Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prm
I'd like it if my rifle was a lot quieter.

As would most.

The suppressors I have used affected rifle balance and handling in a bad way.

Thanks, but no...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steelhead
You do know that people hunt critters other than deer, right?

I've heard that.

Besides deer, which are more "shot" than "hunted";

I hunt squirrels with the 17HM2, but haven't noticed that the noise bothers them to any degree.

I call 'cats and shoot them with a 22Mag, but don't ever recall shooting more than one 'cat at a particular set up. The only bobcats that I recall seeing in a group have been a mama kitties with kittens and I wouldn't shoot the mother or the kittens.

I shoot pdogs, but I drive to a point over-looking the pdog village and shoot from a portable bench. The pdogs may see the vehicles and people milling around, but seem fairly indifferent. If they do pop down into their holes, that given me time to swap rifles or to let the barrel on the rifle that I'm shooting cool down.

For me, at this point in my life, a suppressor is a superfluous accessory. And, being a notorious gadgeteer, that is saying something, 'cause I'm often among the first to buy and try the new and untested.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by smokepole
At my gun club, all the officers are older retired military guys. The first meeting I went to, I thought they really didn't like each other. Because they were all yelling.

I was a mortar platoon leader in a mech infantry battalion for about eight months, so I can appreciate the hearing loss suffered by a lot of artillerymen 'cause a 4.2" mortar fired from inside an M106 carrier is nothing if not LOUD. I can only imagine how loud it is inside an M109 series 155mm howitzer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Huh, what did you say? I can't hear you cause there's ringing in my ears.

I wish that suppressors were more affordable. I'd have them on every rifle I own. The only drawback is the extra length of barrel. I hope there are suppressor designs coming out that will not have the added length issue.

Why does anyone want to have mufflers on the cars/trucks/any engines?

I do not understand your question!

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bugger
Huh, what did you say? I can't hear you cause there's ringing in my ears.

I wish that suppressors were more affordable. I'd have them on every rifle I own. The only drawback is the extra length of barrel. I hope there are suppressor designs coming out that will not have the added length issue.

Why does anyone want to have mufflers on the cars/trucks/any engines?

I do not understand your question!

This. Suppressors are great. The only drawback is the weight on the end of the barrel and dealing with the wait time for something that ought to be unregulated.

Originally Posted By: slumlord

people that text all day get on my nerves

just knowing that people are out there with that ability,....just makes me wanna punch myself in the balls
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by Steelhead
You do know that people hunt critters other than deer, right?

I've heard that.

Besides deer, which are more "shot" than "hunted";

I hunt squirrels with the 17HM2, but haven't noticed that the noise bothers them to any degree.

I call 'cats and shoot them with a 22Mag, but don't ever recall shooting more than one 'cat at a particular set up. The only bobcats that I recall seeing in a group have been a mama kitties with kittens and I wouldn't shoot the mother or the kittens.

I shoot pdogs, but I drive to a point over-looking the pdog village and shoot from a portable bench. The pdogs may see the vehicles and people milling around, but seem fairly indifferent. If they do pop down into their holes, that given me time to swap rifles or to let the barrel on the rifle that I'm shooting cool down.

For me, at this point in my life, a suppressor is a superfluous accessory. And, being a notorious gadgeteer, that is saying something, 'cause I'm often among the first to buy and try the new and untested.

I"d say don't buy one then.

We get somewhat similar from fellow airboaters.... folsk don't like the loud noise and we are all trying to put on better mufflers, quiet the prop down etc...

Not only does it make others happy, but it is much nicer driving a quieter one to me.

But then tehre are the ones that don't care and like it loud. Thats their call.

Myself being quiet while shooting is a plus to me. Now if there was a workable reasonable shotgun suppressor... would shoot more doves at the house, but since its almost bow season then, and I don't want the deer to figure out that its about to be legal to stick them, being that a bunch of shooting has started, I just don't often shoot doves until bow season is over.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Agreed, air-boats are noisy! Folks run them up and down the Platte River and they can be a bit distracting. Our local Boy Scout camp is on the south side of the Platte River near Fremont, NE, and the air-boats running at night are noisy enough to keep you awake if you have the bad luck of drawing any of the campsites on the bluffs above the river.

