Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
We've seen the giant bucks and we've seen the dinks. Now let's see the deer that holds a lasting place in your hunter's heart.

This is the one for me. He is an old 7 point (4x3 for those westerners that can only count one side at a time. smile ) I killed in Mid-November 2007 on my great grandfather's old farmstead in Ashe County NC.

I had originally planned to walk to a big cut over where you can see a lot of country and have shots out to 500 + yards so I was carrying my heavy barrel .30/06 topped with a 4.5-14 Nikon with target knobs and a mil-dot reticle. It was loaded with a super accurate load of VV N140 and the 155 grain AMAX.

My plan got thrown off when I discovered that a timber cutting crew had decided to work that day on the backside of the mountain across from the cut over and they drove two trucks and a skidder right thru the middle of where I was going to hunt to get to the cutting ground.

Undaunted, I went to my fall back position. I walked up the ridge behind my great grandfather's old house and took up a position at the base of a big white oak that jutted out of a mountain overhang.

What the overhang created was essentially a natural tree stand like position. From the base of that white oak you could watch the convergence of five well used deer trails.

I had no more than got settled and caught my breath from climbing the near 10% grade up the ridge when six does came boiling out of a laurel thicket at the head of the holler. They were running nose to tail with their ears laid back like a pack of greyhounds. No chance of a shot on that bunch.

About 15 minutes later I heard something snuffling around in the acorns just over top of a small draw about 60 yards above and to the front of me.

The snuffling kept getting louder and I heard a buck start grunting so I double checked the scope to make sure it was turned down to low power and brought the rifle up to the port arms position.

A few seconds later the buck just seemed to materialize at the head of the draw 60 or so yards away. He was staring straight at me.

I immediately froze and tried my best to stay absolutely motionless. After what seemed like 15 minutes (actually more like 30-45 seconds) he turned back to the left and put his head down to look for acorns.

I began slowly moving the rifle into firing position. About halfway through the process the buck looked back around and started staring me down again. I had to freeze again. Holding a 10 lb rifle completely still 3/4 of the way to your shoulder is a chore I do not care to repeat.

After staring my way for what seemed like another 15 minutes, the buck again went back to looking for his breakfast acorns.

I finished shouldering the rifle and started to bring the crosshairs into position when the critter looked my way again so I was forced to do the freeze one more time. This time it felt like he stared me down for 45 minutes before going back to his acorns.

Once his head was down and away I settled the scope behind his onside shoulder, clicked the safety off and squeezed the trigger.

At the crack of the gun he lurched forward and went down on his knees in front and his hind end started to sag toward the ground. I expected him to just roll over and die but amazingly the buck caught himself and went lurching up the hill with the off side shoulder freely flailing and his tail down.

I was just mesmerized by the way he caught himself and took off and it never occurred to me at the time to shoot again.

Just as he crossed the ridge out of sight I heard a crash like a 57 Buick hitting a concrete wall. I found him tangled in the remains of an old fence about 30 yards down the backside of the ridge.

There was a blood trail Ray Charles could have followed.

The shot had been perfectly placed. All the deer plumbing was wrecked in the chest cavity and the 155 AMax had still had enough integrity and steam to break the off shoulder and exit. The buck probably weighed 175-180 lbs on the hoof.

I mounted his rack to one of the Cabela's horn mounting plaques and hung it over my bedroom closet door.

His antlers are one of the last things I see before going to sleep at night and I will always remember the day our trails crossed.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by hillbillybear; 03/03/15.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

GB1

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
My most memorable deer hunt was a deer that I took while deer hunting with my 7 year old daughter for the first time. I shot a nice doe right at the end of shooting hours, across a BIG field. The doe ran into the tree line and disappeared. At that point I am concerned that the deer may be hard to find, and or the experience will shock my little girl and turn her off to hunting. Well, she helped me track the doe and she held the flashlight while I dragged it out of the woods. What was funny was her comment after the shot from my .270 WSM in near dark conditions. She said, "Daddy, fire came out of that thing!" We still laugh about it today and I knew at the time that a hunter was born. I am very grateful for that hunt.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I guess my most memorable was my first buck.

