-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why is it that every thread about how reliable 1911s are turns into a thread about 1911 guys bashing Glocks so quickly?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
An M&P is also very reliable if properly tuned.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tuning, like loading?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Tuning, like loading?

You have to remove it from the box as well.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
well, that's how this conversations start. Ours started at with a bunch of us guys out to dinner at restaurant. One guys ask what's a good cheap 1911, like $500 or under range to be used as self-defense.

I'd recommend, moving the budget up a little for 1911 that you're going to depend your life.

Glock fan sitting next to me, states Glocks are more reliable. Guy two seats down said, he bought 45acp highpoint for $206 out the door at the gunshow we just came from. He's thought was why spend twice as much to get a $500 glock when his gun is just as good. The glock guys thinks why spend twice as much to get a 1911 when his glock is just as good at half the price.

See how things quickly spiral out of control?

Then of course, you got the complaint that 1911's are heavy and limited capacity.

Then that today's 9mm are just as good as a 45acp so why not get the higher capacity, etc.

The poor guy who asked the original question regarding 1911's, now got his head spinning with glocks, xd's, m&P, shields. Added to change caliber from 45acp to 9mm or possible 40s&w as best of both, lol! He was total confused by time he left.

I like 1911's. I want to stick with them but want to know what their "weakness" are so as to be an informed end-user. That goes for every platform/style of gun one uses, be it a glock, etc.

I also planned to reload/handload for my 1911. There's something about a 1911 when you pick one up and I like them. Are they perfect and without weakness or limitations, I don't think so but not many things are.

So far, the ligitmate complaints are to check extractor and firing pin stop and 1911's seem sensitive to magazines.

So I'm looking more to be educated regarding the intricacies and usage of the 1911's. I don't mind spending the time learning this but need to know where and what to look for.

I did buy two books on 1911 to read as well so I think I'm fairly serious about whating to learn the 1911. They're are some supercrak guys here on the 'campfire who are a wealth of information on 1911.

I will also look for a good 1911 pistol smith here in Indianpolis as well.

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I see the 1911 the same as I do the Garand. Lots of fun, served our country well, and the last choice for a work gun in 2015.

Travis

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by deflave
An M&P is also very reliable if properly tuned.

Travis

laugh laugh

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I have been asked about cheap and good too Leo, I'm no pistolero either, my only reply to all of those guys has been buy as much as you can possibly stand to spend, save if you have too.

What is your life [wife and kids] worth?, I have ask them.

Trump Won!
leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Travis,

Can you elaborate as to why you think the 1911 is obsolete as a work gun?

Leo

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The weaknesses of the 1911 are generally the same as the weaknesses of the Glock or the M&P or the XD: the person running it.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd start with the 8 round capacity.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by deflave
Tuning, like loading?

You have to remove it from the box as well.

Travis

SIGs are like that too.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by gunner500

I have often said the same thing. When one really thinks about this the answer will be Glock.

Glock is the gold standard in reliability. You can spend $5,000 on a 1911 and it MIGHT be as reliable as Glock but I highly doubt it. If it absolutely has to go bang every time you touch the trigger nothing else compares with a $500 Glock. Nothing.

It's a shame to. I really like the 1911.

Dink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had a handful of 1911s - some good and some bad - and just picked up an Ed Brown a few weeks ago. I have a Wilson Combat that has been excellent as well. I appreciate the 1911 and what it has done and what it represents. I enjoy the heck out of mine.

That said...

There are so many other better options available now. There are quite a few makers (not just glock) making terrific pistols that will be more reliable and require less maintenance while holding twice as many rounds and weighing much less.

So, to answer your question, the 1911's weaknesses, IMO:

-mag capacity
-weight
-ammo sensitivity (many choke on hp stuff)
-maintenance requirements due to precision steel fitting

I'd venture to say that most of the old farts on this board are almost as old as the 1911, so they have a particular affinity towards them, but if i know I'm going to be in a situation that I'm going to need a handgun, my Wilson and Ed Brown will stay home. I'm reaching for a high cap polymer wonder.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The capacity on the 1911 isn't a big issue with me but could be considered a weakness by some.

Consider if you knew you had to use one of them, we'll narrow it down to 45acp only, the G21 and a 1911,...and it was coming straight out of the box. No break-in period, no getting to try ammo beforehand, only the mags that came with it, etc... I really have no doubts about the G21 being good to go.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd start with the 8 round capacity.

Then go with 26+1.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by DINK
Originally Posted by gunner500

I have often said the same thing. When one really thinks about this the answer will be Glock.

Glock is the gold standard in reliability. You can spend $5,000 on a 1911 and it MIGHT be as reliable as Glock but I highly doubt it. If it absolutely has to go bang every time you touch the trigger nothing else compares with a $500 Glock. Nothing.

It's a shame to. I really like the 1911.

Dink

BS, one does not need to spend anywhere near 5 grand to get a perfecto functioning 1911.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Operator

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by leomort
Travis,

Can you elaborate as to why you think the 1911 is obsolete as a work gun?

Leo

Pain in the ass to instruct/teach compared to most modern duty-weapons. If you want me to teach 15 people that have never fired a pistol in their life, please, please, please don't give them a 1911.

Put those same 15 shooters on line with a 1911 and have them do drills from the 7-25. Then those same 15 shooters do the same drills with a Glock/M&P/XD. Watch how many alibi shooters you have in each group.

8 rounds? I'd like more please.

Train armorers? Oh joy. Now my department needs a fugging witch doctor and Kevin Gibson in order to keep these POS operating.

Travis

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DINK
If it absolutely has to go bang every time you touch the trigger nothing else compares with a $500 Glock. Nothing.

Apparently the Glock fever swamp hasn't run out of Kool-Aid.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

659 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 66 invisible), 3,334 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,373
Posts18,469,350
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.