Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Anybody know where I can find a 16 oz hammer with a wood handle that is made in our Country? I love Estwings but for a light hammer I prefer a wood handle. I have checked out a couple of made in USA websites and can't find anything.

"It might be gone when you get here, but basically it's a green, '64 Chevy, driving West down Maine Street. No, I can't make out the licence plate, but ...errrr... it'll be pulling a small church. So any Green Chevy pulling a church down Main Street, I guess that'll be the one."
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Check out Plumb, I believe they are still made here.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just saw a Plumb that looked just like my 30 year old hammer for less than $10 at one of the chain stores. It was made in China and kind of pizzed me off. Ward

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Damn, I had high hopes for them.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
All I buy are Vaughn hammers, if you look real hard you can find them with hickory handles, ACE hardware carries them. les

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
what about Stanley, I know they have a plant in smiths Falls Ontario, but I think they are an american company.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.d...UseBVCookie=Yes

Buy it at a local Sears retail outlet after checking to make sure they are still made here. I took a hammer in that my Dad bought about thirty years ago. It had a broken fiberglass handle. Sears not only replaced it, but gave me an upgrade to a Craftsman Steel-handled hammer, the same as an Estwing.

I doubt you can find a Stanley hammer made here anymore. I've got a plain one made twenty years ago, that my in-laws gave me, and it's made in China, I think.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I just saw the show "Made in America" they were making hammers. It was Stanley.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is a rip hammer and a 16 oz. one at that. Used for taking stuff apart as much as putting it together. For most people a 13 oz hammer with more of a curve to the claw is much preferred. If you use one all day you'll really know the difference between 13 and 16 oz. at the end of the day.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used a 16oz Estwing when I was framing, but I wanted a disproportionately large right arm...just kidding.

Sometimes it is nice to have a heavier hammer though. Nailing lam beams together comes to mind.

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's the reason the Lord invented nail guns and air compressors. That's what I use now.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is one place where the Chinese make a very good product.Even in '71 when I started my apprenticeship,hammers were of hit and miss quality,and mostly miss.Driving spikes with a bad hangover is great test of a hammer's balance.I liked balance the Plumbs ,but they were too soft.And they were only half the quality of my dad's old Stanley.A well made hammer also can hook on to a sewing pin and pull it.I remember paying over $20 and when I was getting paid only $3 an hour,those hammers were half the quality of these cheap chinese.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I used to carry only Vaughn hammers , my favorite was a 20oz smooth head, I did not pull nails with them as it was not overly difficult to break handles. Thats what a Wonder bar was for. i have seen Vaught at True Value just recently but do not know if they too have sold out to the chinese.

Bullwnkl.

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Go to the flea market and find ya a bluegrass......I bet it'll be american made

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

227 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 3dtestify, 325wsm1, 280ACKIMP, 007FJ, 18 invisible), 10,341 guests, and 1,079 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,338
Posts18,546,319
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.