-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ya'll don't giggle...but I traded into a used Wby MK V 300Wby 1st Gen SS/FiberClass that weighed about 7lbs bare nekkid umm 15+ years ago. I got rid of it finally when I saw that the stock around the receiver was bowing on recoil, and spraying bullets vertically,but holding a 1/2+ wide group side to side....up to 3-4"s tall. I had run out of extra money and traded a used garden tiller for a New Swift 4x12x40 AO Premier Grade and put mebbe 100+ rounds out of the Wby, wearing the Swift before I gave up & swapped it for a M70 Classic Boss 338WMg & took some boot too. I hope that guy that smirked at me enjoyed that Wby as much as I had, LOL

Picked up a Savage 300Wmg ss/syn and shot it for 3-4 years with the Swift on top & getting sub MOA with ease, then traded into a Browning ABolt SS/syn 300Wmg (from the 338 M70) and got bored with it not getting more than 7/8" MOA's with fighting the trigger fixes with the Swift on top, traded the Browning on a M70 Classic SS/syn 300WMg where the Swift lived for mebbe 5 years & averaging MOA to less with 3 different bullet wieghts and brands...and sold the Swift earlier this year for $75...with mebbe 1000+ rounds of 300 Magnums shot under it.

The old white lettering Swift was still solid, moved the crosshairs as it was supposed to, and still held Zero with no fooling around to make it work & no dimmer than it always was.

But my eyes are getting dimmer at past 70 and it was time to upgrade some glass & I picked up a 2-10x50 Minox ZA5 HD to go on a T3 260, Vortex 4x16 Dback HP to go on a T3 270 & another Burris FF II in a 4.5x14PA to replace a FF II 3x9x40 to go on a M70 300Whizzum( I've had 5 or 6 of 'em and NEVER had a lick of concern or a problem so far) ...BUT Ya'll are making me wonder if I made a mistake selling the Swift, as it was always a better performing product than any rifle it lived on.

I don't shoot a 300 Wby or WMg anmymore, but am starting on settling a Cherry late run NH 300Whizzum Fwt so we'll see what happens there. Whatever scope brand out of those 3 Brands I am the most satisfied with will get all my business in the next year or so.

Wife wants me to sell 'em all and buy ONE $3K+ GUN since I don't hunt near as much as I used to...Not gonna happen...but the price point $$ might happen if I can get into LR Precision Steel & 'yotes n'hogs without her knowing it...and we'll start this odyssey again.
Ron

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
interesting reading, I've had my swaro z3 3-10x42 on my 7 3/4 lbs. 300 H&H for perhaps 5 years now, I suppose 350-400 rounds without issue yet, I guess any scope can go south. But I will admit once I got my 300 H&H load work done I've not fiddled with adjustments much.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The shv and compact nightforce models are like 4 oz heavier. Leupolds break even on low recoil guns

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by handwerk
interesting reading, I've had my swaro z3 3-10x42 on my 7 3/4 lbs. 300 H&H for perhaps 5 years now, I suppose 350-400 rounds without issue yet, I guess any scope can go south. But I will admit once I got my 300 H&H load work done I've not fiddled with adjustments much.

Wondering if that 300 H&H's kinder and more gently recoil makes the difference. I absolutely hate shooting 300 win mags but no issues with a 300 wby 338 win.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have to wonder if there is something about your setup that's stressing the scope more than usual. I would definitely call Leupold CS and discuss your problem, rather than just send it back again. Possibly that scope has a problem that doesn't show up under normal repair procedures. They might well just replace it rather than spend a lot of time diagnosing it.

Good luck.

Last edited by Pappy348; 03/23/15.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
Boy oh boy it gets frustrating with .300 mags eating scopes. Was just shooting my Tikka .300 winny. This rifle is a consistant shooter. Usually puts 5 into.7" to 1" with hunting loads. (180 BT or TTSX with either of the 4831's)

Shooting at 200 yards which is my zero. 2 hit right on zero couldn't see the third and thought went into another hole. Fired another and noticed a hole low left about a foot low. One more shot was low and left into the dirt.

Checked all the mounts, action screws. All good. I guess this one is going to make the trip to Leupold again. It is a VX 3, 3.5X10 CDS. It has lasted about 75 rounds.
2nd time back to Leupold.

