Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by carp
The tragedy here is D1 schools have been dropping wrestling and other "small sports" for the major sports. This has limited opportunities for outstanding High School wrestlers to go on and wrestle. My youngest was on the cadet state Freestyle and Greco team ten years ago, was a pretty good High School kid and placed at state, walked on a good SW Colorado college team. There were no opportunities here in Washington. Training is hard to come by with no college levels to go to. Thanks to the Midwest and East for their continuing support of wrestling, for there's not much in the West or South. It was good to finally see some coverage by ESPN, that's not always been the case.
'

This is absolutely true. Wrestlers are average guys physically (not tall, not large, not exceptionally fast or great leapers like bballers or footballers). But because of Title IX and because wrestling doesn't attract large crowds like Bball or football, lots and lots of D1 schools have cut the sport. This translates into way fewer scholarships for average white guys from middle income homes---wrestlers, who are also usually very good students (the discipline of the sport translates into academic success). So, its not wrestling that has perverted collegiate academics by over-emphasizing sports, its Bball and Football. The small college sportw (wrestling, lacrosse, etc.) are really what college sports are supposed to be about. Because guys in these sports are never gonna make money as pros, then academic excellence is still important to them, even as they compete athletically.

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
GB1

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Nailed it Rob, the Athletic Directors have the control to maintain the smaller sports if they show the courage and will to do so. It does not need to be either or for the sports. The University of Oregon dropped wrestling about 5 years ago, the wrestling room became the private juice bar for the football team, they do not get any of my alumni dollars. And I loved watching the tourney last few days on the tube, brought back the memories traveling to sweaty gyms all over the country in support of wrestling. stevek

Leave the Field Content
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 55 invisible), 2,481 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,408
Posts18,470,229
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.