Well, to us it is, anyway. The many cast iron skillets, griddles and pots we have get lots of use, year round. Frying, braising, stewing, baking, you name it. Admittedly, the most use of the skillets get are with the timeless eggs, ham/bacon/sausage/hash and potatoes, but truly, the use of such cookware makes me smile no matter what I'm tossing in them.

Here's a dead easy dinner for 2-4. Home style sukiyaki. A few veggies (broccoli rabe, scallions, Chinese cabbage, onion and snow peas tonight) some meat of decent quality thin sliced, some tofu if you like, a couple of eggs, a simple cooking sauce (shoyu/soy, mirin/rice wine--for cooking-- and a tiny bit of sugar). Practically no prep other than cutting. Cook until piping hot and bring the whole shebang over to the table. Sit down, crack a brew and dig in. Historically, the dish is said to have originated in the agricultural areas with the peasantry tossing together whatever veggies, and any meat they might have, onto a flat spade shovel and had at it in the fields over open fires. wink

I know some of you out there *really* know how to make music with their cast iron. Show whatcha' got!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]