Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
A good one? Seems as though I've heard they aren't as good an engine as the old 7.3.

Looking to re-pickup soon. Being driving a Dodge with a Cummins the past 10 years and it's time to move on. Last Ford I owned was a '97 with that 7.3 and it agreed with me most of the time. Would like to hear about this 6.7.

Black Cows Matter!

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Its been a pretty good motor I'd say. Lots of them out here and they seem to be pretty reliable. Definitely lots of power compared to the 7.3. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one, if I needed a diesel.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've had both - and this new 6.7 has been stellar to date.. Only have a bit over 47K on it ('11 F-350 DRW CC) so far but absolutely NO complaints..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You're going to find that they all do something better than the other. I work in a climate that sees -25f for months on end and the 7.3 was the last reliable for the cold diesel. We moved away from the Ford diesel because of the headaches due to the cold. You'll see it with all of them, emissions on a diesel and cold weather mean finicky. If you can keep to warmer weather (10 above or so) you have nothing to worry about. They all start good now in the cold. They all get similar mileage. It's really coming down to which will be most cost effective to own. Pulling the cab on a Ford makes the Dodge and Chevy more appealing to me, but I do my own work.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
its been a great engine for ford. I had a 2011 model and it was problem free, ok I did have an EGT sensor go bad. I don't think there have been wide spread major problems.

IC B2

35 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a 2011 F350 6.7, bought as a leftover in Jan.2012.
I have no complaints.
It pulls my 5th wheel Toy Hauler no problem.
Gets 12 MPG towing, 17 MPG mixed, 22+ MPG strictly highway driving.
Do yourself a favor and test drive one.
You`ll be impressed, I know I was

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a 2012 and it's been outstanding.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
2012 here. I have owned all of the Power Strokes, and this one is the best.
You'll never see the simplicity of the 7.3 again, due to federally mandated regulation.
These newer engines are all terrifically complicated machines. It's a wonder to me that they can be near as reliable as they are.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I just keep fixing my 7.3

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys, thought I might hear some bad vibes on this engine also.

Black Cows Matter!
IC B3

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have the 2015 and its a beast! There were some issues with cracked valves early on but it had to do with the glow plugs and that was fixed a long time ago. I would get a 2015 to take advantage of the updated engine. The second gen engine is lighter, and a lot stronger with a larger turbo, better injectors and larger crankshaft bearings to boot. I think the super duty needs a facelift but I also think it currently has the best motor on the market all around. Flame away Cummins lovers!

[Linked Image]
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by RUMlover
I have the 2015 and its a beast! There were some issues with cracked valves early on but it had to do with the glow plugs and that was fixed a long time ago. I would get a 2015 to take advantage of the updated engine. The second gen engine is lighter, and a lot stronger with a larger turbo, better injectors and larger crankshaft bearings to boot. I think the super duty needs a facelift but I also think it currently has the best motor on the market all around. Flame away Cummins lovers!

I have lots of buddies with new truck including my brother who just bought two Fords. I have ridden and traveled in many of them. There is no better motor out there right now than that 6.7 Ford engine. The new ones have insane amounts of power and will nudge 20 mpg on the highway. The tranny and brakes are better than the Dodge and Chevy too. When GM first came out with trucks using Allison tranny they had it going on. We all like the Ford trannies better now.

Both the Dodge and the Chevy are so choked with emission stuff that 15 mpg on the highway is the norm.

If I had the cash, I would jump on a new King Ranch yesterday!

NRA Benefactor Member

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have 47k miles on my 2013. I've been happy with it, no major issues thus far.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Funny, I had a 7.3 and many said the previous engine was better. I have also heard the engine 2011 and newer are much better than the previous engines...

I'm in the market or soon will be for 4x drive PU. One issue I have with the Ford vs. the Dodge is the emissions.. The Ford and Chevy require an additional tank of (?) to meet emissions and the Dodge doesn't.

If the diesel laws in the USA were not so f...ed up we'd almost all be driving diesels. But for some reason the good old governement wants to tax diesel fuel more.

So I'm also looking at large displacement gas engines.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
'11 F250 w/62K. I bought it new in Mar '12. I had it re-flashed once and it's due for a 2nd I just haven't taken it in. Other than that, I haven't had 1 single maint issue. Fuel, Urea, and oil changes.

