Hop To
Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 28 29
T
TF49 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T

Atheism is a belief, theory and a philosophy arguably intending to explain man's origin, his core nature and his future.

This is religion, right?

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Correct

μολὼν λαβέ
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
What does atheism "worship"? What rituals does it have?

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
No. The definition of atheism is the disbelief of deities, god or gods.

T
TF49 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
From an "online dictionary" :

A religion is an organized collection of beliefs, cultural systems, and world views that relate humanity to an order of existence.[note 1] Many religions have narratives, symbols, and sacred histories that aim to explain the meaning of life and/or to explain the origin of life or the Universe. From their beliefs about the cosmos and human nature, people may derive morality, ethics, religious laws or a preferred lifestyle.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
As an atheist, I attend no church and I subscribe to no dogma. I don't think there is a god or an afterlife, either as a reward or punishment. Religious faith requires you to believe without proof. Beliefs vary across cultures. What you believe has more to do with where you were born and what your parents believed than it does with any independent knowledge on the part of the believer. In lieu of proof or a universally consistent religious experience, I see no evidence of a god(s). I don't much care how the universe came to be or how we came to be. I understand facts and evidence. I know my parents and not god made me, that I will live some amount of time, and will die and cease to be. That doesn't scare me. I don't need to pretend that there is a "better place" after I die to deal with all that. For me, atheism means no proof - no belief - in anything. I'm ok just letting the mysteries be without having belief in stuff that was made up by man in some primitive culture as a way to control behavior. But I'm ok with everyone that needs to believe in a god or whatever that helps them get through the day or their life.

Last edited by cooper57m; 03/24/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You are displaying as much faith as anyone else because you can't see past yourself.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It makes religious folk happy to call atheism a religion, so they do.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Supreme Court declared it is.

Everyday Hunter
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ringman

Well, as long as the Supreme Court said so....

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not quite. More of an equivalent.

A position on divinity, the denial of such, is afforded the same protections as traditional religious beliefs.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But hey, if it makes you happy, by all means call it a religion!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You are displaying as much faith as anyone else because you can't see past yourself.

Huh?? Boy, that needs translation. Kind of sounds like double speak. What faith have I displayed?? BTW none of us can see past what we ourselves see or experience. Everything else is just stories. I put more weight in those stories that can be substantiated by facts. Isn't this how we all stopped believing in things we once held as true? When facts displace myths or lies.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Huh?? Boy, that needs translation. Kind of sounds like double speak. What faith have I displayed?? BTW none of us can see past what we ourselves see or experience. Everything else is just stories. I put more weight in those stories that can be substantiated by facts. Isn't this how we all stopped believing in things we once held as true? When facts displace myths or lies.

Exactly. That's what I said in fewer words. You apparently don't understand faith.

Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I cannot make sense of Ringman's post either.
I do understand that you cannot reason someone out of something they were never reasoned into.

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by cooper57m
As an atheist, I attend no church and I subscribe to no dogma. I don't think there is a god or an afterlife, either as a reward or punishment. Religious faith requires you to believe without proof. Beliefs vary across cultures. What you believe has more to do with where you were born and what your parents believed than it does with any independent knowledge on the part of the believer. In lieu of proof or a universally consistent religious experience, I see no evidence of a god(s). I don't much care how the universe came to be or how we came to be. I understand facts and evidence. I know my parents and not god made me, that I will live some amount of time, and will die and cease to be. That doesn't scare me. I don't need to pretend that there is a "better place" after I die to deal with all that. For me, atheism means no proof - no belief - in anything. I'm ok just letting the mysteries be without having belief in stuff that was made up by man in some primitive culture as a way to control behavior. But I'm ok with everyone that needs to believe in a god or whatever that helps them get through the day or their life.

PREACH IT, BROTHER!!!
blush blush ...er, uh, I mean well said and I agree completely. grin

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by NeBassman
What does atheism "worship"?
Themselves. A true personal god. grin

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by NeBassman
What does atheism "worship"? What rituals does it have?

I once saw a group of atheist that were on their knees bowing before a large letter of "N". One asked another; "Is Nothing sacred"?

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by RWE

Well, as long as the Supreme Court said so....

I think it is kind of fully for a thread on religion is using a SC ruling to make a point.

Faith and lack of any faith both are protected as they should be. The government should have nothing to say on the issue beyond that.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I understand faith. It is a belief not based on anything certain. Faith is a promise. I have faith that I will wake up tomorrow, but I know that tomorrow is not guaranteed to any of us. Faith is confidence and trust, but faith can be misplaced. You can have faith that a plane won't crash when you step onto one (or else why would you do it) but we also know that sometimes they crash. That particular faith is based on an expectation gleaned from past experience, that most planes don't crash. Faith, by definition, is not certain.

Religious faith is not based on past experiences, it is based on stories told to us. Some native americans believed the earth was created by a turtle, some people believe in reincarnation, some believe god spoke thru a burning bush, some believe there is one god and some have faith there are many gods. These beliefs are all based on stories told us, with no facts to back them up. Are they all correct? Why are you so sure the stories told you are more correct then a Hindu's, or a Muslim's or a Jew? They all have faith. If you believe that other religions can have it wrong, why is it so hard for some of you to understand that some of us think that all religions can have it wrong? There's no more evidence for one over another - is there?

Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 28 29

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (1234, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 007FJ, 160user, 1lessdog, 61 invisible), 2,380 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,531
Posts18,491,186
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.