Lefty C
I have the same gun , and can understand why some scopes may not stay on them long. It's not that the gun kicks so excessively. But the recoil comes at you Fast! I think recoil velocity is the real culprit. I have a 6x weaver on mine and no issues thus far.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I must be lucky. Leupold scopes on everything ranging from 416 Rigby, 340 & 300 Weatherbys for over 20 years and never an issue..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Do you shoot off a lead sled????

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Huntz,

No lead sled. I have about 20 Leupolds so this is not about slamming Leupold just problems with this one. I have Leupolds on some ultra light arms rifles and they have held up on those.
One rifle, a .300 WSM ate a Swarovoski AV in 40-50 rounds. I replaced it with a 2.5X8 Leupold and it lasted for several hundred until I eventually sold it.

So I am guessing this particular scope may just have a problem that Leupold may figure out on this go around.

I may spring for a NF or something else?

Lefty

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Still trying to break my 1st Loopy. Yes, I shoot with a Lead Sled a lot. Surpised someone got a 6x42 to go TU. I have an M8 and just bought an FX-3 6x42. I'll keep tryin' . . . .

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Leupold, Redfield, Weaver, and Bushnell and never sent a scope back. I've had mounting systems shear off, but the scopes have held up.

1Minute
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I've handled a NULA in 300 Weatherby. That ought to be a scope testing platform. grin

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
Whiebread

I really like Leupolds and have them on several rifles that kick more than this Tikka. For some reason this scope has failed twice on this rifle. There is no second guessing it either it usually throws shoots 4-6" per shot.

I also own three NF scopes on my heavy long range competition rifles, great scopes but not for this rifle. IMOP even the compact ones are a bit heavy for a pure mountain rifle.

Lefty C

I'd rather have the extra 6-7 oz of dependability than 13 oz's of possible failure!

+1 That sums it up. I would rather lug around another pound around on my rifle and be sure it hits where I want it to, that's why I use Nightforce. You can save all the weight you want, but if it don't hold zero or tracks well or even fails and its off 4" at 100 yards, take that out to 300 yards that's minute of barn door.

Last edited by gemby58; 03/23/15.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by mathman
I've handled a NULA in 300 Weatherby. That ought to be a scope testing platform. grin

+1

And, a shoulder, headache testing machine... wink

DF

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Huntz
Do you shoot off a lead sled????

Lead sleds will tear the best of the best scopes apart with heavy recoiling rifles. I built a 338-416 Rigby for a buddy of mine, and he wanted a 14 pound or less gun. Well he mounted a Leupold 6.5X20 LRT on it took it to the range. He didn't have a muzzle break on it which I advised against and he had to use his lead sled with 2 bag of shot with I also told him was bad idea. Well first shot out of the rifle he wore the Leupold in the middle of his for head, I took 16 stiches to repair his head. Sheared the scope right off the gun. Now he wont use a lead sled and he loves his muzzle break. Lead sleds are bad news for scopes, mounts and even the stocks.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I've seen more than one stock damaged at the wrist when shot on lead sleds.

I haven't seen a satisfactory explanation of how lead sleds damage scopes. The "physics" I've come across in such conversations, e.g. "the recoil has to go somewhere," hasn't cut the mustard.

Please note I'm not saying anything about an observed increased frequency of scope failure correlating with lead sled use.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by mathman
I've seen more than one stock damaged at the wrist when shot on lead sleds.

I haven't seen a satisfactory explanation of how lead sleds damage scopes. The "physics" I've come across in such conversations, e.g. "the recoil has to go somewhere," hasn't cut the mustard.

Please note I'm not saying anything about an observed increased frequency of scope failure correlating with lead sled use.

If it will break the stock what do you think it will do to the scope.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
PM Mule Deer and run the problem by him. He may figure out the problem PDQ. He's busted some scopes.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I wont even let a lead sled on my range, not after I seen what can happen. You can bring it, but it wont leave your car, if it does your and your lead sled can leave my property.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gemby58
I wont even let a lead sled on my range, not after I seen what can happen. You can bring it, but it wont leave your car, if it does your and your lead sled can leave my property.

Not trying to be a smart allack; but, why gemby? Is there some danger to others around? I've never heard of any such thing; but, I guess there's always a first.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

141 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 35, 44mc, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 7887mm08, 10 invisible), 1,556 guests, and 933 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,996
Posts18,481,156
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.