

Perhaps reduce your trophy list by an animal or two and take some responsibility for your actions. Safari hunting isn't cheap, don't cheapen yourself.

I have an article coming out, or perhaps is out now in African Hunter stating these exact same thoughts.

I don't disagree. That's why I'm contemplating a two animal safari. I'd shoot whatever good animal we came across the first day so I'd get to eat fresh meat all week and then I'd devote the rest of the hunt to a Kudu.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Those 2 animals may very well be the most expensive you ever kill

Since your a meat hunter......think Texas for safari

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Shipping agent must make up for it all in the end and charges as much $$ as they feel fits

Ted,
I'm not saying that's not what you were charged. I assume that this was a couple of years ago. (Maybe let us know when you were charged this and through who?) Might help others to not fall into the same trap with the same people.
I'm just saying that the figures you posted looks expensive, even at what my hunters are paying in 2015.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Gents,

With all due respect, article or no article, IMHO you couldn't be more wrong.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Let me see: If we take Chipolopolo's post seriously, it means that if we don't have EVERY big game animal we ever kill mounted, somehow, then we're irresponsible hunters. Gee, I didn't know taxidermy validated my experience, and made me a better person in the eyes of anti-hunters.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yeah, but I'd feel kind of funny with a herd of cow elk staring at me.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Let me see: If we take Chipolopolo's post seriously, it means that if we don't have EVERY big game animal we ever kill mounted, somehow, then we're irresponsible hunters. Gee, I didn't know taxidermy validated my experience, and made me a better person in the eyes of anti-hunters.

Well, let's break it down.

What is the only cognitive difference between a photo safari and a shooting but pics only safari? Seems to me the only difference is the killing, hence my killing comment.

They are called Trophy fee's, trophy rooms, trophy shipping. You can't change the definition of trophy hunting simply to suit your needs.

I find just thrill killing repugnant behavior. And that is exactly what you are describing.

As far as mounting everything that I kill, yes, I do. But I would feel that Euro mounts, rugs, pillows whatever shows some feeling of responsibility to the animal.

The taking of life, to me, is not a casual endeavor. I have a great deal of respect for all life.

To my point about the Anti's. If they have an argument as to photo safaris, how are they wrong calling you a killer if that is THE ONLY difference between their safari and yours?

Not saying my motive are pure, just I have accepted the complete responsibility of the experience. I am not shortcutting it and lessening the cost just to go back sooner.

If I were a PH and my client was only taking photo's, you can be sure the real "decent" kudu would die and not get passed up in favor of continuing the hunt for something special.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Chipper, I was trying to be nice in my first response. Last year I took my first trip to Namibia. What a wonderful place, a place in which I literally saw hundreds upon hundreds of head of game over 8 days. I killed 10 cull animals, and only a couple of trophies. I could've felt like a douche for shooting all those culls, that is until we took some of the meat to what I'd call an orphanage of some sort, and the rest to a meat market where lots of other people would be able to enjoy the spoils. I don't feel the least bit bad about myself for killing, yes, I'm a killer, those animals. Not in the least. You see I have a soft spot for helping people who cannot help themselves for whatever reason. That's what I did. If it weren't for killers, like most if not all hunters are, wildlife would die a slow, cruel death. To answer your question, starving people can't eat pictures.

I've seen, the results of, and the remedies for overpopulation of a deer herd in Central Texas. Mother nature's way ain't always pretty.

As a matter of fact, I enjoyed killing those animals so much, an helping feed the poor over there, I'm doing the exact same thing again in April. I'm also very glad you aren't my PH, as we'd have a come to Jesus meeting somewhere in the middle of Africa.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Chipper, I was trying to be nice in my first response. Last year I took my first trip to Namibia. What a wonderful place, a place in which I literally saw hundreds upon hundreds of head of game over 8 days. I killed 10 cull animals, and only a couple of trophies. I could've felt like a douche for shooting all those culls, that is until we took some of the meat to what I'd call an orphanage of some sort, and the rest to a meat market where lots of other people would be able to enjoy the spoils. I don't feel the least bit bad about myself for killing, yes, I'm a killer, those animals. Not in the least. You see I have a soft spot for helping people who cannot help themselves for whatever reason. That's what I did. If it weren't for killers, like most if not all hunters are, wildlife would die a slow, cruel death. To answer your question, starving people can't eat pictures.

I've seen, the results of, and the remedies for overpopulation of a deer herd in Central Texas. Mother nature's way ain't always pretty.

As a matter of fact, I enjoyed killing those animals so much, an helping feed the poor over there, I'm doing the exact same thing again in April. I'm also very glad you aren't my PH, as we'd have a come to Jesus meeting somewhere in the middle of Africa.

Nice try. tired

Your introducing feeding the youths, while noble, is a straw man argument. Also, a cull hunt is in fact a discernible difference to which I have no objection to. Its called a cull hunt, not a trophy hunt.

You cannot be intellectually honest with me or this forum and say that you are going to feed disadvantaged children.

And, if you had a problem with me saving a 60 inch kudu for a client whom wanted to put it on the wall, I would call for a charter and send you home. laugh

Last edited by Chipolopolo; 03/06/15.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Not trying to. I'm going over to hunt and kill stuff. I'm going to enjoy it. I'm going to eat some of it. I'm going to give some away. I'm not gonna give a ratsazzz what you think of it. Fair enough?

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Not trying to. I'm going over to hunt and kill stuff. I'm going to enjoy it. I'm going to eat some of it. I'm going to give some away. I'm not gonna give a ratsazzz what you think of it. Fair enough?

Fair enough, why not just say that in response to my first post on the subject? Pics or Trophies?

[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I find just thrill killing repugnant behavior. And that is exactly what you are describing.

"Thrill killing." You can't be serious. Do you disagree with the famous quote by Ortega y Gasset?

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Nope, you'll have to enlighten me. I have not of heard of Ortega

Always willing to learn something new.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I would think that someone writing articles on this subject would know that quote.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted."

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by smokepole
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted."

There's adequate room for both of our philosophies. All my post's refer to my own feelings. Last time I checked this was a forum for the free exchange of thoughts and ideas.

Personally, I won't pull the trigger unless there is further engagement. Whether it be for meat here in the states or for trophies overseas. I see no reason otherwise.

In my younger days, my first few safari's were in fact "whack-n-stack" affairs. Now, I'm more patient and selective.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I agree there's room for more than one philosophy, there are many reasons people hunt. That's why I was puzzled by your quote to JG below, you seemed to be casting aspersions on his reasons to hunt:

And yes, it is a forum for free exchange of ideas, that's what I'm doing.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I suppose it could be seen as overly aggressive. If it was taken that way, I do apologize.

But again it was my opinion.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No apology necessary (to me anyway), we're just exchanging ideas freely!

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I suppose it could be seen as overly aggressive. If it was taken that way, I do apologize.

And we've all got opinions, but... I still fail to see how hanging a trophy on the wall makes me a better hunter, shows more respect for the animal, or makes my hunt better than the fellow who elects to simply take some photos... Or maybe takes home one or two skull mounts and a flat skin, rather than a museum full of taxidermy mounts.

