Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Well, to us it is, anyway. The many cast iron skillets, griddles and pots we have get lots of use, year round. Frying, braising, stewing, baking, you name it. Admittedly, the most use of the skillets get are with the timeless eggs, ham/bacon/sausage/hash and potatoes, but truly, the use of such cookware makes me smile no matter what I'm tossing in them.

Here's a dead easy dinner for 2-4. Home style sukiyaki. A few veggies (broccoli rabe, scallions, Chinese cabbage, onion and snow peas tonight) some meat of decent quality thin sliced, some tofu if you like, a couple of eggs, a simple cooking sauce (shoyu/soy, mirin/rice wine--for cooking-- and a tiny bit of sugar). Practically no prep other than cutting. Cook until piping hot and bring the whole shebang over to the table. Sit down, crack a brew and dig in. Historically, the dish is said to have originated in the agricultural areas with the peasantry tossing together whatever veggies, and any meat they might have, onto a flat spade shovel and had at it in the fields over open fires. wink

I know some of you out there *really* know how to make music with their cast iron. Show whatcha' got!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
its taken a few years,but I have converted the wife over to cast iron cooking.ham,eggs , chicken,all of it get the cast iron treatment now.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
KG: The backyard grill is buried under 3 feet of snow....so....

(just as one example) I seasoned the lamb chops (thick one's from Pace's in Saugus);seared in the cast iron skillet,fast and hot until browned nicely, then put the whole thing in the oven with lid on at 250 degrees for 15 minutes.

Crispy seared outside.juicy and perfect medium rare on the inside. Easy.Veddy good!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you must cook indoors, cast iron is the true path...nothing else works as well.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Good on you. Now just mind to behave when your lady is in the kitchen mad about something. Catching an iron skillet in the noggin' can't feel anything but bad. wink

A couple old shots with a different kind of cooking altogether, but the end result allus makes me happy. Several of my very favorites are family hand me downs, and have been used regularly for near 90 years by one side of the family, and around 120 years in the case of one of the irons that originally belonged to WM's great gran in Scotland. Old thing I'd call a griddle with a thin iron handle and hook so as to be used on a cooking surface or hung over a fire. Anyway, love to see or hear of any others and their black gold cookware.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Does simple stuff like sausage, hash browns and eggs (to follow) count? Runnin' cast iron on cast iron in Idaho. grin

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by EdM
Does simple stuff like sausage, hash browns and eggs (to follow) count? Runnin' cast iron on cast iron in Idaho. grin

[Linked Image]

That is a thing of beauty. That stove should make all food taste good.

- Rogue
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Even lazyazz cherry pie with ready made crust. He who cuts his own wood is twice warmed, he who cooks with it is thrice warmed. smile

[Linked Image]

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Awesome pics there guys,

I used cast iron for eggs, bacon, and have no problems with sticking, but if I use it to cook burgers for example then use it to fry eggs in the next day, it sticks.

I try to use a good olive oil for cooking everything. What do yall use in the care and use of your cast iron?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Kamo, I could eat both of those chickens by myself! The skin looks just right. You can keep the tofu tough.

My wife says I have iron skillet fetish. I have several griddles many skillets, one that is square I make cornbread in and a deep skillet called a chicken cooker. I have started picking up a few sheet metal skillets lately and like them also, especially for cooking directly over a fire.

I have never been one to like breakfast espeecially well but I cook hashbrowns and then 2 eggs mixed well and cooked like an omelet and foulded like a taco and 4 HOT sauage patties. I put the taters on the bottom then stack the 2 eggs on top then put the 4 sausage patties on topof the eggs. Easy as it gets and the flavors blend together well and the consistency is good, cremey egg and crispy hashbrowns. You don't even need to salt it, the spicy sausage takes care of the seasoning.

Only thing don't use iron for is making chicken and dumplings.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
outdoor fire apple cinnamon cake - tastes better than it looks

[Linked Image]

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Well it look pretty dng good.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KFWA
outdoor fire apple cinnamon cake - tastes better than it looks

[Linked Image]

That looks fantastic.

- Rogue
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
KG: That looks like duck(?) Got a recipe? smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
I only cok on cast iron. My free range eggs are awsum on cast iron. ALso, it is safer since our bidies need iron and no doubt we get a bit of iron when we cook on it. My sis works at a hospital and she reads a lot about old timers disease. A high percentage of old timers with this disease cooked with aluminum pans for long periods of time. For this reason I only cook on cast. Nice post Camo.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
a dutch oven with legs is so versatile - many times we'll flip the lid over and use it as a frying pan while we cook something else in the dutch.

kudo's to the biscuit picture. Thru trial and error we've finally figure out how to make them in a dutch.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
every time i go to Leighton's i gain weight.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Kamo, would you mind posting those duck recipes?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
ojo i'll see if i can get the recipe for duck gravy from my coonass friend, its damn good.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Love my cast iron.

[Linked Image]

squirrel

[Linked Image]

squirrel gravy

[Linked Image]

bluegill fillets

[Linked Image]

fried cabbage

Shouldn't have looked/posted on this thread, I'm gettin hungry....

maddog

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by BobinNH
KG: The backyard grill is buried under 3 feet of snow....so....

