Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BigNate
Maybe they should start building desalination facilities all along that beautiful coast! Start with Malibu!

Well, THAT should have been started on a DECADE ago.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
During the last water crisis in CA when I visited my dad in San FRancisco, a popular phrase was, "If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush down." I wonder, does that apply to Brown the guv as well? whistle
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Golf course: A waste of a perfectly good rifle range.

Jim

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
[bleep] Hollyweed and golfcarts they
rode in on.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by BigNate
Maybe they should start building desalination facilities all along that beautiful coast! Start with Malibu!

Well, THAT should have been started on a DECADE ago.

A DECADE?!?!?!?

Shee-it, Greg, I remember reading an article in Popular Science in 1967 about the practicality of desalination plants for SoCal...

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm sure that if given permission, they could pull a set of plans out of the drawer to pipe the entire Columbia river down there.

1Minute
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 1minute
I'm sure that if given permission, they could pull a set of plans out of the drawer to pipe the entire Columbia river down there.

They had plans all done up to drain the entire Columbia around twenty years ago.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I know here where I live in Colorado, they put in watering restrictions...golf courses were exempt because "they generate revenue."

Water is slim all across the west.

B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Be careful what you wish for west/mid west guys. If Cali shrivels up, the populace has to go somewhere!!!! Ya'll are a lot closer to that "state" than I am. smile

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Bet they're still stealing water from the Central Valley farmers and instead letting it run straight into the ocean to save the Delta Smelt.

Orchards and farms are broke so they can't pay taxes.
Farmworkers are on unemployment.
Food prices are up.
Water supplies are down.
But we got this cool little baitfish.

Sounds like natural selection.

The issue is never the issue. The issue is always the revolution.

David Horowitz, Saul Alinsky and every woman I've ever argued with.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

A DECADE?!?!?!?

Shee-it, Greg, I remember reading an article in Popular Science in 1967 about the practicality of desalination plants for SoCal...

There was a fellow Named Merle Jenson, built and designed desalination plants all over the world.
Spoke frequently on the University lecture circuit in the 1970s, and IIRC was tenured at University of Arizona.
He was raising 14 different varieties of hell about what lay ahead for the LA basin way back than.

Things will be alright though, that dipchit governor "Moon Beam" is going to ride to the rescue later this AM, and with one stroke of his wand, and a pinch of his magic fairy dust, make it all better.

....be interesting to see what new "regulations" he pulls out of his rectal orfice.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Desalination plants require lots of energy which normally wouldn't be a problem since California is floating on oil deposits both on and offshore. But we're talking Californians here and oil based energy causes imminanticeagegloblwarmingclimatechangeclimatedisruption.

Enjoy the desert morons.

The issue is never the issue. The issue is always the revolution.

David Horowitz, Saul Alinsky and every woman I've ever argued with.
G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Just to be realistic, I don't expect any meaningful solutions to the problem this time around...

Link

and nothing in recent legislation will solve a thing.

But when 50 or 60 times as much can be spent on a bullet train than water supply... what's to be said!

Phil

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Scott F
Originally Posted by 1minute

They had plans all done up to drain the entire Columbia around twenty years ago.

Cal & Oregon were in talks way back in the 1960's to divert SOME NOT ALL of the Columbia water.

There's even been proposals to pipe water from Alaska.

Not that it will happen, but it can be done in a way with minimal disruption of flow from the Columbia. I doubt the outflow to the ocean would result in no more than a inch or two of depth loss.

Here's a short article dated 2008
http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/news/1218263105159940.xml&coll=7

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You fellers like to eat?

Q: Which are the top 10 agricultural producing States?

A: In 2013, the top 10 agricultural producing States, in terms of cash receipts were (in descending order):

California,
Iowa,
Nebraska,
Minnesota,
Texas,
Illinois,
Kansas,
North Carolina,
Wisconsin,
and Indiana.
These and related statistics can be found in ERS's Farm Income and Wealth Statistics.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bigfoot
Bet they're still stealing water from the Central Valley farmers and instead letting it run straight into the ocean to save the Delta Smelt.

Orchards and farms are broke so they can't pay taxes.
Farmworkers are on unemployment.
Food prices are up.
Water supplies are down.

I hate to burst your Stewart Resnick sponsored bubble, but the Delta Smelt are so close to extinction, that pumping plants are not currently effected. From: http://californiawaterblog.com/2015/03/18/prepare-for-extinction-of-delta-smelt/

Intensive Kodiak trawl surveys near the state and federal water projects (Jersey Point) in 2014 caught so few fish that the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service placed no restrictions on Delta pumping that year.

Expect no pumping restrictions this year either, as their numbers are so low, that "the man" in CA fisheries science is calling them functionally extinct.

If you're skeptical of the source I linked, google up some others. They'll all corroborate.

G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Big difference between California's 46.4 Billion and Idaho's 9.6 Billion.

But I'd agree, that some of California's farm production should be pushed back to other states, and allow California land to go back to desert....

Phil

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

The best thing they could do to save the delta smelt, and salmon smolt would be to take all size restrictions and no bag limit on Striped Bass. Probably help the Sturgeon population too!

Striped Bass were introduced in the 1880's

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
"Whisky is for drinking
Water is for fight'n over!

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DesertSandman

The best thing they could do to save the delta smelt, and salmon smolt would be to take all size restrictions and no bag limit on Striped Bass. Probably help the Sturgeon population too!

Striped Bass were introduced in the 1880's

Yep, for 125 years, the Smelt were barely hanging on. But now with those huge Striper pops, they're getting hammered. Only, Striper numbers are way down. And Salmon numbers are way down. And Steelhead numbers are way down. And Sturgeon numbers are way down...

So, you know what it must be? It's got to be them dang Largemouth/Smallmouth/American Shad/Bluegill/Green Sunfish/Crappie....

Couldn't be the drought, and its effect on an oversubscribed watershed...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1337Fungi, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 222Sako, 1badf350, 21, 49 invisible), 2,173 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,764
Posts18,476,696
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.