Hop To
Page 10 of 17 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 16 17
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
You're pretty much on the mark. Once they get any size on them, about the only natural enemy they have is an alligator.

And a 140gr chunk of copper and lead. grin

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by roundoak
Just thinking out loud here. I don't recall any gunwriters calling the .270 Winchester -"Magnficient", just saying. wink

Heck, I recall a gun writer calling the .270 Winchester much less than magnificent, adequate for small deer but marginal for big deer. I think that story got him promoted. He's an editor now.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by RevMike
You're pretty much on the mark. Once they get any size on them, about the only natural enemy they have is an alligator.

And a 140gr chunk of copper and lead. grin
Using a 140 gr bullet is gonna get you in trouble with you-know-who!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, gotta shoot175's in the 7x57.

What about .270's bouncing off stuff... shocked

Rev, you eat boars? We eat sows, donate boars to the coyotes.

One of our deer camp guys put a trail camera at the bone yard where we drag big ole boars, dump deer and hog guts. It wasn't coyotes that ate those carcasses, it was a bunch of hogs. A hog will eat just about anything, almost as bad as a possum.

DF

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Using a 140 gr bullet is gonna get you in trouble with you-know-who!

You mean the guy who uses 150s?

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
It would appear that my reputation is tarnished....

What can I say? Bell came to me in a dream one night and said it was OK to use 150 NBTs on deer.....

Corbett did the same, but only so long as the deer were chital....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
7x57 for hunting Big Game starts and ends with the 160 to 162 gr bullet. The lighter weight ones are good for Prairie Dog hunting

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Rev, you eat boars? We eat sows, donate boars to the coyotes.

DF

Pigs are definitely opportunists: they'll eat just about anything they come across. But yes, we'll eat boars as well, unless they're really, really big. I know there's been a lot of debate about that, but I've found two primary things that influence the taste (aside from what they've been eating): whether or not they've been washed down before cleaning (a lot of times they wallow in their own filth), and whether or not they've been stressed before killing (e.g., run by dogs or something like that). So far, I've not been able to tell the difference in taste between a young sow and an older boar when they've been ambushed under a feeder and washed before butchering. Now granted, I'm not talking about some grizzled old campaigner that's been fighting for years; but something up to 150 pounds or so I'm not terribly afraid of.

As I said, I know there's been debate about it. The little fellow I killed last night weighted 58 pounds on the hoof. He had no smell at all when we cleaned him. As I said to Elk, he'll cook up fine.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ingwe
It would appear that my reputation is tarnished....

What can I say? Bell came to me in a dream one night and said it was OK to use 150 NBTs on deer.....

Corbett did the same, but only so long as the deer were chital....

Wait a minute: just a few days ago you blamed it on Mule Deer. Gotta keep your stories straight.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
My stories are straight...

I blamed Mule Deer for the 160 gr TSX....

The Poobah does not err in such a way....

P.S. Corbett said to say "Hi" grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Tell him "hi" back, next time you talk with him.

Buy a better brand of booze and those dreams will go away....

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
What could be better than talking to Corbett or Bell?

I mean besides the obvious debauchery of cavorting with young women....

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
What was I thinking??

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
At my age, Id much rather talk to Corbett....pass the cheap stuff! grin

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
At your age, you might not have any other option. grin

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You HAD to go there, didn't you?

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Misery loves company, I'm afraid.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The truth hurts..... cry

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Yep... cry cry

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Back to more pleasant tops. I'll be hunting Chital in about three weeks! grin

Only I wont be using the 7x57...taking a .243...( So I can shoot NBTs in it without ridicule...)

Page 10 of 17 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

149 members (3333vl, 2UP, 1eyedmule, 44mc, 308ld, 35, 12 invisible), 1,536 guests, and 900 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,772
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.