I had been so sick I hadn't left the house in three days. I finally felt human again on Sunday so even though it was 15 degrees and spitting snow - bitter cold down here in MS - I decided to go sit in my shoot house overlooking our bean fields. I remember a good friend called while I was hunting to invite me to come eat with the group. She said she'd let me get off the phone because she knew a big one was going to walk out for me. Well, about 5 minutes later he did, I just didn't realize he was big.

I had only been hunting a couple years and had never seen anything but does and spikes in this area. I saw this one step out at the far corner of the field at almost 400yds and I saw antlers. I thought "Great.. now I have to try to figure out if he's big enough to be legal". As he got closer I saw the antlers were outside his ears so I figured he was legal and I ignored the antlers from that point on. I figured he was probably no more than a 6 point but I was just wanting meat anyway. When he got within about 150yds, I hit him with my 300WSM. He ran about 35yds and fell.

I wasn't excited enough about his size to go check him first, instead I walked back to the truck and drove across the field to go load him up. It was only when I got to him that I realized what I had done. I counted 10 points and while making a fist I could put my entire forearm across the inside spread of his rack! Needless to say, he is mounted and hanging on the wall above my gun safe for the world to see.

[Linked Image]

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
My most memorable deer hunt was a deer that I took while deer hunting with my 7 year old daughter for the first time. I shot a nice doe right at the end of shooting hours, across a BIG field. The doe ran into the tree line and disappeared. At that point I am concerned that the deer may be hard to find, and or the experience will shock my little girl and turn her off to hunting. Well, she helped me track the doe and she held the flashlight while I dragged it out of the woods. What was funny was her comment after the shot from my .270 WSM in near dark conditions. She said, "Daddy, fire came out of that thing!" We still laugh about it today and I knew at the time that a hunter was born. I am very grateful for that hunt.

Great Story. She will never forget that hunt with dad.

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TATELAW
I guess my most memorable was my first buck.

I had been so sick I hadn't left the house in three days. I finally felt human again on Sunday so even though it was 15 degrees and spitting snow - bitter cold down here in MS - I decided to go sit in my shoot house overlooking our bean fields. I remember a good friend called while I was hunting to invite me to come eat with the group. She said she'd let me get off the phone because she knew a big one was going to walk out for me. Well, about 5 minutes later he did, I just didn't realize he was big.

I had only been hunting a couple years and had never seen anything but does and spikes in this area. I saw this one step out at the far corner of the field at almost 400yds and I saw antlers. I thought "Great.. now I have to try to figure out if he's big enough to be legal". As he got closer I saw the antlers were outside his ears so I figured he was legal and I ignored the antlers from that point on. I figured he was probably no more than a 6 point but I was just wanting meat anyway. When he got within about 150yds, I hit him with my 300WSM. He ran about 35yds and fell.

I wasn't excited enough about his size to go check him first, instead I walked back to the truck and drove across the field to go load him up. It was only when I got to him that I realized what I had done. I counted 10 points and while making a fist I could put my entire forearm across the inside spread of his rack! Needless to say, he is mounted and hanging on the wall above my gun safe for the world to see.

[Linked Image]

Great story and a beautiful buck.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
First one I killed with a bow, a fork horn. Nothing special but it was the 1st bow kill.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Early years and watching Dad kill one running in the wood around 30 yards out. Deer hit an opening and just seemed to lose stride at the shot, then it was chest down in the snow. Over and done.

It was similar to watching a snake strike prey.

laissez les bons temps rouler
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I have a bunch and can remember them all. All the "firsts" are special to me. First buck, first big one, first WI buck, yada, yada, yada...

But the most memorable to me is the first time I was allowed to go to deer camp on opening weekend. I was in 4th grade. I got to miss Friday school, so I was floating on air just from that!

Opening morning came fast. It was a crisp, frosty November morning and I followed my dad and uncle as they walked along the trail to their stands. We popped out of the spruces into the power-line opening to where we could see dad's stand and I heard my uncle Rick say "deer." I heard my dad say "it's a buck" and up came the Rem 742, 30-06. I heard the shot, and watched the deer run a tight circle and tip over.