The actual physical trophy on the wall means very little more to me than does a photo on the wall - often the photo means more as it probably has me, as well as my sons, my father, or my friends with whom I shared the hunt.

Ah well. Different opinions.

As some have stated, there is almost no more room in my home for more "stuff" hanging on the walls. I've taken to giving away trophies in recent years. Not that I had anything all that splendid I suppose anyway.

Always a learning experience here at The Fire.

Feel free to completely disregard my opinion as I've not yet hunted Africa. grin

Regards, Guy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Ted,
I'm not saying that's not what you were charged. I assume that this was a couple of years ago. (Maybe let us know when you were charged this and through who?) Might help others to not fall into the same trap with the same people.
I'm just saying that the figures you posted looks expensive, even at what my hunters are paying in 2015.

My hunt was June 2014 the d&p charges were quoted at that time

The shipping quote was received December 2014

If you or anyone out there want names do PM as I won't name drop on an open forum

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
That's exactly what I'm going to do. Go, enjoy the hunt and memories, leave the trophies there except for maybe one european mount. I want to go to Africa, the hunt and airfare will be a lot. I can't afford all those mounts. Africa is one of my bucket list hunts.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by GuyM

And we've all got opinions, but... I still fail to see how hanging a trophy on the wall makes me a better hunter, shows more respect for the animal, or makes my hunt better than the fellow who elects to simply take some photos... Or maybe takes home one or two skull mounts and a flat skin, rather than a museum full of taxidermy mounts.

The actual physical trophy on the wall means very little more to me than does a photo on the wall - often the photo means more as it probably has me, as well as my sons, my father, or my friends with whom I shared the hunt.

Ah well. Different opinions.

As some have stated, there is almost no more room in my home for more "stuff" hanging on the walls. I've taken to giving away trophies in recent years. Not that I had anything all that splendid I suppose anyway.

Always a learning experience here at The Fire.

Feel free to completely disregard my opinion as I've not yet hunted Africa. grin

Regards, Guy

Hi Guy,

Your opinion is as valid as is anyones, regardless you've been to Africa or not.

Would you feel it's OK to shoot a Mule Deer here in the USA, take pictures and walk away?

I don't think it makes you a better hunter, in my opinion, it makes you a more responsible sportsman. You've taken the steps to personally be completely responsible for the entire process.

This is a relatively new mindset. I feel it's a product of the internet. We just desire megapixel proof we've been to Africa. Slathering Facebook with hunting TROPHY pictures is all to common. Truth be known it will be the end of international sport hunting. We as sportsmen have been responsible for the rapid coming end of hunting Elephants and Lions.

My wife told me back in 2004, "You better go kill a lion before its too late" I did, she was right. She also told me the same about polar bear hunting and it was too late.

We are guilty of creating our own demise. I have a personal philosophy about how we should conduct ourselves in public and on the internet about this. "The first rule of fight club…..don't talk about fight club."

If those who would stop our sport can't see it happening, they can't stop that which they don't know.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Chipolopolo

I disagree with almost everything you've said I this thread

So much so I find myself shaking my head in disbelief

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Ted,

Killing is a different thing to all of us. Don't try to paint me as some anti. I promise your going down the wrong road there. I have hunted nearly every African country that is legal to hunt and some that are closed since I've been there. I've killed the Big Five nearly 2 times and have killed nearly every species of Antelope on the continent.

Time changes how we feel about nearly everything. I have killed animals at times in a very sloppy manner. I've seen these badly shot animals cling to life so hard that I wanted nothing more than for this animal to die quickly and as painlessly as is possible.

Seeing this so many times has given me an opinion about that value of life…all life. If I devalue that life, to mere megapixels, I would sooner quit hunting. And regardless of what anyone posts thats what this is.

More megapixels = less taxidermy= more hunting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Like I said......I do not share your point of view

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

to be clear, "Hunting in Africa" you feel no further responsibility to your prey after killing it than a picture?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

to be clear, "Hunting in Africa" you feel no further responsibility to your prey after killing it than a picture?

Taxidermy has never been a responsibility of any hunter

Heads on a wall mean nothing

They are however the means that some men measures ones dick it seams

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
You didn't really answer the question.

My position isn't just about heads on the wall. Rugs, Euro mounts, horns on a board whatever.

Nothing but pics is my question? (unless it's a cull)

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

Taxidermy has never been a responsibility of any hunter

Heads on a wall mean nothing

They are however the means that some men measures ones dick it seams

It's seems.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All of my horrns are mostly in a big box in my barn.......some I gave away

My 2014 PG hunt was 10 days and 11 different species of game

Nothing giant but not a cull hunt

Only pictures.....lots of pictures

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
If you sent nothing home how did you come up with all these fee's?

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
All of my horrns are mostly in a big box in my barn.......some I gave away

I assume these horn to be from deer, elk N/A stuff

My 2014 PG hunt was 10 days and 11 different species of game

Nothing giant but not a cull hunt

Only pictures.....lots of pictures

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you sent nothing home how did you come up with all these fee's?

Re-read the post and your question is answered

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Chipolopolo,

I find it astonishing that somebody who claims to have thought so deeply about sport hunting has never read Jose Ortega y Gasset.

I find it equally astonishing that you could seriously post this about taking and displaying trophy photos: "We as sportsmen have been responsible for the rapid coming end of hunting Elephants and Lions."

Trophy hunters, whatever their motivation, are among the primary reasons there IS any hunting for lions and elephants. If not for the safari industry's money and time in the field, more African wildlife would disappear, as it has in countries where safari hunting has been shut down. What happens then is poaching takes over, normally with the complicity of the country's government officials. Poaching of lions and elephants is big business these days, and can usually be traced back to Chinese demand, whether for "medicinal" or status desires. That is the real threat to both species, NOT posting photos on Facebook.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Chipolopolo - I do truly love hunting mule deer by the way...

All of them that I've hunted & killed ended up in my freezer. Some ended up on the wall. A few never even got a photo, but they did go in the freezer. Never felt a need to hang them all on the wall.

I do understand the value of a trophy. Have a couple of bear rugs, a good elk rack, a few mulie skull/euro mounts, and what not around. By no means though do all of my kills end up as a taxidermy mount.

It's the experience of the hunt I'm after. I do enjoy the meat, and I enjoy having a few "trophies" around. There's a bear skull nearby, on the bookshelf. The big elk antlers are on the wall near where I'm banging away on this silly computer..

Some of my best/favorite "trophies" though are photos of hunts with family and friends. Not the antlers on the wall, or the rug draped over the back of the couch. Those are cool, but not required for me to feel I've fully participated in the hunt.

Venison... Now that's good stuff!

Apparently opinions do vary... And that's fine. Well done taxidermy is pretty impressive. It's just not necessary for me.

Regards, Guy

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
In Chinyenja (Zambia) there is no native word for "game." The word they use means "meat" and that's all it is to them. If it weren't for sport hunters and their dollars giving value to the game, all there would be is meat…and not much of that.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Chipolopolo,

I find it astonishing that somebody who claims to have thought so deeply about sport hunting has never read Jose Ortega y Gasset.