(just as one example) I seasoned the lamb chops (thick one's from Pace's in Saugus);seared in the cast iron skillet,fast and hot until browned nicely, then put the whole thing in the oven with lid on at 250 degrees for 15 minutes.

Crispy seared outside.juicy and perfect medium rare on the inside. Easy.Veddy good!

Bob - That's funny, did something similar with thick cut pork chops last week. Sauteed up some sweet onions and celery, added some chopped up apples to mix and a hint of cinnamon, then hit the pork chops in the hot pan until seared, covered and threw into the over at 325 for 20-25 minutes. Side of basmati rice and brochili. Made for a tasy meal.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Deer camp this year, deer chili with cheesy Mexican cornbread on top - with a can of cream corn mixed into the bread.

I camped next to a bunch of guys at the last bike rally I went to, they were dutch oven fanatics and shared their creations with me. Flung a craving, came home talking about it, so my GF surprised me with a 10" Lodge and all the accessories.
Having fun!
[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
KG,

Funny story about my sweet ol gramma.

Seems like her 2nd husband liked to have a few at the bar before coming home from work.
Once night after how many times of fixing supper only to have him come home late and the dinner being cold she had enough.
Wimpy was his nickname came strolling in with a glow and gramma beaned him over the head with a frying pan knocking him out cock stiff. She stormed off to bed leaving him on the kitchen floor. They had a dog named Bowser so some time later there is some movement and Wimpy headed for the couch. All that was heard in a slurred voice as he got there was "I guess it is just you and me tonight Bowser"

And that is the sweet gramma that before I heard what a holy terror she was with stuff like above I would have never believed it because she treated me like I walked on water.

This story is told whenever we talk about her, she passed away in 2002 and I miss her stories and humor to this day.

Thanks for bringing this up it is a great topic. My mom cooks with cast iron that has been in the family for years and the taste of fresh walleye fillets coming from that pan is a little bit of heaven in a pan.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Showing that squirrel and gills is serious torture.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Killing me Kent with those fresh crappie -

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I hear ya!

Im throwing stuff in the car right now and heading to mad dogs house!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by EdM

[Linked Image]

Of course, and just fantastic, Ed. I grew up in a Victorian home where our stove and ovens were one giant piece. It was a Glendale (edit: maybe Glenwood) and had 6 burners, 2 ovens, butter melter, bread box, warming/pie compartment.

It was turn of the century vintage, I believe. It was a monstrosity and a tank, and I loved it then and miss it now. It had an interesting igniting system, where you'd have to lift a brass collar, turn on a stove burner then depress a spring loaded button, upon which a four-tongued flame would shoot out from the center to reach the four main burners, igniting any that had gas on. As kids we loved watching and playing with that thing. It was like a mini flammenwerfer. wink

When Wee Muther eventually decided that she wanted something more modern, my brother and I despaired. Not as much as the boys tasked with installing the new stove and removing the old one, however (part of the new stove sale deal). The look on their faces was priceless. They eventually need to get a total of six guys to get it out of the house. It must have weighed 800 pounds, no joke. I wish I'd have had the foresight to have kept the beast in the garage. I've seen them in places selling for big money. The only thing was that Wee Muther always complained that the ovens were far too small. You couldn't even get a medium sized turkey in one. That said, the cool factor on that old stove, and yours, Ed, is off the charts.

Thanks to all for chiming in. Some awesome stuff. smile Something about these old things, so many still so useful and often better than the new fangled, throwaway type stuff we have today just floats my boat.

Last edited by kamo_gari; 03/06/15.
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Just looking again at some of the other pics. You boys can flat rock the iron. Outstanding!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't own a pan that is not cast iron. I learned long ago that most people use WAY too much oil in them. I can whip up anything from eggs to enchiladas with a stop at oyster stew on the way and it is grand. if you don't have cast iron experience.....get some.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by seal_billy
Kamo, I could eat both of those chickens by myself! The skin looks just right.

Chickens? shocked Those are wild ducks, you heathen! smile Mallards, to be specific. It they were teal, which I love to cook and eat whole, there would've been four, which fit into that pan perfectly. cool

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Everyday use.
Everything from steaks to eggs to veggies.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by viking
What do yall use in the care and use of your cast iron?

I like using lard/animal fat for seasoning. Cook with different kinds of oils, but mostly peanut, canola and olive.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We only have one skillet that isn't cast iron.

Used to take forever to get them up to temp on the old electric range, now that we have a gas range they come up to temp quick and are even more enjoyable to use. I'm still learning how to relate the knob positions with temp.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by eyeball
Kamo, would you mind posting those duck recipes?

It's not exact, but very similar to this one, EB.

http://www.recipe.com/rhenas-roast-duck/

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Sweet Jayzus the crappie and squirrel dishes look amazing. A+, cookie!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Bizkits...

[Linked Image]

Pineapple Upside Down Cake

[Linked Image]

"Chances Will Be Taken"

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Great thread. I need to take some pictures of all the cast iron I've acquired over the years. It's an obscene amount.

