-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It depends on your SHTF scenario and planning. If you're planning to hunker down and ride it out, you'd probably be better off with excess canned goods, toilet paper etc that you could barter off at exorbitant prices than pieces of eight. However if your scenario includes having the means to travel from you local into "friendly lands" to start life anew, then having some precious metals to start over would be well advised.

My wife's Grandparents fled Stalinist Russia when they'd been warned they were going to be shot (they were land owners and hence enemies of the state) They fled into Persia and started life anew, and of what little they could carry on their backs was some jewelry which helped them start over from scratch. After the natives provided not so friendly once they became prosperous (this rag heads hating Christians isn't exactly a new thing) led them to traveling to Australia and staring anew again.

I'd certainly take the physical asset of gold and silver over numbers on paper in a bank or investment account in a SHTF scenario, as those numbers on paper won't be worth a thing.

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I would go with something internationally recognized and legal tender, like the Canadian Maple Leaf, which is available in fractionals down to 1/20th oz.
Least desirable would be bullion bars.

Last edited by ruffcutt; 03/04/15.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Go ahead and squirrel away tens of thousands of dollars worth of gold. Then, when things get really bad, you can trade all of it for a can of beans.

I've never bought into the old wheeze that gold will always be valuable. If the economy collapses, gold is too heavy to move, and useless for any practical application. Dead weight, in other words.

Seems outlandish that anyone with an ounce of gold would neglect to put some beans back for a rainy day.

And... Just how heavy is that ounce of gold?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've got 70,000 of pinto beans, wanna buy some to hoard?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
It depends on your SHTF scenario and planning. If you're planning to hunker down and ride it out, you'd probably be better off with excess canned goods, toilet paper etc that you could barter off at exorbitant prices than pieces of eight. However if your scenario includes having the means to travel from you local into "friendly lands" to start life anew, then having some precious metals to start over would be well advised.

My wife's Grandparents fled Stalinist Russia when they'd been warned they were going to be shot (they were land owners and hence enemies of the state) They fled into Persia and started life anew, and of what little they could carry on their backs was some jewelry which helped them start over from scratch. After the natives provided not so friendly once they became prosperous (this rag heads hating Christians isn't exactly a new thing) led them to traveling to Australia and staring anew again.

I'd certainly take the physical asset of gold and silver over numbers on paper in a bank or investment account in a SHTF scenario, as those numbers on paper won't be worth a thing.

i good tell a smilar story about croatia/serbia/etc. In the early 1900's ownership of the turf and currencies changed every few years. It was only prudent to have some assets internationally valued to take with you, sewn in the hem of your wife's dress. Gold doesn't really appreciate in value, it maintains value. I think of this everytime i see a snickers bar for sale at the grocery store, and think of that nickel when i was a kid buying the same thing. I would call it an excellent insurance policy.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by johnw
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Go ahead and squirrel away tens of thousands of dollars worth of gold. Then, when things get really bad, you can trade all of it for a can of beans.

I've never bought into the old wheeze that gold will always be valuable. If the economy collapses, gold is too heavy to move, and useless for any practical application. Dead weight, in other words.

Seems outlandish that anyone with an ounce of gold would neglect to put some beans back for a rainy day.

And... Just how heavy is that ounce of gold?

I was gonna say, different income bracket than me if you have to worry about gold being to heavy to move.

I was born and raised in arizona, got the beans covered. In the depression my mom was on a farm raising pinto beans. She said she could exchange them for anything she needed.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 03/04/15.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
A couple hundred pounds of RICE would do you a lot better! It's gonna be kinda tuff to schitt that gold and silver when the trucks stop running!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
gotlost Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Some interesting commits and views,The SHTF scenario is always a possibility and one should look at it.
The most likely advent would be a Katrina type or something similar to the flooding we had along the front range a couple of years ago. I already have a 10 to 15 day evac Bag and needed paper work ready to grab and go with some cash and I'm planning on adding some coinage to the kit.
Having small increment of gold when I go abroad (out of the con US) has been advised to me by several sources. if you've never been to a 3rd world county this mite be hard to understand.
But for now I'm building a stash for short term economic disruption.
I have most of the staples but knowing that I have some real bartering power goes a long way if the need arise.

If you cann't stand my spelling use the ingore feature.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Never hurts to have several avenues.

The single best thing for 'shtf' scenarios that many like to talk about is to not live in a city.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by badger
Collecting copper and lead actually..........

this ^^^^^ and wine. all good for barter.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

127 members (2500HD, 300_savage, 1973cb450, 338reddog, 204guy, 20 invisible), 1,736 guests, and 1,060 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,051
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.