I find it equally astonishing that you could seriously post this about taking and displaying trophy photos: "We as sportsmen have been responsible for the rapid coming end of hunting Elephants and Lions."

Trophy hunters, whatever their motivation, are among the primary reasons there IS any hunting for lions and elephants. If not for the safari industry's money and time in the field, more African wildlife would disappear, as it has in countries where safari hunting has been shut down. What happens then is poaching takes over, normally with the complicity of the country's government officials. Poaching of lions and elephants is big business these days, and can usually be traced back to Chinese demand, whether for "medicinal" or status desires. That is the real threat to both species, NOT posting photos on Facebook.

Are you some sort of troll, or really as ignorant as you appear? Yes, you have the right to express your opinions here, but....

Mule Deer,

You surely can't be serious. I don't need to have read Gasset to have deeply seeded moral and philosophical beliefs as to these thoughts. I read much and write some.

My point about Facebook missed it's mark with you. I personally have done much for conservation all throughout Africa, I dare say substantially more than most have.

The point is this; The great unwashed masses of Americans that sit on the fence about hunting for Lions and Elephants are being educated by our opposition. The pictures all over Facebook, allow our opposition to define us, we do not have the opportunity to define ourselves. public opinion my friend.

Lets say the entire universe of African hunters is 10,000 per year. (Craig Boddingtons numbers, not mine) out of that 10K perhaps 1000 shoot a Jumbo. there are right around 400 lions shot yearly. some of those Lion hunters surely contain some of the same Elephant hunters so lets say the number is 1200.

So, out of 350 million Americans there are 1200 that hunt Lions and Elephants. You think we are going to win with those numbers? I don't.

They only way to push the end as far down the road as is possible is, for us the KEEP OUR COLLECTIVE MOUTHS SHUT. (keeping the photos off social media) I am well aware of the hunter/conservation model. I served on the BOD of SCI for 11 years, so I get it. Lots of people react as you do when they first read or hear my message. What we are doing isn't working.

I hunted CAR last year for 24 days. In 24 days, I only saw a handful of Elephant tracks. All those tracks had human tracks in tow. During the days and some nights we could hear AK47's off in the distance. The Sudanese Elephant Poachers, killing Elephants to fund their human rights atrocities in Sudan. The Chinese purchase the ivory, it's no secret, there isn't a politician alive with the appetite to take on China.

These poachers are hard men, walking around in the bush, some on donkeys. They kill the Elephants, remove the ivory and walk behind the camel trains loaded with ivory to Khartoum where they sell the ivory. I ran into a group of 7 riding on donkeys. These were the fiercest looking men I 'd ever seen. Their long thin faces told me everything I needed to know. They wore jungle fatigues and berets. Their donkeys had blankets on their backs, hiding the AK's from sight. They bore no hostility towards myself or the hunting party. Just traded glances and we parted ways

Our goals are mutual, our passions the same. I just think the way to further our own effort is to keep under the radar. Not a troll, a passionate sportsman. Not afraid to engage, willing to learn.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
In Chinyenja (Zambia) there is no native word for "game." The word they use means "meat" and that's all it is to them. If it weren't for sport hunters and their dollars giving value to the game, all there would be is meat…and not much of that.

The word is Nyama.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Would you feel it's OK to shoot a Mule Deer here in the USA, take pictures and walk away?

If you're talking about leaving the carcass there, it doesn't matter what Guy feels, it's against the law, a felony in some states. Recovering the meat for human consumption is required.

So if the meat is recovered and used by the locals, tell me again what makes a hunter more "ethical" if he makes the heads into trophies?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Chipolopolo,

Are you some sort of troll, or really as ignorant as you appear? Yes, you have the right to express your opinions here, but....

Mule Deer,

You surely can't be serious. I don't need to have read Gasset to have deeply seeded moral and philosophical beliefs as to these thoughts. I read much and write some.

My point about Facebook missed it's mark with you. I personally have done much for conservation all throughout Africa, I dare say substantially more than most have.

The point is this; The great unwashed masses of Americans that sit on the fence about hunting for Lions and Elephants are being educated by our opposition. The pictures all over Facebook, allow our opposition to define us, we do not have the opportunity to define ourselves. public opinion my friend.

Lets say the entire universe of African hunters is 10,000 per year. (Craig Boddingtons numbers, not mine) out of that 10K perhaps 1000 shoot a Jumbo. there are right around 400 lions shot yearly. some of those Lion hunters surely contain some of the same Elephant hunters so lets say the number is 1200.

So, out of 350 million Americans there are 1200 that hunt Lions and Elephants. You think we are going to win with those numbers? I don't.

They only way to push the end as far down the road as is possible is, for us the KEEP OUR COLLECTIVE MOUTHS SHUT. (keeping the photos off social media) I am well aware of the hunter/conservation model. I served on the BOD of SCI for 11 years, so I get it. Lots of people react as you do when they first read or hear my message. What we are doing isn't working.

I hunted CAR last year for 24 days. In 24 days, I only saw a handful of Elephant tracks. All those tracks had human tracks in tow. During the days and some nights we could hear AK47's off in the distance. The Sudanese Elephant Poachers, killing Elephants to fund their human rights atrocities in Sudan. The Chinese purchase the ivory, it's no secret, there isn't a politician alive with the appetite to take on China.

These poachers are hard men, walking around in the bush, some on donkeys. They kill the Elephants, remove the ivory and walk behind the camel trains loaded with ivory to Khartoum where they sell the ivory. I ran into a group of 7 riding on donkeys. These were the fiercest looking men I 'd ever seen. Their long thin faces told me everything I needed to know. They wore jungle fatigues and berets. Their donkeys had blankets on their backs, hiding the AK's from sight. They bore no hostility towards myself or the hunting party. Just traded glances and we parted ways

Our goals are mutual, our passions the same. I just think the way to further our own effort is to keep under the radar. Not a troll, a passionate sportsman. Not afraid to engage, willing to learn.

keeping our mouths shut is what has gotten us into this position....keeping normal hunting and butchering of critters for food behind closed doors as much as possible in order to "spare peoples feelings" is why so many think hunting is bad today....fence sitters have gone to the anit side cause we have been so polite that they think even we are ashamed of what we are doing and trying to hide it....

which is also part of the reason i live where i do, hung up a deer in my front yard and the only reaction i got was the neighbor across the street yelling pointers from their front step cause i wasnt butchering like they do laugh but hunting is considered a normal healthy activity by the general public here cause its never been hidden to spare peoples feelings....

Last edited by rattler; 03/06/15.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by rattler
Chipolopolo,

Mule Deer,

keeping our mouths shut is what has gotten us into this position....keeping normal hunting and butchering of critters for food behind closed doors as much as possible in order to "spare peoples feelings" is why so many think hunting is bad today....fence sitters have gone to the anit side cause we have been so polite that they think even we are ashamed of what we are doing and trying to hide it....

which is also part of the reason i live where i do, hung up a deer in my front yard and the only reaction i got was the neighbor across the street yelling pointers from their front step cause i wasnt butchering like they do laugh but hunting is considered a normal healthy activity by the general public here cause its never been hidden to spare peoples feelings....

