Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
H
Huntz Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Name one thing.No lists or seconds.What could you not do with out on a Hunt.This will be a piece of gear,not a gun or clothes.
For me it`s a Rangefinder.I have no ability to judge distance after 150 yards. grin

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only thing that was not common 50 years ago was the 2-way radios, and they are not important.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Huntz - W/O writing a book ONE of the most helpful things (gear) I use is a WINCH.

On a 4 wheeler or similar it simplifies moving dead WEIGHT.

Especially hoisting a carcass for cleaning, skinning, and or butchering.

Using a PBR (point blank range) of 300 yds, I don't worry about distances BEFORE a shot. I use my rangefinder for a lot of things before and AFTER a shot.

To use PBR of 300 yds>>>You MUST have a cartridge capable of flat shooting. Yes I know of mil dots and 'turrents'. Those take time to use.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
I could do without it but my wife gets real upset if I don't take it... cell phone.

NRA Lifetime Endowment Member
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
The internet,of course! Where else could so many "internet hunters" kill so many "trophies"!!!!! grin memtb

Last edited by memtb; 03/03/15.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
GPS

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Laser rangefinders changed more aspects of hunting than any other single device.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Huntz
Name one thing.No lists or seconds.What could you not do with out on a Hunt.This will be a piece of gear,not a gun or clothes.
For me it`s a Rangefinder.I have no ability to judge distance after 150 yards. grin

For me, it's GPS, especially when hunting in new or unfamiliar territory.
Laser rangefinders are useful, but so are flat-shooting calibers that tend to 'flatten out' the distances one normally shoots at game.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
GPS and the ability to download public land and public access on it, In SD you cannot make any mistakes about where you are at when hunting. State land is hardly ever signed, or BLM, sometimes on the Grasslands and USFS but not allways. GPS opened closed lands for a lot of us in SD. Magnum Man

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Huntz

For the timbered and brushy areas I commonly hunt a GPS has been the most important improvement. It has saved me miles of flagging tape.
I do have a range finder but have few reasons to use it.

IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Laser rangefinders changed more aspects of hunting than any other single device.

Ding, ding. I'd probably have a few more critters on the wall. a 40" Dall Sheep to mention just one. And save your breath - don't bother telling me I could have been a better hunter and gotten a little close. smile

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
laser rangefinders by far.

I"m somewhat pleased too, with the advent of digital wind speed meters.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd definitely agree that laser rangefinders have changed hunting, or the way people hunt, the most in the last 50 years. But to the original question, "What could you not do with out on a Hunt" - nothing that was developed in the last 50 years.

A .30-06 with a 4X scope was what I started with, a compass to set a landmark to work towards, a canteen, a sharp knife and a drag rope worked then and would still work now (although dragging would be a lot tougher than it was a few decades ago!). A 4X scope with 7 MOA subtension can tell you all you need to know about range - the animal is in range or the animal is not in range.

Some things developed in the last 50 years have certainly made life easier and more comfortable, bullet development lets one use a lighter kicking rifle with equal lethality, lighter warm and water proof clothing is nice, but there's nothing that is essential.

IMO the one thing that has absolutely ruined more hunting territory than anything else is the widespread use of ATV's - I'm sure that will get a flaming.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Should probably add GIS... ability to look down into all kinds of areas saves years of walking it out...

I've found things I would have never even thought to look for in some areas, especially duck hunting. If I had no clue to even look, it would have remained hidden forever to me.

Obviuosly since I was not the only one that hunted the "new" area, either someone had passed on info or used google earth or such also....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

My drone.

(Kidding)

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The condom.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My drone is outside your window.........

P.S. That's not a condom.
It's wrist rocket tube....

Have Dog

Will Travel

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Cheap air travel.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Barnes X Bullets.
They improved the performance of every caliber.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
AGW,

Good thought. That's been the one "positively-only" contribution I can think of.

LRFs are both a benefit and a negative. The benefit is that we can now know for certain the ranges to game, and that helps with making a shot. The negative is that now too many think that because they know the range that they can make the shot regardless.

ATVs have been a net negative to hunting. The amount of land ruined, now posted, and the overall impact of ATVs on game and on other hunters has been, to me, a huge loss for hunting.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

729 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12savage, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1234, 77 invisible), 3,041 guests, and 1,498 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,739
Posts18,476,029
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.