Thanks for starting and sharing guys!!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by eyeball
Showing that squirrel and gills is serious torture.

Was thinking the same thing.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
i only cook with cast iron

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
great 'foodie' shots KG.

Cast iron cookware has a place in my kitchen, both at home and when camping. There are just some tasks nothing else can do as well.

Sam......

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Even in the oven, cast iron makes good bisquits, I'd rather make gravy in stainless to clean up easy when at home.

[Linked Image]

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
great 'foodie' shots KG.

Cast iron cookware has a place in my kitchen, both at home and when camping. There are just some tasks nothing else can do as well.

Totally agree. They do tons of work well, but that said, it ain't exactly a practical wok, for example. wink

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Corn bread in the CI.

Full batch it the 10"; half batch in the 8"

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Toddly
[Linked Image]

Nice collection of Griswold

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You gotta have this:

[Linked Image]

To wind up with this:

[Linked Image]

Steen's Sorghum, Wright's brand thick sliced bacon, and home made biscuits with real butter.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But for camping, I use my sheet iron skillets. I've got three of different sizes. Two of them were made for me while I watched at a shop in Ballarat Aus.

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Sticking with the western theme......grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by krp
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That reminds me, I need to come get my grill grin

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Yep, it's sitting on the back of the garage. worked well heating the lower on the biscuits. May have to make me one.

Kent

Last edited by krp; 03/06/15.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
It is all I cook with. Between enameled and bare cast iron, skillets, dutch ovens, pots and pans, I must have 30 pieces.

My daughters thought I was crazy assembling my stuff, but they see the value in it now. They prefer cooking on it too now.

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Leighton, you keep posting these kinds of photos and you'll end up on my [bleep] list! I've been working out 2 hours a day and eating like an anorexic heroine addict since Thanksgiving to get back to my college size. Everytime I open one of your posts, the 'fridge takes a beating. You doing this to torment me? No beer and 1500 kcal's/day will make you grumpy after a while! smile smile

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Here is my trailer with 80 ovens in it including some BIG ones. Feed 50 people cobbler out of one of the square ones!

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

NRA Benefactor Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
holy crap.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Sticking with the western theme......grin

[Linked Image]

Gotta like those old Monarch's. My exact stove is on The Shootist.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
This one's very similar to the one I grew up with.

[Linked Image]

Great stuff, y'all. Dennis, you've got enough there to melt down and cast a field artillery piece! Wow! wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Here is my trailer with 80 ovens in it including some BIG ones. Feed 50 people cobbler out of one of the square ones!

HOARDER !! grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Our scout troop trailer looks like that.

Scouting is the reason I got into cast iron cooking. Before that I never considered it, now I love it.

Last edited by KFWA; 03/07/15.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Almost forgot....when yer fryin' bluegills and/or squirrels, it's nice to have some cornbread to go along with it. grin

[Linked Image]

maddog

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by maddog
Almost forgot....when yer fryin' bluegills and/or squirrels, it's nice to have some cornbread to go along with it. grin

[Linked Image]

maddog

Hey Maddog - care to part with that receipe?

Thanks

- Rogue
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
mom raised me on regular cornbread made in a cast iron skillet. I was never a fan - didn't even know sweet cornbread existed until my wife made it for me one night.

I'll knock out a pan of sweet cornbread with real butter.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

Well that is one fine collection of cast. A question for the long time cast iron users. Is there any truth to the claim that using cast will increase iron in the blood?

There are no problems that cannot be resolved by the suitable application of high explosive.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This thread is torture... for personal reasons ;(

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I need to buy more cast iron. The older brands, Griswald, Sydney and the like are getting harder to find in any shape at all, and at a price a sane person would pay.
Lodge still makes good quality pieces. The Chinese stuff is very iffy, and I tend to shy away from it.
European enameled cast iron, Staub, Emerald, Le Creuset, while excellent in every way, are VERY spendy.
Ebay can be your friend for the older pieces. So can antique stores, roadside garage sales and word of mouth.
I have very little, compared to some 'hoarders'. laugh

Sam......

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by RogueHunter
Originally Posted by maddog

[Linked Image]

maddog

Hey Maddog - care to part with that receipe?

Thanks

Almost hate to tell you. It's just Martha White sweet yellow cornbread. just follow the directions. I pour it in 8" cast iron skillet, that's been sprayed with canola oil and preheated.

maddog

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Pashooter
Is there any truth to the claim that using cast will increase iron in the blood?

In a word, yes.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Information/IronCastIron.htm

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Most of those weren't mine- I gathered them up to cook for a group of about 400 people a couple of years ago. I do a lot of large group cooking with a couple of other guys. They had the large ovens made and bought a bunch of big 20" ovens before one of the foundries went under. I have only a couple of regular ovens myself, a 16" and a 14".

NRA Benefactor Member

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
What we own my wife bought in the past 10 years at auctions and barn sales in north Idaho.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 63 invisible), 2,612 guests, and 1,338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,469
Posts18,471,386
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.