I appreciate the "take no prisoners attitude" Just doesn't work anymore.

The problem is simply numbers. With a constituency of 1200 nationally, what politician will take on this argument. They are spineless bureaucrats who's only goal is re-election. Fighting public opinion to support Lion and Elephant hunting isn't going to win anyone any elections.

I think we are down to just a few years left for both Elephants and Lions.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the keeping quiet attitude hasnt worked for the last 30 years.....might aswell try something else......

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Chipolopolo,

Believe me, I have also seen the results of intense elephant poaching in Africa--and run into elephant poachers while on safari. All except one of the poachers were killed the next day by anti-poaching patrol, which is why they ran from us when we encountered them. (I sure wouldn't have shot any of them, but the Tanzanian game scout would have, if he hadn't left his rifle in the Land Cruiser, less than 100 yards away.) We also found dozens of elephant skulls, of all sizes, with the tusks chopped off, and very few elephants. I just talked to the PH at the SCI convention, and he isn't even offering elephant hunts anymore, in what a decade ago was one of the best elephant areas in Tanzania.

And yet you still claim that a handful of American trophy hunters posting photos on Facebook has anything approaching that impact? Or that NOT posting will delay the inevitable result of far too many other problems for Africa's wildlife? Oh, sorry, I forgot, you're trying to delay the death of our sport.

You should have read Ortega y Gasset a long time ago, because that might have prevented you from somehow falling for the notion that hanging a head on the wall somehow ennobles both us and the animal.
You have also failed to explain why heads on the wall are somehow so much better than photos on the wall. Is it because of the "educational" qualities of taxidermy that so many trophy hunters espouse? Museums have been doing that a lot longer than yet another generation of safari hunters.

I have plenty of African taxidermy on my walls, but quit bringing heads back a few safaris ago. In fact am probably not going to on any more big game safaris, though might go back to photograph in parks or reserves--which I have always spent some time doing in the days before or after my hunting safaris.

But I have taken all the African animals I ever dreamed of (which did not include lions or elephants), and hunting them took me far deeper into their lives, and the wild parts of Africa, than any amount of photography on game reserves--just as hunting elk or grizzly bears takes North American hunters into places they couldn't imagine or predict far more than visiting Yellowstone Park with a telephoto lens.

Yes, a well-taxidermed head is a fine symbol of a hunting memory, but I gave my best-ever kudu head to my PH, because at that stage of my hunting life I realized it meant more to him than to me. What meant more to me was the actual hunt, and how it led me into places I couldn't have anticipated with only a camera instead of a rifle in my hand.

He was thrilled, and I was quite happy with the photos of him and me and a fine day in Africa. But neither the head nor the photos of us have any meaning other than a stirring of the memory of hunting days, how kudu steak tastes, learning new birds and trees, and climbing yet another hill to see what's on the other side. Which is apparently something you somehow cannot understand: A trophy is only as valuable as the memories it stirs, because taxiderming a head only delays the inevitable breakdown of the animal we kill. And that delay only really means something to us, not the world at large.

I'm not saying you don't appreciate the hunt itself, or everything connected with the experience, but like Ruark you're confusing a symbol of the hunt with something deeper inside the experience of the hunt. Which is probably why you believe that not posting trophy photos on the Internet will somehow delay the inevitable decline of African big game, a decline due to issues as complex and perhaps unknowable as the essence of hunting itself.

John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks for sharing your thoughts MD. I appreciate your knowledge and experience.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Chipolopolo,

Believe me, I have also seen the results of intense elephant poaching in Africa--and run into elephant poachers while on safari. All except one of the poachers were killed the next day by anti-poaching patrol, which is why they ran from us when we encountered them. (I sure wouldn't have shot any of them, but the Tanzanian game scout would have, if he hadn't left his rifle in the Land Cruiser, less than 100 yards away.) We also found dozens of elephant skulls, of all sizes, with the tusks chopped off, and very few elephants. I just talked to the PH at the SCI convention, and he isn't even offering elephant hunts anymore, in what a decade ago was one of the best elephant areas in Tanzania.

And yet you still claim that a handful of American trophy hunters posting photos on Facebook has anything approaching that impact? Or that NOT posting will delay the inevitable result of far too many other problems for Africa's wildlife? Oh, sorry, I forgot, you're trying to delay the death of our sport.

You should have read Ortega y Gasset a long time ago, because that might have prevented you from somehow falling for the notion that hanging a head on the wall somehow ennobles both us and the animal.
You have also failed to explain why heads on the wall are somehow so much better than photos on the wall. Is it because of the "educational" qualities of taxidermy that so many trophy hunters espouse? Museums have been doing that a lot longer than yet another generation of safari hunters.

I have plenty of African taxidermy on my walls, but quit bringing heads back a few safaris ago. In fact am probably not going to on any more big game safaris, though might go back to photograph in parks or reserves--which I have always spent some time doing in the days before or after my hunting safaris.

But I have taken all the African animals I ever dreamed of (which did not include lions or elephants), and hunting them took me far deeper into their lives, and the wild parts of Africa, than any amount of photography on game reserves--just as hunting elk or grizzly bears takes North American hunters into places they couldn't imagine or predict far more than visiting Yellowstone Park with a telephoto lens.

Yes, a well-taxidermed head is a fine symbol of a hunting memory, but I gave my best-ever kudu head to my PH, because at that stage of my hunting life I realized it meant more to him than to me. What meant more to me was the actual hunt, and how it led me into places I couldn't have anticipated with only a camera instead of a rifle in my hand.

He was thrilled, and I was quite happy with the photos of him and me and a fine day in Africa. But neither the head nor the photos of us have any meaning other than a stirring of the memory of hunting days, how kudu steak tastes, learning new birds and trees, and climbing yet another hill to see what's on the other side. Which is apparently something you somehow cannot understand: A trophy is only as valuable as the memories it stirs, because taxiderming a head only delays the inevitable breakdown of the animal we kill. And that delay only really means something to us, not the world at large.

I'm not saying you don't appreciate the hunt itself, or everything connected with the experience, but like Ruark you're confusing a symbol of the hunt with something deeper inside the experience of the hunt. Which is probably why you believe that not posting trophy photos on the Internet will somehow delay the inevitable decline of African big game, a decline due to issues as complex and perhaps unknowable as the essence of hunting itself.

I'm not confusing the symbolism of the trophy, I'm honoring the entire process. I do not expect to change minds or see it my way. It is simply how I feel about my hunting. To me it is nearly spiritual. I feel a connection to my prey that is more than symbolic, it's…primal.

I will spend 45 days in Zambia and Tanzania this year. I will likely kill 30-35 animals and will find a way to get it all home. Some will be full mounts, some will be shoulder mounts and others yet will simply be Euro mounts. (Buffalo, can't mount any more)

The problem with internet forums are they are hostile to some extent and not open minded. Especially when it comes to posters with low counts vs posters with high post counts. Cliques rear their heads, and content sometimes isn't as important as supporting an internet friend.