My mileage isn't nearly what I see other reporting but our speed limit on Interstates is 75MPh which means I run a GPS based 79-80MPH with the cruise set for hundreds of miles at a time. That speed w/highway tires nets me ~15-17MPG empty, mostly wind dependent. I pull my ~3500# boat 70MPH and it's a pretty steady 12MPG. If I drive in MN and set the cruise @ 72MPH (70MPH Interstate speed limit) I get 17-19MPG empty. A heavier load actually gets better mileage because the EGT's are consistently higher and there are fewer exhaust regeneration cycles. Exhaust re-gen cycles run ~10-15min and net ~10MPG during that time. I see them every 300ish miles during cold/dry months and as often as every 100Mi if it's really humid in the summer.

The brakes are very good. The integrated trailer braking system on the 7-pin hub has been flawless (I have electric brakes on my boat trailer). The flat 4 also works perfectly. Putting my 700# ATV in the bed makes everything sit level and really smooths out the bumps, other than that you wouldn't know it's back there. The 6.7L with my boat hooked to it comes away from a dead stop quicker than my '06 6.0L F-250 PSD did empty.

I helped a friend move from Omaha NE to Bismarck ND. We filled the box and back-seat of my truck as well as filled his Honda Accord completely full and put it on a heavy 22' car hauler my farmer buddy uses for moving tractors. I drove into a 20+MPH wind from Omaha to Fargo ND running 72MPH in IA and 80MPH in SD/ND all on I-29. I got 11MPG and shifted out of 6th gear once for about 1/4mi. I thought that was very good given the speed and headwind. Very few regen cycles on that trip due to higher EGT's because of the load/speed. I've got 3:31 rear-end gears and the thing just clipped along @ ~1800RPM with narry a hiccup.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bugger

I'm in the market or soon will be for 4x drive PU. One issue I have with the Ford vs. the Dodge is the emissions.. The Ford and Chevy require an additional tank of (?) to meet emissions and the Dodge doesn't.

Ram has used DEF since 2013.

If you don't absolutely need a diesel, you'll be better served by a gas rig. I've never regretted getting out of the diesel game, but I no longer haul really heavy trailers.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by horse1
I had it re-flashed once and it's due for a 2nd I just haven't taken it in.

re-flashed???

Been driving a diesel pickup since '97 and never had one re-flashed, at least not that I know of.

Help me out here, what it is?

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by muleshoe
Originally Posted by horse1
I had it re-flashed once and it's due for a 2nd I just haven't taken it in.

re-flashed???

Been driving a diesel pickup since '97 and never had one re-flashed, at least not that I know of.

Help me out here, what it is?

Software update. The new ones have multiple computers controlling different things. They often need 'flashed' or updated.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Originally Posted by Bugger

Ram has used DEF since 2013.

If you don't absolutely need a diesel, you'll be better served by a gas rig. I've never regretted getting out of the diesel game, but I no longer haul really heavy trailers.

This.^^^

All diesels sold in the US now have Urea tanks. None get the mileage they should. They cost quite a bit more up front and more to maintain and feed. IF you really need the torque- a gasser can't compare.

My buddy sold his 2012 F350 and we just use his F150 Ecoboost now for every trip he drives on. If we need to pull a heavy trailer we take my F250.

I don't even consider GM products anymore since they screwed us taxpayers in the bailout they got. My BIL bought new Dodge and only gets 12 MPG. Nice truck other than that!

NRA Benefactor Member

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
while the new Ford motor is a good runner , I still truly believe if you are keeping a pickup for the LONG haul , like 200000 miles plus , you are better off with a Dodge and I say that as a guy that is currently driving an 08 F350

there have been a few catastrophic failures with the 6.7 Ford ....Like all the motors with the CP 4 Bosch pump , they are prone to a 10000 dollar repair with a dose of watery fuel.....AND Ford will not warrenty the fuel system if they can detect any water in your fuel

Dodge still uses a CP3 pump , which seems much less prone to those problems , and they are just plain easier to work on , a neccessity in my view if you are keeping a truck many , many years ; and the only way you can make the diesel investment pay off

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 1234, 10ring1, 59 invisible), 2,263 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,261
Posts18,486,455
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.