Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
they are suppose to have some barnes solid copper in towards the end of the month. Hope i get a few boxes of those before they get zipped up. I just want the projectiles to do my own loads.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I ran out of the 5000 Hornady 210 gr. XTP'S I've been feeding off of. The good news is you can readily buy them. Think I might fire up the lead pot this weekend before it gets hot out. Anyone tried the polymer coating for cast?

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Ron...let me know if the 300s I sent you will fit in your handguns. One of the ones I had won't fit in the handguns but work fine in the Marlin.

Tried out some test loads on Tuesday. One was the Accurate Molds 41-250F and the other the 250L. I designed the F as it is a longer version of the V I requested. The L is for leverguns and is a gas checked boolit. Both boolits are cast in the same mold. They were loaded with 22.0 grains of H110 which should put them right at 1400 fps from a 5.5" barrel.

Range was 20 yards standing. Fired two 5 round groups out of the Freedom Arms 654 6". These loads will stand the gun right up.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Then fired five more rounds into each of the targets..

[Linked Image]

Groups aren't the best but every shot went where called. I fired three rounds of the 250F out of a 6.5" Blackhawk and called it quits...these loads are a little much for the small BH grips. Think I'll stick with the 220 Keith bullets with that one...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
i found a bag of new starline brass that i forgot i had so tomorrow i think i will load them up and let you know. I have got to think running that 250 with 22gr of h110 would have made elmer proud, and your wrist not so proud. I bet it does stand the gun straight up.
Those 265's i was messing with last week were not to the firewall but they werent light either, and i got a lot more recoil that i expected.

I think the 44mag with 310 grainers was easier in recoil. I probably should shoot them back to back.
300 gr in the 41 and 310 in the 44.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by RJM
Ron...let me know if the 300s I sent you will fit in your handguns. One of the ones I had won't fit in the handguns but work fine in the Marlin.

Tried out some test loads on Tuesday. One was the Accurate Molds 41-250F and the other the 250L. I designed the F as it is a longer version of the V I requested. The L is for leverguns and is a gas checked boolit. Both boolits are cast in the same mold. They were loaded with 22.0 grains of H110 which should put them right at 1400 fps from a 5.5" barrel.

Range was 20 yards standing. Fired two 5 round groups out of the Freedom Arms 654 6". These loads will stand the gun right up.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Then fired five more rounds into each of the targets..

[Linked Image]

Groups aren't the best but every shot went where called. I fired three rounds of the 250F out of a 6.5" Blackhawk and called it quits...these loads are a little much for the small BH grips. Think I'll stick with the 220 Keith bullets with that one...

Bob

okay, i held my nose and loaded them with your suggested weight of 296. Overall length was 1.690 which put the mouth right in the crimp groove. Now the interesting part.
Fit perfectly in a redhawk
fit perectly in two six inch model 57's
fit perfectly in one 4 inch 57
would not allow cyclinder to turn in a 58
would not allow cyclinder to turn in another 4inch 57
would not allow cycliner to turn in a three screw blackhawk.
would not allow cyclinder to turn in a 657 mt gun.
It isn't that they were too long for the cyclinder there was enough room there.
The rim was protruding out a little at the rear on the cyclinders meaning they were cut differently at the throats.
to make them work in the ones where they didn't work i would have to seat them deeper, so the mouth was in front of the crimp groove. Who would have thought? I guess the moral of the story is they cut those cyclinders a little different even within the same model from the same manufacturer. I guess one solution would be if one wanted to was just seat them a couple of thousandth's deeper and check them in the particular revolver they were to be used in.

as an addendum, i had my wife fire some 265's last week, she stopped before a full cyclinder. I asked her this morning if she wanted to try these. Don't think she is going to do it.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 03/13/15.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
as i mentioned in the email, penn bullets makes a 300 grain gascheck for 41magnum. I wonder if it has similar issues?

this is the one i am talking about.

https://www.pennbullets.com/41/41-caliber.html

Last edited by RoninPhx; 03/13/15.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Shorten the case so you can still crimp in the crimp groove or open the throats.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
as i mentioned in the email, penn bullets makes a 300 grain gascheck for 41magnum. I wonder if it has similar issues?

this is the one i am talking about.

https://www.pennbullets.com/41/41-caliber.html

That is a plain base boolit and no it doesn't have the issues that some of the LBT designs do. LBT boolits have a full diameter area ahread of the crimping groove. If ones chamber has a shot lead into the cylinder throats then this full diameter area will halt forward progress into the chamber.

Going to do some experimenting as I think that the problem is that the boolit isn't going far enough into the sizing die without filling the crimping groove with lube. On the boolits shot above I had to resize each boolit a second time deeper into the die with no grease pressure built up to get them into the chambers of the Freedom Arms. I also just received a .409 sizing die that may take care of the problem the first pass...

Bob

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
RJM, try a Bisley grip frame and hammer.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Thanks for the suggestion but I have had 3 Bisleys and one Bisley Hunter. While they feel good in the hand to me the gripframe transmits the recoil right back into the palm of my hand and up my arm.

I do have a Gary Reeder Gunfighter grip on a .41 that will handle these loads but rolls better than the stock Bisley grip...

Bob

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
i was out at cabella's today snoopin in their gun library.
i can't remember the last time i saw any smith revolvers in there.
i did see one ruger redhawk in .41magnum in a long barrel probably 7inches for about 600bucks, but it kind of looked like a boat anchor.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Same here...the last decent Smith revolver I saw on a dealer's shelf at a decent price I bought...

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Almost never see any decent used Smith revolvers around here. Gotta beat the bushes or get out in the sticks to get those.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R

i am beginning to wonder if 265grains is as far as you want to go?

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Really the 255 CP bullet is all one really needs... I just have played with the 300s for fun...they are not really all that fun to shoot which is why I generally only shoot them from the Crabines, Reeder or the FA...

Bob

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Have been looking at the Accurate 41-265V...don't think one can get better than this...

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=41-265V-D.png

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
If you wanted a Keith this would work also...

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=41-260R-D.png

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
i was on their website last night looking at those bullets.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
i loaded up and fired a few of montana bullets 265 grain bullets a week or so ago. They had been heat treated to around brn23 or 24. Pretty stout with the powder load i had in them, but no leading of issues at all. I am going to try them in a carbine, and also run through a chrony both in the carbine and revolver.
I was using AAno 9 as i remember.
i did load up those 300grainers you sent me with 296, but haven't fired them yet.
one of the interesting things to me, probably useless chatter to others, is the similarities in .375 winchester, 44magnum, 41magnum, and 45 colt and i should add 38.55 when you get looking at these bullet weight/velocity things in those calibers. They are not that far apart in the carbines.
i had a friend center punch a nice mule deer with a .358 lever browning using a 220grain bullet at about 2200fps. That is within the range of the .375winchester and just a couple hundred feet faster than the 40caliber pistol/rifle loads. It was pretty nasty on the exit hole it made on that deer.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 03/16/15.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (219 Wasp, 222Sako, 1eyedmule, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,556 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,566
Posts18,473,245
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.