I've enjoyed this lively debate but no problems were solved, seasons weren't extended and quota's were not raised.

Regards to all!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
After paragraphs of babel......I agree with little to nothing you put forth

Heads on a wall do nothing to "honor" an animal

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Chip,

The more you post, the more you reveal, but probably not in the way you want.

John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Chip,

I'll take that as the insult it was intended to be. Hell it's an internet forum.

grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gentleman,
I understand and can appreciate what Chipolopolo is trying to say. Sometimes, it is very difficult to relay your thoughts from a keyboard. I don't think we need to rag him about it. I respect him for his views on appreciating his kills.

I also fully agree with the FACT that Taxidermy is a substantial outlay of funds. There is no use for us to try and hide it and carry on as if it's not. I have had some hunters come in and only take photos of their safari and their trophies. The notion that a smaller animal will get hunted, just because there will only be a photo, could not be further from the truth. Well, I only speak on behalf of KMG Hunting Safaris. The photos will be on our website, Facebook page etc. and is a direct window into the service and quality you can expect to hunting with us.

You will only be shooting yourself in the foot by hunting substandard game.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Chip,

Well said, and I couldn't agree more.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I thought this was a great debate and both sides made excellent points. I come at this as a neutral. I'm no trophy hunter and I'm a meat hunter so I don't really have a dog in this hunt. But it has been a great thread.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Yes some interesting discussion on both sides. I do not think taxdermy has to be done to honor an animal.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Gents:
I just read this and find the debate lively. I understand Chip's philosophy and he has a magnificent trophy room and his trophies are his memories and legacy. We all do it differently but we all like to hunt. I've been severely hammered for my posts on fair chase vs. high fenced hunting and for my personal love of vintage English double rifles and my choice to own and hunt with them exclusively. The bottom line is what is right is what is right for each of us individually. We get hell at times for expressing our opinion but our opinion is only right for the opinion's owner. At the end of the day we are all the target of the antis and Chip has a good point in the numbers of hunters in Africa, the (approximate) number of those taking elephant and lion, the the number of US citizens and why politicians won't champion our cause. I never put it in that perspective but it is a powerful lesson. In the long run we all all fighting a losing battle. Look at our losses in both hunting and gun rights over the past 1-2-3-4-5 decades. I think we best agree to disagree as gentlemen because we are in the same boat. It does not matter if we spend a fortune on taxidermy for whatever reason, leave our trophies in the field, hunt with a double rifle or a modern whiz bang magnum. The ship is sinking and we are too busy fighting amongst ourselves and not bailing water in unison to keep us afloat. And l before you get on my case, I have done it all: taxidermy, European mounts, leaving the trophy in the field, donating taxidermy, etc., I've even made the excuse I am feeding the Africans by killing the game there (which I have and did, but that is not the reason I've hunted anywhere--it is a sideline to my endeavor). I read Ortega's words years ago and have also read many who think he was in error.
I trust and hope you all have a pleasant day and a great next hunt--no matter what you hunt with, what you do with the trophy, or your rationale for doing so.
Cheers,
Cal
PS. I've often wondered if we would be as rude to one another if everyone knew our real names or if we were standing face to face.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
We did a family trip (wife and three sons) a few years ago that could have been a serious Tanzania hunt for me. But I am not the selfish [bleep].

Conduct is the best proof of character.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
JFC, its the Savage99 of Africa.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Cal and KMG:

First, you hit the nail on the head in that we all have a right to our opinions, as long as we're within legal and ethical bounds.

Conversely, when we see someone who calls himself a hunter engaging in activities that are clearly unethical or have the potential to damage hunting in the eyes of neutral observers, we have a responsibility to call out that behavior.

The only reason I bring up that second point is, I believe chip went a good bit beyond the former and was engaging in what he believes to be the latter.

Saying that others who don't get heads mounted are "devaluing the wildlife" and are "killers only" and "walking away from their responsibility" or are "thrill killers" engaging in "repugnant behavior" is doing a lot more than stating a personal ethic or opinion, it's telling others how to do it and denigrating them in the process.

And there are lots who don't agree. If we're really talking about how the antis see us as chip says, the future of hunting and what needs to be done to preserve it, I think those that disagree have not only the right to speak up, but the duty.

As an aside, some have noted the desire to do a safari, but limited means to pay for it all, including taxidermy. Does anyone really think that making a safari more expensive by including taxidermy in the price will help get more hunters to go on safari?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Hmmmm, promised myself I'd stay out of this, but my last safari, i guess I went on the greatest "thrill killing" safari ever. It was tuskless cow elephant in Zim. The animal is non exportable. It fed a village. The most fantastic, yet humbling, hunt I ever went on. So Chippie I guess I'm a thrill killer, cause all I got was pics...... smirk

maddog

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Cal and KMG:

First, you hit the nail on the head in that we all have a right to our opinions, as long as we're within legal and ethical bounds.

Conversely, when we see someone who calls himself a hunter engaging in activities that are clearly unethical or have the potential to damage hunting in the eyes of neutral observers, we have a responsibility to call out that behavior.

The only reason I bring up that second point is, I believe chip went a good bit beyond the former and was engaging in what he believes to be the latter.

Saying that others who don't get heads mounted are "devaluing the wildlife" and are "killers only" and "walking away from their responsibility" or are "thrill killers" engaging in "repugnant behavior" is doing a lot more than stating a personal ethic or opinion, it's telling others how to do it and denigrating them in the process.

And there are lots who don't agree. If we're really talking about how the antis see us as chip says, the future of hunting and what needs to be done to preserve it, I think those that disagree have not only the right to speak up, but the duty.

As an aside, some have noted the desire to do a safari, but limited means to pay for it all, including taxidermy. Does anyone really think that making a safari more expensive by including taxidermy in the price will help get more hunters to go on safari?

Good morning Smkepole.

If you were to take a quick look back, I qualify all my statements as my opinion. They might be looked at as extreme, but extreme measures are called for when we are fighting for our collective lives here (metaphorically).

If the eventual sunset on Africa occurs in my hunting lifetime, I will have had a life well lived. I am willing to put myself in harms way to advocate for our sport. As you say, isn't it our responsibility to call out behavior we see as unethical? I don't really call the pics or mounts topic as unethical but irresponsible to the way we are looked at by the rank and file American.

Years ago, there was a woman Lion advocate troll over on AR. I went head to head with her for months and months. We actually talked on the phone several times. At that time I was of the mentality, "dig your heels in, and fight, don't give an inch."

I wasn't on FB at the time. I subsequently did a mountain bike race across America called the Tour Divide, which is the longest race in the cycling world. I did it for a charity that is near and dear to my heart, Special Olympics. I started a FB page with the help of SO for fund raising.

After seeing how the dynamic of FB works and the global reach it has, I saw that social media has negatively affected our sport. Hell, quasi celebrity hunters like Tim Herald have had their pages taken down due to the content. If that isn't hostile waters, what is?