That's it... I was hooked and have been ever since. I can't stop thinking about it. I think about deer hunting EVERY single day.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My first deer, a little spiker that fell to my dad's Mauser on the second Tuesday of the Pa. gun season. It was very special to me, as this was the last chance I got to hunt with Dad. He died the next spring. I got it right at dark about a mile from camp. It was pretty late by the time I got back in with it. Dad was so excited. I'll never forget that moment.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll add one more story here. I was hunting with my son when he was about 13. We were sitting along the edge of a big clear cut where it dumped into the woods. The deer would come out of that cut and go into the woods. I saw a doe sneek out of the cut, a long ways out. Try as I may, I couldn't get my son in a position where he could see the deer. We were going to lose the opprtunity, so I asked him if he wanted me to take the shot. He said, "I can't see it! Shoot it Dad." I made a clean one shot kill at about 350 yards. My longest shot to date.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
My most memorable one was 43 years ago, when I was 11. The previous Summer I told my dad I wanted my own deer rifle. When he said "I think that's great", I was stunned. So he got me a job at an ice house bagging 10-20lb bags of ice for the owner friend of his. I worked all Summer and saved enough to buy a Marlin 336 30-30. Since I did work for it, dad put a Weaver K4 on it for me. The following November he took me mule deer hunting for the first time. We eventually came upon an old knurly buck laying in a low wash at a distance of no more than 75 yards. I got that sucker in my scope after kneeling down, gun rested on one knee, fired the shot, and missed that buck by 3 feet! To say I had buck fever was an understatement. I shot again as the buck stood up and whiffed again. As the buck turned to leave I fired again and clipped him high in the neck, breaking the spine. I had to finish him off when I got to within a range I could stay steady......5 yards! I was one nervous boy, and to this day I've been absolutely hooked on hunting mule deer. Thanks Dad!

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Bunch of great stories folks. Keep 'em coming.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
the buck my wife shot 2 years ago. it was the peak of the rut, bucks were running everywhere. we were going to put a stalk on one we'd seen run into a stand of trees when I spotted this buck peaking around a tree at 110 yards. she leveled her 6x45 mini mauser custom lefthand rifle I had built for her birthday that year. seemed like she aimed forever before pulling the trigger. the buck bolted after the 70 grain NBT entered just above the brisket. we searched for about 5 minutes before we saw hum sprawled behind a juniper, he had only gone 50'. it was the worst drag I've ever had, but I was so proud of her!

[Linked Image]

best of all I had pics of him in velvet
he had lost 2 tines fighting that week, but it's still him.
[Linked Image]

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I haven't been at this too long, so I am sure that my most memorable deer is still out there, but my most memorable deer so far went down just this last season. An 8 point of decent size.

I had seen him before, fleeting glimpses in the thickest part of my Father-in-Law's 80 acres. I hunted the area during BP season, but never got a shot. Only tracks and scrapes.

Opening morning of rifle season was not exceptionally cold, but I woke to the sound of rain. My wife and I were staying in her parents travel trailer to take advantage of the season. Undaunted, I got dressed and, not wanting to get my first rained on, grabbed my second rifle, a Savage 99 in 300 sav. Once I had enough light to see I headed for the south side of the 80, my FiL went to the North side.

I had intended to stalk the south side. I love hunting in the rain, slowly moving in complete silence, every step masked by the slow rhythm of a fall shower. Still, I thought I might be able to see more if I went and sat in my FiL's tripod situated in the middle of the southern 40, open for 100-200 yards all around, where several trails intersected.

I had not been in stand for long when I heard the first rumble. My shower had turned into a thunder shower. A few minutes later I saw the first flash and started counting, 1, 2, 3, ... 24, 25, and then a low rumble. Five miles away. I thought perhaps the heavier weather would bypass me. I did not want to give up my opening morning hunt in the rain. I waited a few minute, then another flash, brighter than before... 12, 13..BOOM! "Thats not good" I thought. It was moving quick in my direction and I was suddenly feeling very vulnerable in this metal, uncovered tripod in the middle of this field.

