Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Picked up a LH Rem KS about a year ago. No issues with the rifle at time of purchase. I like Timney triggers, so swapped in a Timney trigger a couple months after I purchased the rifle. Dialed it down to 2lbs. Again, no issues. A few months ago swapped in a PTG LW firing pin assembly. Shortly after that, noticed two issues:

1) Trigger pull with the PTG LW firing pin is in excess of 6 pounds. Can not dial it down. If I swap the factory firing pin assembly back in, trigger pull is right at 2lbs where I originally set it. Why would the Firing pin assembly make the trigger pull go off the chart ?

2) Same time I am swapping firing pins, I notice that the firing pin will only stay cocked when closing the bolt if the rifle is reasonably horizontal or pointing downward. If pointing up, or upside down, the firing pin moves forward when the bolt is closed. Does the same with either firing pin assembly.

If I put the KS bolt in another Rem 700 action, the bolt closes and firing pin cocks without issue, in any position, with both firing pin assemblies.

FWIW, before I figured out that the trigger pull weight was related to the LW firing pin, I purchased another Timney trigger. I figured I unknowingly did something to screw up the original Timney trigger. I have both issues above with both triggers. So, unless I got two bad triggers in a row, 8 months apart, not sure that it is a trigger problem.

What I think I know at the moment: Trigger pull weight appears to be an issue with the LW firing pin. Failing to stay cocked on closing the bolt appears to be related specifically to the KS rifle, possibly having a Timney trigger in this specific rifle.

All help and constructive input greatly appreciated...

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Your lightweight FP likely has a different angle on the cocking piece, may also have a heavier spring as well.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Can you tell me for sure the advantage to a lightweight firing pin?

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by butchlambert1

other than taking a ounce or two off the weight of the rifle nothing at all

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I think the intention there is to decrease lock time, not make the rifle lighter.

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
[quote=Yondering]I think the intention there is to decrease lock time, not make the rifle lighter. [/quote

I know but it will also reduce weight. I never found that I needed faster lock time in any of my Remington 700. I tried a Pierce reduce weight firing pin in one of my 6BR's, didn't make it shoot any tighter, if fact I seen no improvement what so ever. It was giving it to test it out, sold it later and put the factory firing pin back in. I have quite few 700's that will shoot bug holes, and seen no reason to waste money on faster lock time.

Last edited by gemby58; 03/12/15.
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Sometimes, solving a non-existent problem has unintended consequences that are greater than the (non-existent) problem...

Clarence

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by TheKid
Your lightweight FP likely has a different angle on the cocking piece, may also have a heavier spring as well.

Visual inspection, the angles appear to be the same. It does have a heavier spring. However, swapping the LW FP assy into the other rifle does not seem to affect the pull weight. Dimensionally, the original and the aftermarket unit appear to be exactly the same. It almost feels like the LW FP assy is putting something in a bind. However, I am not knowledgeable enough to sort it out on my own. And fire control is not something to screw with...

Off to a real gunsmith shortly. At this point I am outside my comfort zone.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Orion2000,
They are for people that want the latest greatest. Dwight Scott,who I consider the very best BR gunsmith, is making a lot of money adding a tungsten weight to competition firing pins. My Bat BR rifle shoots a little better this way. The faster lock time might help a competition off hand shooter, and I say might!

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
The firing pin assembly was replaced with an aftermarket unit with a heavier spring to correct an issue with occasional light primer strikes on hand loads. Which it did. I happened to choose a LW unit to go with a KS rifle. If it had been an ounce heavier and still fixed the ignition problem, I would have been just as satisfied with that aspect.

No interest in debating the benefit of LW firing pins. Still open to constructive suggestions regarding how to correct the two issues outlined in my original post.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Given the number of threads about problems with this type of pin, the only real advantage goes to the shipping companies

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I don't think we have an answer for him. If he has a good smith, he will fix it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would get some dye or Prussian blue on the pin and see what the contact issue is. There isn't much to go gunny bag between the two, but you don't have much to mess with either.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

383 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 19rabbit52, 17CalFan, 48 invisible), 2,580 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,551
Posts18,510,327
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.