It made me re-think my position. My thoughts on it now is to take a page from the old Brad Pitt movie "Fight Club" The first rule of fight club…don't talk about fight club.

The point being, public opinion does and will matter now. The globe is smaller and we live in a digital world. That woman I speak of got her information off the pages of AR. She worked for Lionaid.

Remember how Donald Trumps kids got hammered on FB? or the owner of Go Daddy? or the 19 year old cheerleader? the list goes on and on.

Bottom line here is, I am willing to take the slings and arrows on behalf of hunting globally. If just one reader thinks about it and re-thinks his/her position I will feel it was worth it.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Always had a problem with this statement. I hunt with the intent to kill - sometimes just for the table and other times for the wall and table. If I don't kill, I still have hunted. If you follow his logic, if you don't kill you haven't hunted? Hunting is the act of pursuit - sometimes you win, sometimes they win.
His clever twist on the terminology is just that.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If you were to take a quick look back, I qualify all my statements as my opinion.

Good morning to you, Chip. You can say "this is my opinion" all you want, but when you apply it to others as you clearly did by calling it "repugnant behavior" and "walking away from your responsibility," it's going well beyond just stating your own personal beliefs.

I don't really call the pics or mounts topic as unethical but irresponsible to the way we are looked at by the rank and file American.......

The point being, public opinion does and will matter now.

Chip, we are in violent agreement that public opinion does matter; that is not the issue so don't think you can claim the high ground by saying that. We just disagree on what that public opinion is.

I believe the general public has a lower opinion of what they perceive as "trophy hunting," meaning putting heads on the wall, than someone who uses the meat and only keeps photos.

Because I've heard them say it. What is the basis of your belief that the general public thinks it's better or more ethical to hang trophy heads on a wall?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
If I don't kill, I still have hunted. If you follow his logic, if you don't kill you haven't hunted?

That's not what he's saying at all. What he's saying is, the killing part of hunting is not the only reason we hunt, or even the most important for some. If the killing was the most important, we'd wouldn't need to hunt at all, we'd all be more successful at the feed lot.

Yes, you can hunt without killing every time out, but if you never killed anything, you may as well take up crocheting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't agree with the statement either. I pass up a fair amount of animals just because I don't feel like killing them. I haven't filled a Doe tag since 2011, and I've had them every year. And its certainly not because I don't see deer. I find I often go home more satisfied having watched the animal and not killed it. Now if I need meat (or want it) then I'm pulling the trigger. But the boy has been getting deer these past few years and I just don't need to make a kill. And that suits me fine. And yes, I have indeed hunted.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I think it matters as to what degree we as a demographic devolve the process of hunting.

If I were to post on here that; "I really don't want the pictures, I just want to shoot a bunch" or "I only want shots of 800 yards or better" at which point does an individuals sensibilities get uneasy? There must be some line where rank and file sportsmen agree is too much.

There are costs involved in hunting that you can't get away from. Travel, TF's, tips and others I am obviously leaving out.

The fact that International hunting is expensive will unfortunately leave some who want to go out. BUT, to mentally erase some of the historic costs to make it less expensive is where the lines get blurred. There was a tipping thread over on AR. There were guys that said they were OK to NOT tip the PH so they could afford the trip. I didn't agree with that either.

I also think that by you pointing out my admittedly aggressive disposition on this, aren't you making this about me rather than the subject? I am merely human, I am trying to articulate feelings here that are not easy to explain. If I were just milk toast about it, it wouldn't be being discussed and it wouldn't have been cross posted over on AR.

I don't post to be accepted or popular, as a VERY good friend of mine once told me;

"When I read I wish to learn, when I write I wish to teach."

I am simply trying to share some different thoughts about the consequences of many of our actions in an ever shrinking digital world. And yes, I think trophy shipping is ridiculous. I had a shipment from CAR cost me 6,600.00 just to get to Houston.

Last edited by Chipolopolo; 03/08/15.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I also think that by you pointing out my admittedly aggressive disposition on this, aren't you making this about me rather than the subject? I am merely human....

Come on chip, I said nothing about you personally, that's a red herring. I took issue with what you said, not with you personally.

There must be some line where rank and file sportsmen agree is too much.

Sure there is, I never said otherwise. What I'm saying is, failing to get trophy heads mounted does not cross that line.

But back to my earlier question, what makes you think that the public at large looks more kindly on hunters who get trophy heads mounted than hunters who use the meat and just take photos?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Taxidermy is a personal thing.....I personaly have very little.....I am not a collector

The non hunting public does NOT like heads on the wall

50 or 70 years ago......maybe

Now day's not as much

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
bigwhoop,

You and other hunters mostly have trouble with that quote from Ortega y Gasset because it's taken out of context. It's part of a much longer essay that was originally an introduction to a bigger book on huntin. Today the big book is mostly forgotten, but MEDITTATIONS ON HUNTING is published by itself as a short book. My present copy has 132 pages.

Here is more of that part of the book, from the most-printed translation (the essay was originally written in Spanish):

"In utilitarian hunting the true purpose of the hunter, what he seeks and values, is the death of the animal. Everything he does before that is merely a means of achieving that end, which is its formal purpose.
To the sportsman, the death of the animal is not what interests him; that is not his purpose. What interests him is everything that he has had to do to achieve that death--that is, the hunt. Death is essential because without it there is no authentic hunting: the killing of the animal is the natural end of the hunt and that goal of the hunting itself, not of the hunter. The hunter seeks this death because it is no less than the sign of reality for the whole hunting process. To sum up, one does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted."

Here there is a clear delineation here between the "utilitarian" hunter, what we might call a meat or subsistence hunter, and the sport hunter, who primarily hunts for recreation. The sport hunter may welcome the meat, but it is only part of the entire process.

Many of us are both kinds of hunter: When I go out to fill a doe tag it's primarily for meat, and usually the hunt itself isn't nearly as long or involved as it would be for a buck, especially a trophy buck. But because I am not strictly a subsistence hunter (though 99% of the meat my wife I have eaten for decades has been wild), I often do try to make the hunt more interesting and involved, whether still-hunting whitetails rather than sitting in a stand, or using a shorter-range rifle, often with iron sights.

If hunters actually read MEDITATIONS ON HUNTING, rather than a simplification of its most famous quote, then they'll find far more of an explanation of why they hunt than in almost any other single piece of hunting writing--whether they classify themselves as a meat or trophy hunter, or anything in between.

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Much better than my half-assed summary....

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
There are obviously people all over the board on this.

How's this for something we might actually find some common ground.

Lets agree that we as sportsmen are all part of a bell curve. The mean is the weighted center, containing most guys who will either mount some, most or all of their kills. To the far left are the guys whom which this debate is around, mount nothing and leave it all there. They are fewer and are some number of deviations left. My philosophy would be the furthest to the right of that same bell curve. I can and will accept that I am not the norm and am the same number of deviations right.

However, I would ask for you to agree that the guys on the far left are not the norm either again, we are all parts of the same curve.

Would that be an acceptable explanation of where I fall?

