Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 17 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 16 17
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by RevMike
I might have to load some up at about 2500 fps. I expect that'll work.

Ingwe, I heard there is a new 150 grain bullet for the .243. It's yellow and made by Dixon Ticonderoga. Think that's what Dober was talking about?

It would be such a shame to see a Reverend Smoking a Turd in Hell....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Naw,I'll show him the way out. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
There is no way out for you....

You sealed your fate by shooting a .270...which is gay..

You know what the christians say happens to gays..... whistle

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
I'm always happy. grin

Besides,I've been busy down here making escape routes. whistle

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You will need them..... grin

IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Yup. whistle

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been trying to avoid looking at the Ruger #1 on Gunbroker, in 7x57...It might be too tempting smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
OK, I have a spring bear tag in NE Wa. I have loaded 160 gr X Triple shock's to the Barnes I-4831 book max., they shoot well enough. Will the things actually expand @ 2400 through the ribs? I have used the 139 Hornady SPFB on several and most game animals simply die on the spot. BTW Rev. have you purchased that Bombay Bowler for your wife yet?. I can't believe that she actually mows the lawn faithfully for someone that would converse with anybody that has a leopard (nasty brute) thong as his/her Avitar. Sorry ING, I'm on the way to Augusta Tues. to shoot the gopher/badger/rabbit/coyote/skunk/ect. We'll be at the Lazy B slummin' incognito. Muddy

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
She's a patient woman, Muddy.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Hey Rev,have you seen my new varmint rifle?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Gonna put a Leupold 3x on it.Yesterday the box 300 gr Swift A-Frame bullets I ordered came in. Just waiting on some ammo I ordered to arrive,then I can get loading.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The download for $2 works. Even I could do it. Might resurrect that special 7x57 out of "the closet".

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
MD or others, were the later versions of Ruger #1's (7x57) produced with shorter throats? Is the red pad vs. black pad difference an indicator as to throat length?

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, the later Ruger 7x57's did have shorter throats. Black pad is at least an indicator. I had both a 77 Mark II and a black-pad No. 1A that had considerably shorter throats than earlier Ruger 7x57's.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
For those that read these threads and have no personal experience with this cartridge, it must be tough to look up the ballistics and wonder what the fuss is all about, as there are several cartridges, modern and older, that replicate or exceed the 7x57 performance.

There is a cache of supporters who love "Tradition" which is a manly way of saying "Romance". These guys quote Bell and Corbet and go into a lather at a "real" .275 Rigby rifle which most have never seen or held.

There is another group that likes underdog, out of favor, meaning limited new rifles, exclusivity and all that good stuff and there is a 3rd group who recognizes value and which really opens the door to self corruption.

These guys, me included can convince themselves anything and justify their choice because............

"Because" is a good reason and correction trails can lead to tangible opinion. Recoil tolerance or determining what you will now accept is legitimate. Watching the cartridge work in the field is a justifiable corruption, probably the most noble.

And there is the learning, the understanding of what you can load in components and achieve "balance". Some cartridges, particularly magnums, need prescription loads to ensure the bullet, powder, velocity, impact velocity combination, works effectively.

We use the word "efficiency", which means nothing more than and interpretation, we use the word "practical" which is a consolidation of fabricated opinion such as matching a cartridge OAL to an action length and we also have "realization" when all the contributing factors "balance" in meeting goals, needs, limitations, preferences, enhanced pleasure of use and pride of ownership.

This is the 7x57 to me. It works. It is more pleasant to shoot than larger rounds. I drives bullets of decent caliber and weight to velocities that cover the common needs relating to trajectory. It can be built in a light rifle platform, a full blown custom platform and a traditional, meaning British Stalking rifle platform, that is aesthetically pleasing and engenders pride of ownership.

The 7x57 says, "I don't need to prove a thing because I already have". It is like driving a new Dodge Ram on its first road trip if you are inexperienced, it is like the recalling the curves of a past love that still sparkles in your memory.

Most of my 7x57's had also had 7mm Mauser stamped on the barrel and one 20 year companion simply said .275 Rigby. All were enough for all I asked of them.

John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Great piece, John. Enjoyed reading it.

I was following you pretty close until you got to the Dodge Ram part... shocked

I've been told, never mess with a Dodge owner, he's already mad... grin

A good bud drives a Dodge Ram. I asked him about it and his emphatic reply, "It's a RAM." He didn't have to conviction to say "Dodge".

Just thought I'd throw that in... laugh

DF

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have owned several and my latest is the Longhorn which is top shelf in every respect. I enjoy every mile.
John

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
I have owned several and my latest is the Longhorn which is top shelf in every respect. I enjoy every mile.
John

Good to hear from a happy Ram owner, and one that's not sensitive about his truck... laugh

Maybe they're sending the good ones down under... grin

DF

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Nope. US of A.
I bought American consciously when I immigrated.

Drove Landcruisers in Oz.
John

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Well, in that case, welcome to Dodge country... laugh

And welcome to the USA.

DF

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ingwe
It would be such a shame to see a Reverend Smoking a Turd in Hell....

I expect there'll be more than a few of us.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Page 12 of 17 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

651 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 1badf350, 007FJ, 1936M71, 65 invisible), 3,162 guests, and 1,350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,263
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.