Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Once a shooter passes 60 "What?" IS the allure of suppressors

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I see what you did there.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

GTC

I have no idea what you think I did.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wasn't talking to you, sorry.

That was for Phil.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 03/10/15.

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Quick Reply now references the OP. GTC was referencing 458Win in his reply.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Fast and Furious was obviously a mistake, but the exception, rather than the rule. I don't claim to have any expertise regarding the issue of fully automatic firearms and the fact that they are tightly controlled under current law is irrelevant to me 'cause I have no desire to own a fully automatic firearm.

As I understand it, under current law, anybody who can pass the background checks and pay the associated costs can own a fully automatic firearm unless that ownership is proscribed by local law. Where I live, there are no restrictions, so no hurdle that I can't pass.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

GTC

Yes, but did you HEAR it? smile

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Been saying it for YEARS. Lots of Fudds out there that are no less the enemy to the Constitution than is Obama and his ilk.

Who do think elected the brown clown and his ilk to office?

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Fast and Furious was obviously a mistake, but the exception, rather than the rule. I don't claim to have any expertise regarding the issue of fully automatic firearms and the fact that they are tightly controlled under current law is irrelevant to me 'cause I have no desire to own a fully automatic firearm.

As I understand it, under current law, anybody who can pass the background checks and pay the associated costs can own a fully automatic firearm unless that ownership is proscribed by local law. Where I live, there are no restrictions, so no hurdle that I can't pass.

Ahh, the old "I dont like those guns, so I dont care what happens to them" argument. Like I said earlier, gun owners like you have done more damage to our rights than any gun control organization.

Just to clarify, you feel that a tax, background check, and the permission of a local law enforcement head is not an infringement on the rights enumerated in the Second Amendment? How do you feel about high capacity magazines, concealed carry permits, or waiting periods?

Last edited by liliysdad; 03/10/15.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Been saying it for YEARS. Lots of Fudds out there that are no less the enemy to the Constitution than is Obama and his ilk.

Who do think elected the brown clown and his ilk to office?

I know, a WHOLE bunch of Yankee 'conservatives'. I've met my fair share of them.

They think because the hunt 2 days a year that they are conservatives. They just happen to be the leper with the most fingers.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Epic stupidity.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd say WILLFUL stupidity.

It was evident at the outset that this was not going to be a pro 2A exercise on the OP's part.

"....the exception, rather than the rule..."

'nuf said.

GTC

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Seems to me I recall some well-known hunting writers blog including, "I call them terrorist rifles," when referring to AR-15's a few years ago. He didn't get it either, but has since been educated.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I know, a WHOLE bunch of Yankee 'conservatives'. I've met my fair share of them.

They think because the hunt 2 days a year that they are conservatives. They just happen to be the leper with the most fingers.

Funny... I've spent enough time in different parts of the country to know that there are those everywhere who take big brother and his "gifts" of safety & security for granted.

of course to call oneself conservative all he has to do is find one person more liberal than himself. That ain't hard, whether you're north or south of the Mason-Dixon line.

Conservatism, as in the system of thought, is a little bit more complicated than that. Lucky you're far enough south to be able to skip over such complexities.

Fact is, there are an awful lot of people content to let the gov't "protect" them whether that be from some faceless rich capitalists, criminals here, or dark-skinned hate mongers across the sea. No matter the justification it just makes the gov't more powerful, and the people more dependent upon it for daily sustainance.

As Ben Franklin said, anyone who'd give up his freedom for security deserves neither.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Shared a camp in Namibia last year with a couple of Englishmen. They both had "Moderators" on their .308s.
Came in real handy for multi-target scenarios, like baboons and jackals.
They also found them useful in culling Gemsbok with missing/broken horns.

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Seems to me I recall some well-known hunting writers blog including, "I call them terrorist rifles," when referring to AR-15's a few years ago. He didn't get it either, but has since been educated.

OK, I don't get the allure of suppressors and fully automatic firearms, but I don't see how the current Federal laws are so onerous that they keep anyone who can legally own one from going out and buying one. Yes, there are hurdles involved, but those hurdles are no greater than those that must be negotiated to get an FFL and getting an FFL isn't very hard.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Dig all you want, you have made a home of this hole.

A complete ban on new machine gun production forcing prices to astronomical amounts, a forced tax, a background check, the begged permission of law enforcement, and a wait of up to a year...and you dont find this onerous?

Personally, I find ANY firearms law onerous, but because of "sportsmen" like you, they are a reality that will never go away.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
And this is how the post-1986 full auto ban went into place.

And how the myriads of creeping bans in California, Connecticut, New Jersey, Maryland, etc. are taking place.

Find enough people who don't care about a class of firearms and put some bans into place. Then put another "sensible" restriction in place. And another. And another.

You just have to find people who don't care because it doesn't directly affect them.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Rory,

You live about as close to me and any other 24HCF member and you and I can both own any class of firearm we want. If there is any restriction in Nebraska, it is the handgun purchase law that requires a resident to obtain a handgun purchase permit. You go to the county sheriff's office, fill out a form, pay $10 for three years, and if you pass the cursory background check you walk out with your permit. It is a restriction, but hardly an onerous restriction.

I have long thought that a national firearms purchase permit, a Federal version of the Nebraska handgun purchase permit, would make buying a firearm easier for everyone involved, both the buyers and the sellers.

EDIT: I am frequently reminded that most people don't care about issues that don't directly impact them. Reference the futility that is represent by the Omaha Public Schools. If the movers and shakers in Omaha cared about the low academic performance by a large portion of the OPS student population, the resources necessary to boost performance would be found and changes implemented.

Last edited by 260Remguy; 03/10/15. Reason: Added OPS comment
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
You should have to pay $10 to voice your opinion.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (12344mag, 16penny, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 66 invisible), 2,283 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,820
Posts18,477,783
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.