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I also think that by you pointing out my admittedly aggressive disposition on this, aren't you making this about me rather than the subject? I am merely human....

Come on chip, I said nothing about you personally, that's a red herring. I took issue with what you said, not with you personally.

There must be some line where rank and file sportsmen agree is too much.

Sure there is, I never said otherwise. What I'm saying is, failing to get trophy heads mounted does not cross that line.

But back to my earlier question, what makes you think that the public at large looks more kindly on hunters who get trophy heads mounted than hunters who use the meat and just take photos?

Ok, I'll agree… a red herring. But at least I tried cool

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Chip, you don't need to explain where you fall, and neither do the guys at the other end of the spectrum. I believe any place along the line is OK and doesn't require an explanation.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

Chip, you don't need to explain where you fall, and neither do the guys at the other end of the spectrum. I believe any place along the line is OK and doesn't require an explanation.

Understood. The point was, we are a divided bunch (sportsman) and it's important to remember which team we are all on.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Understood. The point was, we are a divided bunch (sportsman) and it's important to remember which team we are all on.

I'm guessing your in the vast minority of hunters with opinions like those posted here Chipper. Are you and SCI guy?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ooyyy....another Campfire topic over which, it seems to me, that reasonable men may differ... smile

In reading this thread, I searched the internet for a definition of "trophy", and,aside from the term's Greek/Latin origins, naturally enough found numerous references to the preservation of animal parts (and particularly the mounting of heads),serving as momentos of the hunt, or achievements associated there with. To wit.,..."anything taken in war, hunting,competition,etc.,especially when preserved as a momento".

And further,..."a carving,painting,or other representation of objects associated with victory or achievement . A keepsake,remembrance,reminder,souvenir, or token.

Could this include a portfolio of photos? I fail to see why not.

I saw nothing saying that it has to take a particular form,or that it had to cost a certain amount of money. It seems to me that we are entitled to spend as little,or as much,on these "trophies" as our means allow, or that we see fit,so long as they remind us of the experiences we attained in their acquisition.We are free to choose how we go about this because the animals is owed a duty of honor only by the person lucky enough to have killed it.We honor it in our own way.

Hunters are comprised from a broad spectrum of socio-economic backgrounds and a bighorn sheep is no less valuable, nor diminished because it was taken on a solo back pack hunt in a special draw unit by a working guy than it was if killed on a $30,000+ hunt by someone who worked hard to afford the hunt. If the solo hunter chooses not to mount the ram,gives the cleaned skull and horns an honored place in the loading room to remind him of the hunt,the significance of the experience is not reduced and neither is the ram. It's remains are reminders of the experiences that resulted in its' killing.....the same goes for an 8 point whitetail from a Wisconsin woodlot or a Lord Derby eland from Camaroon.

If, OTOH, the hunter chooses to spend $8-$10,000 on a fully mounted Alaskan Brown bear or Desert Sheep, who are we to judge his motives?

In the end, after the hunting is over,all we really have are the memories anyway.No amount of money will replace them. Preserve them as you will. Just my opinion on the matter.

It has been quite awhile since I read Gassett and do not remember it all.But my own interpretation of the famous phrase is that with hunting we are engaging in a predator /prey relationship with the quarry.And if we do not have the purpose and intent of killing it we are engaging in observation only,not hunting. Those folks who have done both understand the difference, and those who only observe will never understand, no matter how we try to explain it.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well said Bob.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The point was, we are a divided bunch (sportsman) and it's important to remember which team we are all on.

Agreed Chip! I had to go back and re-read the thread though, for a minute there you almost had me convinced that I was the one who'd said that hunters who don't get heads mounted are "killers only" and "walking away from their responsibility" and "thrill killers" engaging in "repugnant behavior."

I'm just glad to know we're on the same team.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
The point was, we are a divided bunch (sportsman) and it's important to remember which team we are all on.

Agreed Chip! I had to go back and re-read the thread though, for a minute there you almost had me convinced that I was the one who'd said that hunters who don't get heads mounted are "killers only" and "walking away from their responsibility" and "thrill killers" engaging in "repugnant behavior."

I'm just glad we're on the same team.

Wow, tough crowd. I have no problem standing behind those statements. I said it, I own them.

Regards.

Steve

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No, not a tough crowd at all Steve. I can't speak for the others but for my part it's just that this whole subject of the ethics of hunting is one that keenly interests me. I'm always looking to understand different points of view on the subject.

So it's good to hear that you stand behind what you said, I'd be interested in hearing the basis of your opinion:

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Well, I'm not as cerebral as Gassett, but I read O'Connor and Keith and fully understand them.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Well, I'm not as cerebral as Gassett.......

Most of us aren't, that's why we're talking about what he said long after he's gone.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Chip,

It's great that you can do multiple extended African hunts and bring all the trophies home. You must have a large trophy room. But most folks are not able to do that. Those of us that can't may need to use other approaches if we want to do a number of African hunts.

I brought home a number of trophies (all European mounts) on the one hunt I did in Zimbabwe and it was a great experience. But like many others I don't have lots of space for trophies. I love the African experience and if I go again I probably won't bring home many trophies. The most valuable things from my trips in Africa (I've done others where I didn't hunt but was out in the bush) are the memories of the experience.

For me, having mounts on the wall is far less meaningful than my memories of the details of the hunts. That may be true for you as well. In any case, I think your view is pretty narrow. I would personally feel bad if the animals hunted were not eaten by someone and of course that always happens in protein-poor Africa. But beyond that, I think it's up to each person to decide how they want to approach their hunt.

I've done lots of deer and elk hunts and don't have many trophies from them. But that doesn't mean that I don't remember and value those hunts. When I ate the meat I would often think about the the animal that provided it. I don't think those animals were devalued any more than I think an African animal that was taken and not mounted is devalued.

Of course this is all just my opinion. I hope you continue to enjoy your African hunts.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
photos often work as well. And are a part of all my hunts.

But if taxidermy is expensive, and it is, taking to long just gives you time to get it paid for IMHO.I think that would be a plus.

At this point I"ve zero desire for Africa, but can see folks getting enamored with it for sure. It certainly is not as cheap as folks think it is from what I've seen.

I have 2 african animals that interest me and thats not enough to pay for a hunt and the flights and time off etc...

I could be just as happy at some point, in our older age, to simply do a photo safari.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Gents,

So what you are saying is that you married every woman you've slept with?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
No, he just mounted her.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
shocked

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
No, he just mounted her.

grin grin

maddog

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I was hoping someone would hit that slow pitch.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
That wasn't even a pitch, it was T-Ball.....

F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
Lotsa kritters have been harvested throughout time with no thought to there headgear.Hunting doesn't have to be about trophys anymore in Africa than it does in the USA, but it can.

I meat hunt here in the U.S.A and occasionally I harvest a trophy. To hunt in Africa and bring home no trophy's can't be any different. The hunter gets to experience the sights, sounds, culture and wildlife of a new place. The animals harvested are sent to market and all is good.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
As I mentioned in an earlier post on this thread, I gave away my best kudu head to my PH. My wife and I already had several at home, and this one didn't exactly dwarf the others.

