Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Scientists say jaw bone fragment dating back 2.8 million years evidence of earlier evolution

Published March 05, 2015
FoxNews.com

NEW YORK – A fragment of jaw bone dating back 2.8 million years is evidence that the first humans evolved more than 400,000 years earlier than previously thought, scientists reported Wednesday.

The fossil, which was uncovered in the Afar region in northern Ethiopia, is dated very close to the time that the human, or "Homo" genus, or group, split away from more ape-like ancestors like Australopithecus afarensis, best known for the fossil skeleton Lucy discovered in 1974.

Africa is a hotbed for human ancestor fossils, and scientists from Arizona State University have worked for years at the Ethiopia site, trying to find fossils from the dimly understood period when the Homo genus arose.

Our species, called Homo sapiens, is the only surviving member of this group.

The jaw fragment, which includes five teeth, was discovered in pieces one morning in January 2013 by Chalachew Seyoum, an Ethiopian graduate student at Arizona State. He said he spotted a tooth poking out of the ground while looking for fossils.

The discovery is described in a paper released Wednesday by the journal Science.

Arizona State's William Kimbel, an author of the paper, said it's not clear whether the fossil came from a known early species of Homo or whether it reveals a new one. Field work is continuing to look for more fossils at the site, said another author, Brian Villmoare of the University of Nevada, Las Vegas.

Analysis indicates the jaw fossil came from one of the earliest populations of Homo, and its age helps narrow the range of possibilities for when the first Homo species appeared, Kimbel said. The fossil dates to as little as 200,000 years after the last known fossil from Lucy's species, which has been dated at around 3.2 million years old.

The fossil is from the left lower jaw of an adult. It combines ancestral features, like a primitive chin shape, with some traits found in later Homo fossils, like teeth that are slimmer than the bulbous molars of Lucy's ilk.

Despite that mix, experts not involved in the paper said the researchers make a convincing case that the fossil belongs in the Homo category.

And they present good evidence that it came from a creature that was either at the origin of Homo or "within shouting distance," said Bernard Wood of George Washington University.

The find also bolsters the argument that Homo arose from Lucy's species rather than a related one, said Susan Anton of New York University.

The new paper's analysis is first-rate, but the fossil could reveal only a limited amount of information about the creature, said Eric Delson of Lehman College in New York.

"There's no head, there's no tools, and no limb bones. So we don't know if it was walking any differently from Australopithecus afarensis," which was Lucy's species, he said.

It's the first time that anything other than isolated teeth have turned up as a possible trace of Homo from before 2.3 million years ago, he said.

"This fills a gap, but it hasn't yet given us a complete skeleton. It's not Lucy," Delson said. "This is always the problem. We always want more."

Also on Wednesday, another research team reported in a paper released by the journal Nature that the lower part of the face of Homo habilis, the earliest known member of the Homo branch, was surprisingly primitive. That came from reconstruction of a broken jaw that was found 50 years ago.

The finding means the evolutionary step from the Ethiopian jaw to the jaw of Homo habilis is "not so large," said an author of the Nature study, Fred Spoor of University College London and the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology in Leipzig, Germany.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I saw that in the news yesterday Bob. Always of interest as, amongst other things, Ive got a degree in Anthropology.....and its changed a bunch since I was in college ( Course we were learning then as Australopithecenes....)

Yes, Im that old.... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why you want to stir up schitt with Ringman?

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Queue up the flat earth contingent.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
I saw that in the news yesterday Bob. Always of interest as, amongst other things, Ive got a degree in Anthropology.....and its changed a bunch since I was in college ( Course we were learning then as Australopithecenes....)

Hell, you were studying them as second cousins.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Im waiting for the creationists to pipe up.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 4ager

Hell, you were studying them as second cousins.

Exactamundo! grin

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
They should have consulted Ringman and his Bible. Don't you know scientific techniques are Satan's tools to trick us? Those bones are probably only fifty or sixty years old.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I took Anthropology one semester for a humanities elective. We got to study various early human remains. Coincidentally the same semester I had a classmate in an engineering class, who had a darn skull like a neanderthal. Big eyebrow ridges, and crest ridges on top of his skull. Smart guy and a good student, too. If someone finds his skull a million years in the future, it's going to create a huge controversy. grin

It also shows jumping to conclusions based on one data point is not always wise.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You have a point there..

When I was taking Anthro they were still talking about finding "the missing link"

Had a guy in class that was as you described and I always thought at the time " hell, the missing link is sitting three rows over!" grin

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bob how can this be?? There is other evidence that would suggest it's an inaccurate find. shocked as so many are convinced otherwise. whistle

Lets stir the pot.. grin

http://www.discoverynews.us/DISCOVE...0Old%20As%20We%20Have%20Been%20Told.html

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Woody, I question the veracity of your source! laugh

But I was pretty bummed to see our magnetic field is degrading, centrifugal force could toss me off the planet at any minute! eek

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
We wouldn't have that problem if the earth was flat....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Woody, I question the veracity of your source! laugh

But I was pretty bummed to see our magnetic field is degrading, centrifugal force could toss me off the planet at any minute! eek

You do understand dino's were non existent don't you? laugh We had to change baby sitters years ago when our kids were young because of this BS info they were bringing home.

Last edited by FlyboyFlem; 03/05/15.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 4ager
Queue up the flat earth contingent.

And the KKK contingent. Looks like everyone's got one in the "wood pile"... smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Some just arrive late to the party. It's only been 400 years since the earth began rotating around the sun.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by LostHighway
Some just arrive late to the party. It's only been 400 years since the earth began rotating around the sun.

I just read in a book that the Sun rotates around the earth. The earth is the immovable center of the universe. Which pretty much includes everything.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
They don't have a clue about human evolution.

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A few teeth and they are ready to rewrite history. Kinda like a warm August day and global warming. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1234, 219 Wasp, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 56 invisible), 2,439 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,460
Posts18,489,808
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.