Meanwhile, my Father-in-Law had walked in on the North side, probably about the time I decided to hijack his stand, and sat a game trail along the creek. I would learn that he had jumped my buck, who then headed South before he could get a shot. He would later curse me for killing (another) deer out of his stand, but I can live with that. smile

So after counting in the lightning to about 2 1/2 miles I decided that I didn't want to be in that stand anymore. Besides the lightning, I had been having trouble keeping my rifle down out of the better part of the rain. I took one more look around before I climbed down, and there he was. Somehow he had gotten within 75 yards without being seen. The rain had darkened his hide which blended beautifully with the scrub and grass behind him. I scoped him, checked for antlers, they were there so that was all I needed. He was quartering hard towards me to left, I aimed for his chest and squeezed the trigger, down he went.

I took a moment to catch my breath. The day I don't have to calm down after making a kill will be the day I hang it up. As I sat there looking off into the field I could see him laying in the trail with the tall grass waving on either side. In a heartbeat he MOVED! plowing himself suddenly into the grass to the right of the trail and out of sight. It was at that moment I realized I had pulled the shot. I hit him in the right shoulder, completely missing the vitals, but delivering enough force to knock him unconscious for a few moments and break the shoulder.

It was time to get out of the stand. Aside from the encroaching lightning, I now had a wounded deer on the ground that I needed to take care of. I started towards the last place I had seen him, but he was up before I had gone 20 feet, running hard on three legs. I know many hunters like high power scopes, but this is one reason I am a fan of low fixed power: running game. The rifle pulled up with ease, scope settled over his running form, the shot took him in the neck, dropping him at the next trail over.

By this time, I am fairly soaked. He had been running toward a ring of trees on the crest of a long, sloping hill before the land heads back down into a creek. So I decided to drag him the extra 20 feet under a tall oak for field dressing out of the better part of the rain. I had just set my pack and rifle down and made the first cut, when I heard a sound like an electric razor turning on, then off,..ZZZZZZT, and not a moment later, CRACK, BOOM!! I suddenly felt very uncomfortable underneath this tree on the highest point (not by a lot) in a quarter mile. Nothing to do but drag this deer back out into the rain to finish the job at hand.

Almost on queue, my shower turned into a deluge. Water pouring down my neck and around into my eyes and off my nose as I worked away at his innards. Water pooled on my glasses as I stood bent over, making the matter more difficult. I started feel the slightest bit of annoyance at my situation.

I then had a serendipitous moment. I looked up and around, and saw the beauty in the rain falling on grassy fields and trees all around, and at that moment knew that no matter how I felt or what I did the rain would fall and this deer needed to be gutted and it was my job to do. I then noticed my FiL had come up behind me and was standing under the tree snickering at me. Oh well. I finished it up and we walked back to the house to get the truck and hang my deer before we went to find dry clothing.

The cherry on top of all of this? The crest of that hill is the spot where, the year before, my wife and I had been married. That's mine. Nothing real special, just some things that can't be bought.

Hell...Reloading/Shooting are still my favorite things to do,besides play in the box the kids came in.................
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
First backpacking trip for blacktail with a good friend. We were poorly prepared as far as gear, backpacks did not even have frames. Of course after a few miles in we pop over a ridge and he kills a good blacktail on the far side of a canyon. With no easy way to get it we simply drop into the canyon and promptly jump an even bigger buck which I dropped with a .35 Whelen.

Now we have two deer down at a little after noon and between 90 deg heat and plenty of bear in the area we have to get them both out in one trip. We quartered both and made several trips from the bottom of the canyon to the top ridge where the terrain was much easier to walk on. Took us till almost 5pm to get everything to the top. Once everything was at the top we loaded our packs to max, full camping gear for 3 days and a full load of deer. We began walking out and our gear was not helping at all. We got back to camp about 2am and I could not feel my arms or thighs.

