Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
A cpl on a 150-600 requires removing the hood to rotate.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I tried some aerial images (snow geese) the other day with Cookie's 500 Canon. Spot metering and focus worked great as long as subjects were above the horizon. With anything in the background, however, focus and metering became a crap shoot, especially when rapidly panning to follow the action. Pretty much dumped all of those.

On filters and the larger lenses: We tried filters initially, mostly with concerns on protecting the objective with UV's and Skylights. We round filed about 3-days worth of images (of course they were the best ever) and the filters as well. There was noticeable image degradation that took us some time to trouble shoot. Almost like shooting on a slightly hazy day.

If at all possible, I'd suggest visiting a store where one could give them a try before purchasing. Short of that, try to assure one has a return/refund option if he does an untested buy. Pick out some distant objects that really tests it's abilities like signs or objects with fine intricate details and do the shots with and without filters.

Now, we mostly rely on hoods for protection, and knock on wood, have not had any issues yet.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/18/15.

1Minute
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Thanks for the replies. I'm kinda hard on stuff. I've mainly purchased the filters as protection. I shattered the HGX UV filter on my 100-400 Canon EF during one excursion, but did not damage the camera lens surface.

I'm still shooting with a Canon T2i body. Any problem with compatibility of that cropped sensor and the 150-600?

Best,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 03/17/15.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
every pic I have taken is through the uv filter (vivitar)

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wish we had saved our filter/no filter test images. Differences were subtle, but visible. That was an expensive lesson, as I covered all of Cookie's lenses up through her 100-400.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I figure if I ever get to where I can make a buck with my lens, I will filter it properly or go without, case by case. ....till then I have to do what I can to save it.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Take some images without the filter, you might be surprised. I shot with one for a long time but I dont bother now, if you are mindful of where your lens is you shouldnt have to worry about it. In most cases I do most of my hiking/climbing with gear protected in my pack, never have damaged/dropped a lens and I operate almost exclusively on steep slopes.

You might like what you see without the filter.

Ahh, nice marmot
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have a new pack coming on monday. until I can feel warm and fuzzy it will wear the filter. I currently have my outfit living in a cooler because it is a fuzz too big for my pelican case.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Fishkilla
In most cases I do most of my hiking/climbing with gear protected in my pack, never have damaged/dropped a lens and I operate almost exclusively on steep slopes.

You might like what you see without the filter.

I wish I could say that...

I sorta made my own pac/internal case for my stuff... the stuff out there made for "photographers" really isn't suited for what I do and where I go... never mind it's WAY overpriced... so I bought a backpackers pack and made and built some mods...

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I just opened up a lowepro photo trekker 2 that I bought on ebay today. I can fit my 150-600 on the body WITH the hood on. It is typical lowepro quality and I paid 45.00 for it. It will make a nice outfit.

My previous outfit was a modified cooler that I used which would hold the 150-600 on the body but flipping the hood.....but it was less protection than I wanted.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Good to know! Thanks, they do make some great bags.

Great photography is not about being in the right place at the right time, it is about putting yourself in the right place at the right time.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The thing about "photography" packs is that they make them for cameras not for hikers.... With the amount of weight I carry and the places I go there is not much in the way of comfort or support that would warrant an all day hard hike into Sheep and Goat country.
I took a Gregory Balatoro 75, made an internal closed cell foam protector that carries the 610 and battery grip connected to my 500mm then there is room for all the cleaning stuff, cards, extra batteries, the 70-200, D800, 24-70mm, a 3 liter camelbak, food for the day... etc. IF I wear the D800 and the 24-70 on the cotton carrier and open up the Balatoro I can pack enough gear for a 2-3 day excursion in and on it. IF you would to attempt to purchase a photo pack that can do this.. well.. ya can't. The only thing that come close is Naneu.. but its way pricey... but cannot accomodate a serious amount of gear.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's about the truth. If one wants quality and durability, he about has to build things himself now days. Walmart is simply not going to carry such.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I found that soft sided coolers can be found for very little money and they are close to the right sizes and as a benefit, waterproof"ish".

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (16penny, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 22250rem, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 61 invisible), 2,550 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,574
Posts18,491,978
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.