But it was also the biggest the PH had ever guided anybody to, and since he owns a sporting goods store and didn't have a big kudu head in the store, the choice was pretty easy. I enjoyed the hunt a lot, since it took over two weeks to find a kudu big enough to tempt me, and I have a great photo of me and Rob and his head tracker Clifton, sitting behind the bull. We're all happy--in fact I remember thanking Clifton for his excellent tracking after we killed the bull.

We'd jumped the kudu once without a shot, and then Clifton and I climbed a big hill after it, getting within 100 yards before jumping it again--but this time I had a chance and made a good running shot. After I thanked Clifton, he said, "Oh no sir, thank YOU, for shooting the kudu dead!" I have the photo and a letter from Clifton on the wall of my office, excellent trophies that bring back that day perhaps even better than any mounted head. And I know the other trophy is in a fine place as well.

John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
John, you and I think alike.

I need to hunt up my copy of "Meditations" and read it again.

Bill Quimby

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hi Bill,

I tend to reread it every 3-4 years, but reference various sections at least once a year.

John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
John:

I haven't read it in at least 20 years. It's been almost that long since I've seen my copy. (That's the problem with collecting way too many books.)

Mine is the first English translation sent to me to review early in my career, and its illustrations are as memorable as the text. I suppose it would be valuable if it were in pristine condition, but I was so impressed with it that I underlined and highlighted entire paragraphs throughout the book.

Bill Quimby

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
That happens! I've marked up a bunch of new books, long before they somehow turned "valuable."

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
But it was also the biggest the PH had ever guided anybody to, and since he owns a sporting goods store and didn't have a big kudu head in the store, the choice was pretty easy. I enjoyed the hunt a lot, since it took over two weeks to find a kudu big enough to tempt me, and I have a great photo of me and Rob and his head tracker Clifton, sitting behind the bull. We're all happy--in fact I remember thanking Clifton for his excellent tracking after we killed the bull.

We'd jumped the kudu once without a shot, and then Clifton and I climbed a big hill after it, getting within 100 yards before jumping it again--but this time I had a chance and made a good running shot. After I thanked Clifton, he said, "Oh no sir, thank YOU, for shooting the kudu dead!" I have the photo and a letter from Clifton on the wall of my office, excellent trophies that bring back that day perhaps even better than any mounted head. And I know the other trophy is in a fine place as well.

John, I'm pretty sure there has only been one time in my life that I've slid down a steep hill carrying detached kudu testicles in my hand......
is it possible this kudu you're speaking of was the former owner....?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hi John,

I do believe that's the one!

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think when I go to Africa it's going to be for a Cape Buffalo. I don't want a half dozen or more trophies on the ground that I have to figure out what to do with. I guess I'd take quality over quantity.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I think you need to hunt Africa first before being so sure about quality versus quantity.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not trying to say plains game aren't quality. Just saying I don't want crates of trophies to bring home.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
+ 1, John.

Bill Quimby

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
moosemike,

You get charged basically the same for shipping a cargo box of animal parts home no matter how full it is, whether it just holds a Cape buffalo skull or half-a-dozen skulls and capes. So you might as well fill it up, or leave everything over there and bring home photos.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If only there were a way to leave the heads and hides and bring the meat home, I'd shoot the full complement of plains game. I hear they have some animals over there that are tastier than Moose. Gemsbok is one. I'm thinking about taking a Scimitar Horned Oryx in Texas to fill the freezer.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
moosemike,

You get charged basically the same for shipping a cargo box of animal parts home no matter how full it is, whether it just holds a Cape buffalo skull or half-a-dozen skulls and capes. So you might as well fill it up, or leave everything over there and bring home photos.

Niiiice MD, real nice. Chipper will be back shortly to start chewing your azzz out again.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If only there were a way to leave the heads and hides and bring the meat home, I'd shoot the full complement of plains game. I hear they have some animals over there that are tastier than Moose. Gemsbok is one. I'm thinking about taking a Scimitar Horned Oryx in Texas to fill the freezer.

If you are thinking about filling the freezer, a Nilgai fits the bill quite nicely- one of the best eating 4-footed critters on the planet, IMO. Texas has lots of 'em.......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good to know. Thanks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some of the best "grocery shopping" can be had in the Texas hill country. Eland, Gemsbok, Scimitar Horned Oryx, Nilgai, etc.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, Texas was apparently created for "safari" hunters who want to bring the meat home. It isn't quite as exotic as going to Africa, though a lot of South Texas is very similar to a lot of African bushveld, but it's closer and coolers are welcome. I have brought back a bunch of great meat, including some from African animals. It's one reason I hunt Texas far more often than Africa anymore.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
While off topic nilgai are hard to beat for hunting and eating. This was from last weekend.

[Linked Image]

Backstrap

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I never expected this thread to go this long or become so contentious.

This is my experience. I have made multiple trips to Africa (Tanzania, Mozambique, and Zimbabwe). Every head of plains game I have shot is mounted. Most are shoulder mounts, one full body mount, a couple of skull mounts. Of the 9 buffalo I have hunted, two are shoulder mounted, a couple are skull mounted in the states, I have loaned one shoulder mount to the local gun store, and a couple more reside in camps in Africa. Of course my leopard is in a full body mount.

In all my other hunting my taxidermy work has been limited. Bear rug, nilgai skull mounts, a couple of ducks, one alligator tanned, a pig, like I said very limited.

I hunt for my own reasons. It is very personal to me and matters not if I am in Louisiana or Africa. Hunting is in my DNA, it is part of my heritage. I know for certain I am a fourth generation alligator hunter in Louisiana. In my last three trips to Africa I have not shot a single head of plains game, only elephant, buffalo, and leopard. I even used buffalo to bait for the leopard. One reason I have not shot any more plains game is because I did not want to mount them. I have shot tuskless elephant and non-trophy buffalo in those trips and did not mount them. There are still some plains game I want to take and each will be sent to the taxidermy shop.

This is my opinion. Hunt for whatever reason you want. If you do not want to have your animals mounted, that is your business. My ethics are not the same as your ethics. While I do not agree with everything Chipolopolo writes, I do understand his way of thinking. And while some of his language at times is a little strong he is a good guy and has helped me with some non-hunting interests. It somewhat amuses me to see guys that have been to Africa maybe once belittle and take pot shots at a hunter that has made at least 20 African safaris. I know whose OPINION I value more.

And BTW, I am doing a skull mount on the nilgai from the above post.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I want one of those nilgai, to eat. Who did you hunt with Mike?

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Lendell Laxton with L&L Hunts.

Good operation. The area is 15,000 acres. Part of one boundry is high fenced (neighbor's fence), but the rest is low fenced.

Sam Ilse with Lomas Chicas is another good operator. All low fence and a very large area.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Thank you sir!

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

Oh, the irony. grin

Photo credit to EricM from his lion thread. (thanks)

Last edited by Chipolopolo; 03/22/15.
C
C
LMAO laugh

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

295 members (1badf350, 1_deuce, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 40 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,035
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.