Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
gotlost Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've been gone for a while but thought I'd stop by again with a question.
If you were to rat hole some precious metals, mainly Gold. would you hold 20th,10th,1/4, 1/2 oz or just Oz's
What do you think of the bars that break into grams?

Please don't give out if you do or how much you mite have,

If you cann't stand my spelling use the ingore feature.

GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
After going through a divorce and seeing how a judge can pretty much wipe out your entire life's work with the stroke of a pen, I'll say yes I can see the value in having gold hidden that no one knows about. At least you could rebuild some of your life after being cleaned out and not be poverty stricken. Before seeing how the "system" works I'd have thought it paranoid, but after seeing it up close and personal I think anyone having all their assets in a position that's exposed to the legal system is foolish.

If I were buying it I'd probably pick the 1 oz. certified bars, they seem easiest to sell or trade.

gotlost Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Never looked at it from that point of view but it does make sense.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My boss and I dug a hole today, he was looking for gold the whole time......I get paid by the hour but still......

gotlost Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I got a little raw that I dug out of some creek beds near here but it's just a expensive Hobby. It's much cheaper to buy the bullion then go pan or sluice for it here!

Last edited by gotlost; 03/04/15.

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Comes to mind the old quote, "It's not how much silver, or gold a man has, more how much brass"

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Some people like to keep silver coins around. In a case where everything has broken down, silver coins are easier to trade//barter than gold bars.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If you do, and are concerned about making smaller purchases in day to day life, rather than holding an investment, get some "junk silver".

Keep it in a safe place... right next to the more valuable .22lr ammo. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree with the junk silver, and smaller denominations of Gold. Ease of liquidation being the key.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Mink
I agree with the junk silver, and smaller denominations of Gold. Ease of liquidation being the key.

Agreed, because while the underlying video is meant to be funny, if we really get to the point that a guy is bartering in tangible assets, the below may be truer than one wants to admit:

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Collecting copper and lead actually..........

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by Mink

Agreed, because while the underlying video is meant to be funny, if we really get to the point that a guy is bartering in tangible assets, the below may be truer than one wants to admit:

That's about how it will go down.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Go ahead and squirrel away tens of thousands of dollars worth of gold. Then, when things get really bad, you can trade all of it for a can of beans.

I've never bought into the old wheeze that gold will always be valuable. If the economy collapses, gold is too heavy to move, and useless for any practical application. Dead weight, in other words.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
To the OP. Everyone has an opinion on saving and investments. Quite frankly I wish I had the funds to buy gold back when it was under $200 an ounce. Just for the gain in value to sell just like I would stocks. As far as saving gold for an economic downturn or collapse, I think it would be rather fruitless.

I like liberals-------------------------------------they make good bear bait! grin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The problem with gold and silver in a SHTF scenario is, you'll always get pennies on the dollar. When it all hits the fan, who really needs gold and silver? Unless you're trading with a 1%-er, you're not going to find many interested. When the SHTF, people are looking for something tangible like food, medicine, or ammunition. I really think .22lr would get you MORE than what you paid for it rather than less than what you paid. Also, canned foods will be worth more than what you paid, and any meds, even over the counter, with a long shelf life.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Go ahead and squirrel away tens of thousands of dollars worth of gold. Then, when things get really bad, you can trade all of it for a can of beans.

I've never bought into the old wheeze that gold will always be valuable. If the economy collapses, gold is too heavy to move, and useless for any practical application. Dead weight, in other words.
Well from 1919 - 1933 the Gold Standard failed 3 times. When that happened the people weren't interested in gold, they were interested in food...which is a big pat of why the gold standard failed. When things got ugly the people no longer valued gold as it "should" have been valued on the books. The governments told them gold was worth X but the people ignored it and set their own prices based on the supply and demand of vital commodities.

And if you look at financial collapse all over the globe, you'll see that gold may be quite valuable for those who have an abundance of the essentials, and they tend to make out like bandits. But for the guy on the street, gold is the last thing he's interested in; he needs to put food on the table.

So the guy on the street with gold, gets pennies on the dollar trading gold for food. Because the only people who will trade food for gold in that situation is the person who knows they can get your gold for next to nothing.

It's a fools errand. Canned food will be worth MUCH more than gold, dollar for dollar.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Small fractions of recognized gold coins 1/10. Silver in 1/2 & 1 oZ coins. Don't think of it as an investment, but as recognized portable means of trade. Small supply of copper & lead might also be of benefit. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Gotlost: I have a stash of "siver dimes" - I am saving them for a "rainy day" or a hussein obama induced financial collapse of the United States of America.
I figure they will be easily recognized and easily traded for necessities should that day come.
If not needed for that then they hold their value pretty well and heirs can cash them in or keep them as they see fit.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

But if you have more beans than you'll need, and seeds to boot, and land.... the gold/silver then can come in handy, if not right then, at some point as the recovery begins...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I missed the superbowl VG, did the seahags win? You never came back to say you were an [bleep] and the thread.
Worm you are

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1minute, 1_deuce, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,371 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,540
Posts18,472,850
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.