Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
E
Well,went to the gunstore in El Paso and they had no Swaroviski's,one Zeiss Terra (2x-7x) and some Leopold 3x-9x,3.5x-10x and a 4.5x-14x. They are expecting some Steiner's and more Zeiss in,sometime. Also had a couple Minox 2x-10x that were pretty darn good to look through.

What they had was a Winchester M70 in .375 H&H,so guess what I spent my time looking at. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
elk..,

Last sunset i got both scopes out and did a side by side with my older conquest and the new terra. MAYBE,just maybe, the conquest was a tiny bit sharper. It wasn't a blind test so I may have been expecting the result. If there was a difference it wasnt much.

Thats just my unscientific observation. Not saying anyonee's wrong. But, will i buy another Terra? Yup.

O

Too old to suffer fools
E
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
E
Well,here's what's happening now. I went to look at scopes but ended up putting a Winchester M70 .375 H&H Classic Stainless on lay-away.

Go figure.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
elkhunternm-

That SO reminds me of myself...

OUTCAST-Did you hand-hold the scopes,have them mounted on rifles, sandbagged or on what I call a dummy gun (wooden stock-like contraption w/ rings)? I only ask because there are so many variables that can come into play.

E
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
E
Thank goodness I'm not the only one! laugh

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
The 3-9x Terra I've used had shietty eye-relief, maybe 3" at 9x. Would be perfect for a 22lr.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Hence my concern about 300 mag use.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They definitely have short ER IMO.

I have owned bunches of Weaver Classics that also exhibit same short ER. However, IMO, the Weavers have just as good of glass, and cost half as much. They are only welcome atop certain rifles.......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a Conquest 3x9x50 with the rapid z 600 reticule mounted in Burris signature rings on my Cooper in 25-06. Gongs from 200 to 700 were just plain easy to hit. Several 3-3.5" three shot groups at seven hundred. After I figured out which line to use, I shot a couple of five shot groups at a thousand yards that measured just under 7".

Two days later I went to a friends place and could not hit the 100yd gong or any other out to six hundred. Sent it to Ziess and the scope, even though is almost new, can not be repaired. I don't like their rz600 reticule in the Terra so tomorrow I will be haggling with them over what they will replace it with.

O, I had fired about three hundred rounds with that rifle and scope combo. Wish me luck with Ziess.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
They will give you a comparable hd5

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Well,here's what's happening now. I went to look at scopes but ended up putting a Winchester M70 .375 H&H Classic Stainless on lay-away.

Go figure.

Scopes don't go BANG! You think right. wink laugh

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Guys,

I have narrowed my search down to two scopes for my 300WM. Zeiss Terra and Nikon Monarch. All of this talk about the lower quality of the Terra has me wondering if the Monarch is the way to go? I have looked thru both and the Terra is brighter to my eye but the eye relief could be a big deal as my rifle is only 7.75lbs with the scope that's on it now. What are your thoughts on these two scopes?

Thanks for your help,

Elk Country

"I refuse to waste my common sense on those who have been educated beyond their intelligence"

All you need to know about Democrats is they call American citizens "Deplorables" and illegal immigrants "Dreamers"!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have several Zeiss Terra3 3-9X42 With the Z6 reticle. Conquest has nicer glass, however on the rifles I have Terras on I prefer the Terra because it is lighter and more compact. Great scope for s mountain rifle IMO.I also like the simplicity of the long range reticle. I would not get one of these scopes for a 300 win mag due to the eye relief. The eye relief is more than enouph for 270 win or smaller IMO.

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Got excited when I saw the first 2-7X Terra on the local gun shop counter. They looked trim and compact and I thought it would be perfect for a levergun. I was disappointed when I picked it up and looked through it. The eye relief was not great and it had the "tunnel" effect as well. It was also heavier than I liked. For the money I will stick with the Leupold VX2 2-7x33.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by elkcountry
Guys,

I have narrowed my search down to two scopes for my 300WM. Zeiss Terra and Nikon Monarch. All of this talk about the lower quality of the Terra has me wondering if the Monarch is the way to go? I have looked thru both and the Terra is brighter to my eye but the eye relief could be a big deal as my rifle is only 7.75lbs with the scope that's on it now. What are your thoughts on these two scopes?

Thanks for your help,
Elk Country

I have both but haven't had the Terras long. I have never had an issue with a Nikon but don't like the BDC reticle at all. Its thick and looks okay at first but at distance it covers the target. The Zeiss z600 I do like, windage and drop all in easy hashmarks. I have many scopes in this range and say at this point the Zeiss z600 is my favorite reticle. Both scopes have a warranty and hold their value.

JMO,
Zac

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Bob..,

Handheld conquest. Terra was mounted

O

Too old to suffer fools
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by elkcountry
Guys,

Thanks for your help,

Elk Country

Nikon scopes never did much for me. Seems to me that the leupy 2.5-8 would be an excellent choice.

"Any one who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
- Henry Ford
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Go figure.

Lol..... one of the only good things about being left handed for me.

"Any one who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
- Henry Ford
E
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
E
Whitedogone,at the store where I bought the .375,there is a left-hand Dakota M 76 in .338 win mag,with a 1.75x-6x Leupold.

Has anyone tried the Zeiss Terra line of bino's?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Whitedogone,at the store where I bought the .375,there is a left-hand Dakota M 76 in .338 win mag,with a 1.75x-6x Leupold.

Has anyone tried the Zeiss Terra line of bino's?

Sounds like a well stocked store. I have a Carl Gustaf .338wm with the VX3 2.5-8 on top. It is a solid/accurate rifle and I have no complaints with the VX3 for the money spent.

- Henry Ford
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

252 members (204guy, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 17CalFan, 29 invisible), 2,057 guests, and 1,065 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,746
Posts18,495,188
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.