The original question arose from my recent purchase of two RAR Predators which come from Ruger with the barrels threaded for suppressors. I was surprised that there was enough consumer demand for a major manufacturer to offer factory threaded barrels in a whole series of regular production firearms. Other than deer herd reduction shooters, I've never seen anybody with a suppressor.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
One nice thing about threaded barrel is it allowed me to put a cheap flash hider to protect the crown. My rifle lives jammed between the seats muzzle down on the floor of my truck.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mohawk
One nice thing about threaded barrel is it allowed me to put a cheap flash hider to protect the crown. My rifle lives jammed between the seats muzzle down on the floor of my truck.

A beneficial unintended consequence!

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I recently bought a couple of RAR Predators, a 204 and a 6.5 Creed, both come with barrels threaded for suppressors. Unless you are hunting/shooting in an urban or suburban area, I can't see that the added value is worth the extra cost.

Can somebody explain this trend to me?

I am now totally deaf in my left ear and have only about 30-35% hearing in my right. I used to shoot a lot of hot-loaded 220 Swifts. No one used hearing protection in the 1950's and '60's and I (and many others) are paying the price. I now use high quality earplugs AND ear muffs to save what''s left. A suppressor sure sounds good to me.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My four year relationship with an M16A1 was enough "tactical" to get me through the rest of my life.

I like .260s and I'm a vet. If your four years were enough "tactical," are the 2 ARs and 2 cases of SKSs "strategic?"

Your parents generation had their rights stripped by the NFA because politicians wanted to look pro-active during the age of motorized bandits and bootleg gangsters. and you were brought up on TV and movies that suggested only bad people used such devices.

Such attitudes can lead to more Draconian legislation, like, say, green tip 5.56 for your ARs being verboten.

Don't buy a suppressor if you don't want one, sir.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ColdCase1984
My four year relationship with an M16A1 was enough "tactical" to get me through the rest of my life.

I like .260s and I'm a vet. If your four years were enough "tactical," are the 2 ARs and 2 cases of SKSs "strategic?"

Your parents generation had their rights stripped by the NFA because politicians wanted to look pro-active during the age of motorized bandits and bootleg gangsters. and you were brought up on TV and movies that suggested only bad people used such devices.

Such attitudes can lead to more Draconian legislation, like, say, green tip 5.56 for your ARs being verboten.

Don't buy a suppressor if you don't want one, sir.

I traded for one of the ARs with a member here back in 2010, it is a DPMS Sportical, and the other is an A2 parts gun with a Plum Crazy $129 lower and an upper that I bought from a member here, also in 2010. The SKS are left over from the early 1990s when you could buy NIB Norinco SKS for $50 or $60 per unit if you bought them by the case, so I drove to Minneapolis and picked up three cases from Bill Hicks.

It seems to me that regulations that keep criminals from easy access to fully automatic firearms is a good thing. I'm not a Class III dealer, so I don't deal in fully automatic firearms, have no desire to deal in them, and have never gone to the trouble of learning the ins and outs of them.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Jeff,

I believe the Salvo would suit your dove hunting needs.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

It seems to me that regulations that keep criminals from easy access to fully automatic firearms is a good thing.

And with this, the reason our rights have been slowly stripped away is evident.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

It seems to me that regulations that keep criminals from easy access to fully automatic firearms is a good thing.

That's fucgking brilliant.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by liliysdad

And with this, the reason our rights have been slowly stripped away is evident.

So, you want criminals to have easy access to fully automatic firearms???

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I really would prefer to have criminals locked up and kept there..

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I really would prefer to have criminals locked up and kept there..

Molon Labe
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

So, you want criminals to have easy access to fully automatic firearms???

Sure do.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In case you haven't noticed, making something illegal has never prevented criminals from easy access, it has only hindered access to law abiding citizens.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (1minute, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 64 invisible), 2,517 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,819
Posts18,477,719
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.