We got everything on ice and crashed out. When I woke up the next day I felt horrid with bruises on both shoulders from the straps. When we got home it took less than a few hours to have some real packs ordered and we vowed to never double up on deer again when that far back. That vow lasted for a whole two years before we stumbled on a good herd of bucks and repeated the process but with far more efficiency getting them out.

I hunted hard in Northern California for almost 20 years and took a total of 4 deer, all mature blacktails and they represent the hardest/best deer hunting I have ever done. Probably 20-30 days in the field between punching tags and I would not change a bit of it.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
the buck my wife shot 2 years ago. it was the peak of the rut, bucks were running everywhere. we were going to put a stalk on one we'd seen run into a stand of trees when I spotted this buck peaking around a tree at 110 yards. she leveled her 6x45 mini mauser custom lefthand rifle I had built for her birthday that year. seemed like she aimed forever before pulling the trigger. the buck bolted after the 70 grain NBT entered just above the brisket. we searched for about 5 minutes before we saw hum sprawled behind a juniper, he had only gone 50'. it was the worst drag I've ever had, but I was so proud of her!

[Linked Image]

best of all I had pics of him in velvet
he had lost 2 tines fighting that week, but it's still him.
[Linked Image]

Great buck and I love the rifle.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 117LBS
I haven't been at this too long, so I am sure that my most memorable deer is still out there, but my most memorable deer so far went down just this last season. An 8 point of decent size.

I had seen him before, fleeting glimpses in the thickest part of my Father-in-Law's 80 acres. I hunted the area during BP season, but never got a shot. Only tracks and scrapes.

Opening morning of rifle season was not exceptionally cold, but I woke to the sound of rain. My wife and I were staying in her parents travel trailer to take advantage of the season. Undaunted, I got dressed and, not wanting to get my first rained on, grabbed my second rifle, a Savage 99 in 300 sav. Once I had enough light to see I headed for the south side of the 80, my FiL went to the North side.

I had intended to stalk the south side. I love hunting in the rain, slowly moving in complete silence, every step masked by the slow rhythm of a fall shower. Still, I thought I might be able to see more if I went and sat in my FiL's tripod situated in the middle of the southern 40, open for 100-200 yards all around, where several trails intersected.

I had not been in stand for long when I heard the first rumble. My shower had turned into a thunder shower. A few minutes later I saw the first flash and started counting, 1, 2, 3, ... 24, 25, and then a low rumble. Five miles away. I thought perhaps the heavier weather would bypass me. I did not want to give up my opening morning hunt in the rain. I waited a few minute, then another flash, brighter than before... 12, 13..BOOM! "Thats not good" I thought. It was moving quick in my direction and I was suddenly feeling very vulnerable in this metal, uncovered tripod in the middle of this field.

Meanwhile, my Father-in-Law had walked in on the North side, probably about the time I decided to hijack his stand, and sat a game trail along the creek. I would learn that he had jumped my buck, who then headed South before he could get a shot. He would later curse me for killing (another) deer out of his stand, but I can live with that. smile

So after counting in the lightning to about 2 1/2 miles I decided that I didn't want to be in that stand anymore. Besides the lightning, I had been having trouble keeping my rifle down out of the better part of the rain. I took one more look around before I climbed down, and there he was. Somehow he had gotten within 75 yards without being seen. The rain had darkened his hide which blended beautifully with the scrub and grass behind him. I scoped him, checked for antlers, they were there so that was all I needed. He was quartering hard towards me to left, I aimed for his chest and squeezed the trigger, down he went.

I took a moment to catch my breath. The day I don't have to calm down after making a kill will be the day I hang it up. As I sat there looking off into the field I could see him laying in the trail with the tall grass waving on either side. In a heartbeat he MOVED! plowing himself suddenly into the grass to the right of the trail and out of sight. It was at that moment I realized I had pulled the shot. I hit him in the right shoulder, completely missing the vitals, but delivering enough force to knock him unconscious for a few moments and break the shoulder.

