Print Thread
Hop To
D
denton Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I ran across some interesting info yesterday, background information on the development of the M855. Seems like it is worth sharing:

slide show, see slide 10

2012 article by the same NATO official

In both, the author says, with respect to the development of the SS109/M855: There was no requirement to penetrate body armor.

Then there is the case of P.O. Ackley in the 1940s, who showed that a regular factory load lead core 220 Swift bullet will penetrate a 1/2" thick armor plate from the front of a half-track.

And finally, the video that shows that M855 will not penetrate AR500 steel body armor, Brinnell Hardness 500. Surprisingly, 55 grain lead core bullets, probably moving faster than the 62 grain M855, will penetrate. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMYkEMhPsO8

It's blindingly obvious that M855 does not present any extraordinary hazard vs. common rifle cartridges.

So, yeah, I'm preaching to the choir, but it seemed worth passing along.

Be not weary in well doing.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The greatest "takeaways" I got from that article are, first, SHOT PLACEMENT is the most important factor in lethality (go figure! grin) and, second, TRAINING is more important than caliber selection!

Whoda thunk it? laugh

Thanks for sharing that!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Don't 'kornfuse' the AH with factual information!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
ATF director B. Todd Jones admitted to a Senate committee that all types of 223 ammo represent a danger to law enforcement due to it being able to penetrate common police body armor.

"Any 5.56 round” is “a challenge for officer safety"

And he flat out asked them for help in expanding the 1986 law that defines AP so that more types of ammo can be banned.

Their goal is simply to ban what they can now, whether it makes anybody in the world safer or not. Because what they don't ban today, they want to ban tomorrow.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Calhoun
ATF director B. Todd Jones admitted to a Senate committee that all types of 223 ammo represent a danger to law enforcement due to it being able to penetrate common police body armor.

"Any 5.56 round” is “a challenge for officer safety"

And he flat out asked them for help in expanding the 1986 law that defines AP so that more types of ammo can be banned.

Their goal is simply to ban what they can now, whether it makes anybody in the world safer or not. Because what they don't ban today, they want to ban tomorrow.
EXACTLY!!!

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Good idea not to give the Army a round that penetrates their own armour.

I've got one word for the ATF ...
KRINK!

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by denton
I ran across some interesting info yesterday, background information on the development of the M855. Seems like it is worth sharing:

slide show, see slide 10

In both, the author says, with respect to the development of the SS109/M855: There was no requirement to penetrate body armor.

Then there is the case of P.O. Ackley in the 1940s, who showed that a regular factory load lead core 220 Swift bullet will penetrate a 1/2" thick armor plate from the front of a half-track.

And finally, the video that shows that M855 will not penetrate AR500 steel body armor, Brinnell Hardness 500. Surprisingly, 55 grain lead core bullets, probably moving faster than the 62 grain M855, will penetrate. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMYkEMhPsO8

It's blindingly obvious that M855 does not present any extraordinary hazard vs. common rifle cartridges.

And with the reduced velocity out of a pistol barrel, they penetrate even less. In fact the U.S. military has gone AWAY from the M855 for the M4 carbines because the M193s penetrate better out of the short barrels.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by bearbacker

slide show, see slide 10

And with the reduced velocity out of a pistol barrel, they penetrate even less. In fact the U.S. military has gone AWAY from the M855 for the M4 carbines because the M193s penetrate better out of the short barrels.

I believe they are transitioning to M855A1 with a copper body and hardened steel tip. Penetrates way better and supposedly wounds more.

And it's "green".

http://www.americanrifleman.org/art...e-army-s-m855a1-standard-ball-cartridge/

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

slide show, see slide 10

Very interesting presentation and article. Lessons for all.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
This past Sunday I chronographed some LC 855 and some XM193F (Federal) from a Sig with a 20" barrel and got 3230 fps for the "green tip" and 3350 fps for the XM193.

What bothers me is, what are they going to do when that almost all hunting rounds will blow through it too? Take a guess!!!

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B3

D
denton Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
what are they going to do when that almost all hunting rounds will blow through it too?

They are going to have a hissy fit, and I am going to watch and enjoy it.

Since Heller, ammunition is as protected as firearms. The government must have an overriding interest (lots of police killed by M855) and the legal solution must be narrowly tailored. None of what's on the table meets either condition.

They could make a case for a specific type of ammunition if they could show that it poses a special hazard to society. So the ban on tungsten core armor piercing ammunition is probably constitutional and proper.

But M855 poses no special hazard and cannot be singled out. Neither can they ban all rifle ammunition. The SCOTUS justices would roll their eyes, say "not this $hit again" and strike down the ban.

If M855 is like all other rifle ammunition in common use, the game may go on for a while but the winner is already decided.

Last edited by denton; 03/17/15.

Be not weary in well doing.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (160user, 1badf350, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1minute, 65 invisible), 2,542 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,190
Posts18,503,409
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.