Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I guess....every one I have ever been behind seemed to work just fine.

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
You got a stamp, I'll send you one that don't work.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Out of curiosity, what is it? I have heard, not seen, of a couple of certain manufacturers that WILDLY overstate their reductions. Oddly enough, these are the same folks who seem to have quality issues as well.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Papers are packed in boxes. It's for a 22cal. I have used it on a threaded RUGER 22. Basically POS bought it in Al, think the factory is also Al.

Here's a pic

[Linked Image]

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Thats interesting, as typically even the cheapest .22 suppressors work just fine. How does it sound with Subsonic?

IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by 5sdad
This thread has been enlightening as I had not really given much thought to suppressors. After reading through it, I have identified the following benefits:
1) hearing protection for the shooter and those nearby
2) politeness in not annoying those within hearing distance
3) not startling game in the vicinity of the shot
4) introduction of new shooters to the sport without the noise
turning them off
5) the chance, through use and/or support, to establish one's
cred as a True American
6) the opportunity to add to one's collection of "cute"
firearms-related terms through the use of "cans"

Can anyone add to the list, or conversely, point out any negatives about them?

7)Reduced recoil (no noisy break required)

8)Possibility of increased accuracy

9)Reduction of muzzle blast

As to the issues of weight and balance, there are cans available in Europe where these common complaints have been addressed. Within the next year, I hope to have production of one such solution started in the US with a can that provides hearing safe solutions with an increase in the length of the rifle of about 4" and an increase in weight of about 7 ounces. This isn't an ad for them, merely pointing out that many of the deficiencies some of the posters have identified as to why they wouldn't buy a suppressor can be mitigated with intelligent design and some advanced materials.

Oh and the OP is a classic example of the kind of back stabbing idiot who doesn't get and will never get the whole idea behind the 2nd Amendment. Those kind of people are who helped get semi auto rifles banned in the UK in the 1980's and assisted in accepting 'reasonable restrictions' on other firearms which led to the next ban on handguns in the 1990's. Its the thin end of the wedge and ANY restriction on the rights of the people need to be vigorously resisted. And yes, its all or nothing; you're either with us or against us.

And to the guy who claims to have a .22 can that doesn't work: I have an SOT and would be glad to look at it if the manufacturer won't stand behind their product. However, you need to understand you will still have a sonic 'boom' if you're using hyper velocity ammo. Much of the standard velocity .22 ammo is inconsistent too with some of them exceeding the speed of sound every few rounds. With quality standard velocity or sub sonic ammo, even the most basic .22 can will reduce the sound of the round to a 'click' of the firing pin striking the round, a dull 'whap' sound and then the noise of the round impacting the target. If the can doesn't do that, its a REALLY crappy can....

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Well Guess I have a REALLY, REALLY crappy can.

Last edited by MissouriEd; 03/12/15.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Try Imodium

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
your correct of course, really need to get rid of the runs and flush the can.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by liliysdad
Out of curiosity, what is it? I have heard, not seen, of a couple of certain manufacturers that WILDLY overstate their reductions. Oddly enough, these are the same folks who seem to have quality issues as well.

Maker is the following

Advanced Armament
2408 Tech Center
Lawrenceville, GA 30043

Model is: Element
Serial is EL-1253

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I had the opportunity to use a Browning semi-auto with a full length suppressor which made it look like a bull barrel target rifle. We took it to a prairie dog town and had lots of fun with sub-sonic ammo. It was not effective with high speed ammo. Prairie dogs had no clue what was happening to them.
The only noise was the bolt slapping back and forth and the impact of the bullets.
It was explained to me that this design utilized replacement washers or baffle plates. I wonder what the life expectancy would be using high speed centerfire ammunition?
I can/do see the value for a 45 acp pistol.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by rost495
Love the 2 we now have. So nice not to scare all the deer in a half mile when the gun goes off. Have seen the deer 50 yards away from teh shot one just look up and go back to normal then even...

So nice to shoot around the house even though we are rural, without having to find a pair of plugs or muffs.

22s are pure joy, just a click clack and no hearing protection needed.