It was time to get out of the stand. Aside from the encroaching lightning, I now had a wounded deer on the ground that I needed to take care of. I started towards the last place I had seen him, but he was up before I had gone 20 feet, running hard on three legs. I know many hunters like high power scopes, but this is one reason I am a fan of low fixed power: running game. The rifle pulled up with ease, scope settled over his running form, the shot took him in the neck, dropping him at the next trail over.

By this time, I am fairly soaked. He had been running toward a ring of trees on the crest of a long, sloping hill before the land heads back down into a creek. So I decided to drag him the extra 20 feet under a tall oak for field dressing out of the better part of the rain. I had just set my pack and rifle down and made the first cut, when I heard a sound like an electric razor turning on, then off,..ZZZZZZT, and not a moment later, CRACK, BOOM!! I suddenly felt very uncomfortable underneath this tree on the highest point (not by a lot) in a quarter mile. Nothing to do but drag this deer back out into the rain to finish the job at hand.

Almost on queue, my shower turned into a deluge. Water pouring down my neck and around into my eyes and off my nose as I worked away at his innards. Water pooled on my glasses as I stood bent over, making the matter more difficult. I started feel the slightest bit of annoyance at my situation.

I then had a serendipitous moment. I looked up and around, and saw the beauty in the rain falling on grassy fields and trees all around, and at that moment knew that no matter how I felt or what I did the rain would fall and this deer needed to be gutted and it was my job to do. I then noticed my FiL had come up behind me and was standing under the tree snickering at me. Oh well. I finished it up and we walked back to the house to get the truck and hang my deer before we went to find dry clothing.

The cherry on top of all of this? The crest of that hill is the spot where, the year before, my wife and I had been married. That's mine. Nothing real special, just some things that can't be bought.

Great Story

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
it's about 4/5ths the size of my ruger 243. it fits her perfectly and she can put them in a silver dollar at 200 yards all day long.
light little gun with a burris compact scope 2-7.
stock was a richards microfit I had to really work on to slim it down and fit the action/barrel.
Mcgowen screwed the barrel on and the bluing work. it's a purty lil gun. the sling was a mothers day gift from the kids.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by varmintsinc
First backpacking trip for blacktail with a good friend. We were poorly prepared as far as gear, backpacks did not even have frames. Of course after a few miles in we pop over a ridge and he kills a good blacktail on the far side of a canyon. With no easy way to get it we simply drop into the canyon and promptly jump an even bigger buck which I dropped with a .35 Whelen.

Now we have two deer down at a little after noon and between 90 deg heat and plenty of bear in the area we have to get them both out in one trip. We quartered both and made several trips from the bottom of the canyon to the top ridge where the terrain was much easier to walk on. Took us till almost 5pm to get everything to the top. Once everything was at the top we loaded our packs to max, full camping gear for 3 days and a full load of deer. We began walking out and our gear was not helping at all. We got back to camp about 2am and I could not feel my arms or thighs.

We got everything on ice and crashed out. When I woke up the next day I felt horrid with bruises on both shoulders from the straps. When we got home it took less than a few hours to have some real packs ordered and we vowed to never double up on deer again when that far back. That vow lasted for a whole two years before we stumbled on a good herd of bucks and repeated the process but with far more efficiency getting them out.

I hunted hard in Northern California for almost 20 years and took a total of 4 deer, all mature blacktails and they represent the hardest/best deer hunting I have ever done. Probably 20-30 days in the field between punching tags and I would not change a bit of it.

Great story. That makes my legs and arms hurt just reading about it.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
it's about 4/5ths the size of my ruger 243. it fits her perfectly and she can put them in a silver dollar at 200 yards all day long.
light little gun with a burris compact scope 2-7.
stock was a richards microfit I had to really work on to slim it down and fit the action/barrel.
Mcgowen screwed the barrel on and the bluing work. it's a purty lil gun. the sling was a mothers day gift from the kids.

Dad has a Mini Mauser that could use the same treatment. Course its a first year production gun with the first OEM synthetic stock on it so he would probably shoot me if I did commandeer it for a 6x45 project. smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 10Glocks, 1moredeer, 67 invisible), 2,542 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,810
Posts18,477,583
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.