-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would test this gun with ammo that will be used for hunting. Nice hunting gun that could benefit from new scope of better optical performance. I had one of those old Redfields on Browning Safari Grade Mauser. Optical performance was pretty bad even when compared to inexpensive (<$200) modern Nikon, Redfield, Burris,.....

GB1

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I like it and would love to have it...I have a weakness for standard grade 70s, especially in '06. Love the Supergrade swivels. I'd probably ditch the alum buttplate and put a Galazan's Win repro pad on it...then leave it alone. That Redfield 3-9X scope, coupled with a 700 Rem, killed A LOT of bad guys in the RVN...I'd keep it.
Bob

Last edited by RGK; 03/13/15.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My buddy picked up second hand like new Pentax 3-10x50 (Burris Made in USA) for $185. For love of God I do not understand why people put money into refinishing old guns and leave old scopes on that are optically equal to $80 Simmons from Walmart. crazy

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've owned more than a half dozen of those Redfields and back in 1975-1980 they were likely the best scope America had to offer.

I had a 4X16,at least 4 different 3X9's and a couple 2X7's
I retired my last 3X9 with rangefinder about 4 years ago.
My 2X7 is still going strong.

I've never owned an $80.00 Simmons from Walmart but I doubt like hell it could ever match those Redfields.

I like it here. They let me swear.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Slavek
My buddy picked up second hand like new Pentax 3-10x50 (Burris Made in USA) for $185. For love of God I do not understand why people put money into refinishing old guns and leave old scopes on that are optically equal to $80 Simmons from Walmart. crazy

Since you helped out us "strugglers" on the recoil pad question, let me return the favor.

You refinish old guns to make them nice to look at. The operative word is "at." People enjoy looking at them. You look through scopes, not at them, and the optical performance of them is not really all that important. The sole purpose of rifle scope is to help you direct bullets to where you want them to go. It needs to gather light well enough and have enough resolution to allow you to aim well (and sometimes quickly), but beyond that, reliability and durability are what you need. If you are a "turret twister", you also need it to track precisely and repeatably. You don't need to resolve the rings of Saturn with the damn thing. Why the hell do I care if there is a bit of distortion on the edge of the field?! Optical performance matters a lot with binoculars and spotting scopes. Good optics here prevents eye strain, and allows you to resolve things that need resolving, like bullet holes at long distance, or the eyes of that leopard when it looks right at you. Here, great optical performance is a joy to use. With rifle scopes, not so much. However, if you are a genuine sniper, who spends a huge amount of time watching things through a scope, optical performance can become more important.

Last edited by GunDoc7; 03/13/15.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Slavek

I didn't refinish it nor did I mount the scope on it. I bought it just the way you see it. The scope is clear and works fine. I like it.

I don't think an old rifle looks right with a new scope on it.

I have many Leupold scopes on rifles, and others lying in the safe. While I appreciate good optics, most of my deer hunting is done with lever rifles and irons.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had several older scopes: Meopta, B. Nickel, Browning (made by Redfield) and Tasco World class. While all fall short when compared to my modern Zeiss or Nikon Monarch the Tasco was best of that bunch. crazy
The best scope I ever owned was Khales Helia 1,5-6x42.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1minute, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 62 invisible), 2,541 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,818
Posts18,477,708
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.