Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Well, to us it is, anyway. The many cast iron skillets, griddles and pots we have get lots of use, year round. Frying, braising, stewing, baking, you name it. Admittedly, the most use of the skillets get are with the timeless eggs, ham/bacon/sausage/hash and potatoes, but truly, the use of such cookware makes me smile no matter what I'm tossing in them.

Here's a dead easy dinner for 2-4. Home style sukiyaki. A few veggies (broccoli rabe, scallions, Chinese cabbage, onion and snow peas tonight) some meat of decent quality thin sliced, some tofu if you like, a couple of eggs, a simple cooking sauce (shoyu/soy, mirin/rice wine--for cooking-- and a tiny bit of sugar). Practically no prep other than cutting. Cook until piping hot and bring the whole shebang over to the table. Sit down, crack a brew and dig in. Historically, the dish is said to have originated in the agricultural areas with the peasantry tossing together whatever veggies, and any meat they might have, onto a flat spade shovel and had at it in the fields over open fires. wink

I know some of you out there *really* know how to make music with their cast iron. Show whatcha' got!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
its taken a few years,but I have converted the wife over to cast iron cooking.ham,eggs , chicken,all of it get the cast iron treatment now.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
KG: The backyard grill is buried under 3 feet of snow....so....

(just as one example) I seasoned the lamb chops (thick one's from Pace's in Saugus);seared in the cast iron skillet,fast and hot until browned nicely, then put the whole thing in the oven with lid on at 250 degrees for 15 minutes.

Crispy seared outside.juicy and perfect medium rare on the inside. Easy.Veddy good!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you must cook indoors, cast iron is the true path...nothing else works as well.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Good on you. Now just mind to behave when your lady is in the kitchen mad about something. Catching an iron skillet in the noggin' can't feel anything but bad. wink

A couple old shots with a different kind of cooking altogether, but the end result allus makes me happy. Several of my very favorites are family hand me downs, and have been used regularly for near 90 years by one side of the family, and around 120 years in the case of one of the irons that originally belonged to WM's great gran in Scotland. Old thing I'd call a griddle with a thin iron handle and hook so as to be used on a cooking surface or hung over a fire. Anyway, love to see or hear of any others and their black gold cookware.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Does simple stuff like sausage, hash browns and eggs (to follow) count? Runnin' cast iron on cast iron in Idaho. grin

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by EdM
Does simple stuff like sausage, hash browns and eggs (to follow) count? Runnin' cast iron on cast iron in Idaho. grin

[Linked Image]

That is a thing of beauty. That stove should make all food taste good.

- Rogue
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Even lazyazz cherry pie with ready made crust. He who cuts his own wood is twice warmed, he who cooks with it is thrice warmed. smile

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Awesome pics there guys,

I used cast iron for eggs, bacon, and have no problems with sticking, but if I use it to cook burgers for example then use it to fry eggs in the next day, it sticks.

I try to use a good olive oil for cooking everything. What do yall use in the care and use of your cast iron?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Kamo, I could eat both of those chickens by myself! The skin looks just right. You can keep the tofu tough.

My wife says I have iron skillet fetish. I have several griddles many skillets, one that is square I make cornbread in and a deep skillet called a chicken cooker. I have started picking up a few sheet metal skillets lately and like them also, especially for cooking directly over a fire.

I have never been one to like breakfast espeecially well but I cook hashbrowns and then 2 eggs mixed well and cooked like an omelet and foulded like a taco and 4 HOT sauage patties. I put the taters on the bottom then stack the 2 eggs on top then put the 4 sausage patties on topof the eggs. Easy as it gets and the flavors blend together well and the consistency is good, cremey egg and crispy hashbrowns. You don't even need to salt it, the spicy sausage takes care of the seasoning.

Only thing don't use iron for is making chicken and dumplings.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
outdoor fire apple cinnamon cake - tastes better than it looks

[Linked Image]

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Well it look pretty dng good.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KFWA
outdoor fire apple cinnamon cake - tastes better than it looks

[Linked Image]

That looks fantastic.

- Rogue
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
KG: That looks like duck(?) Got a recipe? smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I only cok on cast iron. My free range eggs are awsum on cast iron. ALso, it is safer since our bidies need iron and no doubt we get a bit of iron when we cook on it. My sis works at a hospital and she reads a lot about old timers disease. A high percentage of old timers with this disease cooked with aluminum pans for long periods of time. For this reason I only cook on cast. Nice post Camo.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
a dutch oven with legs is so versatile - many times we'll flip the lid over and use it as a frying pan while we cook something else in the dutch.

kudo's to the biscuit picture. Thru trial and error we've finally figure out how to make them in a dutch.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
every time i go to Leighton's i gain weight.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (007FJ, 17CalFan, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 16penny, 62 invisible), 2,427 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,441
Posts18,470,899
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.