Not at all sure why everyone wouldn't want to tame that noise

Just like taming the noise on my airboat, the quieter I can make it the happier I am and everyone else around me.

I would love to have them on all my Rifles.That being said I have a 200 yard range outside my back door.The target is in a food plot.As soon as I am done shooting,the deer are feeding.Gun shots do not scare them at all.

Last edited by Huntz; 03/12/15.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Ed, that sucks.

Is it for sale?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Not yet. I'm going to disassemble and soak in carbon solvent then try it again with different subsonic ammo when I can get it. I'll let you know.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The AAC Element is a pretty well regarded suppressor. If it continues to make you unhappy, I would contact the manufacturer. In the end, you may simply have unrealistic expectations. With subsonic ammo, however, that can should be nigh on silent.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Back to the "allure" of suppressors? I got mine mainly for hog hunting. I hunt mostly on my own small property, and often at night. Less noise is good. When Col. Pete Flores was still head of the TPWD Law Enforcement Division (Game Wardens) he told me he thought they should be mandatory, for ear protection and noise pollution alone. Mine is on a 14" Contender .44 mag barrel,in a carbine stock. It balances fairly well with the 12" suppressor, but is heavier than might be expected by just looking at it. It is a short range weapon, over about 75 yards the bullet drops like a rock. I was disappointed in the amount of noise suppression at first, but shooting 300gr+ hard cast bullets at 1050 - 1100 fps is a LOT quieter than a full power .44 mag. It is hard to hear the shot from any distance, and if you heard it, would be hard to tell exactly where it came from. As to making multiple hog kills, I've only done that when I got more than one with one shot, otherwise, when one hog goes down bleeding and kicking, maybe squealing - the rest don't need to hear a shot to figure out something is wrong! I have also watched deer in an open field hear a large caliber rifle shot fairly close, raise their head and stare, then go back to eating if no danger appeared. For the use I put it to, I like my suppressor, glad I have it. Would not necessarily want one on every rifle I own, but I'd like to have at least one more - mine is welded to the 14" barrel, to avoid also needing a Short-Barreled Rifle "Permit", so I can't switch it over to my 16" .45 Colt barrel as I would like to. Would like to see the restrictions eased up more. Have no idea how a thread on suppressors turned into a discussion on fully auto weapons, except that they are both restricted in a similar manner?

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by MissouriEd
Not yet. I'm going to disassemble and soak in carbon solvent then try it again with different subsonic ammo when I can get it. I'll let you know.

You probably have a can that's filled up with lead, or else you're using supersonic ammo and expecting to not hear the "crack".

That can with subsonic ammo on a bolt action rifle should be no louder than snapping your fingers.

To claim that suppressors simply don't work, based on your one experience, seems a bit naive. Would there be such a large industry around them if they just didn't work?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by MissouriEd

I have a variety of different subsonics if you want to try some.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Was the Element new when you bought it? If not, how many rounds have you fired through it?

I've got an AAC Aviator I wish could be disasembled for cleaning.

Sometimes folks just don't know what they don't know.

Two examples:

1. My brother has an AAC M4-2000 that he can use legally for hunting in his state. I got him an AAC brake and a threaded 10-22 barrel for Christmas few years back. He bitched to me about it being as noisy as his 6920 was when he was shooting PDs with it suppressed. I asked him what ammo he was shooting, "CCI Mini-Mags" says he. I explained what was happening. "Oh..."

2. Today at an Academy near here I was mulling ammo and two gun newbies older than me (55) were explaining handgun loads to a chubby granddaughter or third wife and bemoaning the lack of white box .357 "practice ammo" loaded with FMJs like all the .38 loads...I didn't explain it to them.

Here we explain, encourage and even offer ammo to folks. Some like the OP, however, reveal themselves beyond hope due to their ingrained gov.org sensibilities.

Last edited by ColdCase1984; 03/14/15.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Keep wanting to add something to this, but every time I try nothing comes out.

The wife wanted me to tell y'all suppressors are great.

I don't get it.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (12344mag, 1234, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 59 invisible), 2,908 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,796
Posts18,477,396
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.