Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TWR
Not everyone knows what to look for, myself included on a 1911. I can see burrs that don't belong but know nothing about the platform. That's why I enlisted the help of a good friend to set this one up and we are getting close. I got into this one cheap enough that it'll make a nice learning project.

But to pay $1000 or more and have to finish a pistol is unacceptable.

I changed followers in 4 mags last night, went out and shot 9 different mags this morning. My Colt mags may be the biggest part of the problem after all. The remaining 5 mags ran fine. It's off to have a few more details ironed out and I need to get a new grip safety fitted (this one is chewing my hand up). I found 47D's on sale at Brownells last night and have some of the coming in. Once it's all done I'll post it up and see where we stand.

Curious if you could post some pics of your Colt mags, showing lips, followers, and logo.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

GB1

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by TWR
Which mags do you reccomend?

I did own a stock STI Ranger that ran fine for about 80-90 rounds then needed cleaning. And a Kimber 1911-22 that didn't like to be dirty and only ran on high velocity ammo. But that one probably shouldn't count since it strays from the 1911 design.

Like I said, I want to like them and have shot a few, just haven't found one that I'd call as reliable as a Sig or M&P or Glock.

Tripp Cobra Mags

Tripp Research

Wilson 47D's are also very,very reliable in most guns.

There's just a lot of little things & interactions on a 1911 that need to be correct.....the extractor (several aspects), ejector, ejection port, breech face of the slide smooth, disconnector head free of burrs, top locking lugs on the barrel & the slide need to be burr free, fitted right & the edges broken, right spring, etc. & of course the magazines, the feed ramp & the relationship of the feed ramp to the barrel & the barrel's throat.

The chamber, bottom of the barrel hood & the feed ramp (on a steel framed gun) should be highly polished, IMO.

Lots of people have a real tendency to think that a super power recoil spring is the answer to all feeding / failure to return to battery issues with 1911's but that, many times, is not the answer & many times, makes it worse.

I use 16 or 17 lb variable rate springs with a square bottom firing pin stop for all but a steady, long term diet of +P 230 grain loads, as I believe in the lightest spring that the gun will reliably function with & not hammer the frame is best........the original GI spring spec is 16 lb & much of reliable feeding & ejection is about timing & slide speed is a part of that equation.

Also lots of feeding issues, which sometimes result in a failure to return to battery, can be related to the follower angle & the angle that the round is presented to the chamber.

That's part of the reason that magazines like the Tripp work so consistently is because of the deep follower that keeps each round's orientation straight & consistent.

MM

and forgive me but this is a prime example of the weaknesses in the 1911 platform. It's a complicated design that is rather delicate or you wouldn't hear of any of these issues, they would have been corrected and standardized in the 100 years it's been in production.

Just saying...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Savuti
I have a strong impression that this chasm twixt the 1911 likers and the GlockSigM&PEtc camp falls along generational lines, with the 1911 folks likely in the 50+ year old category while the other group is more likely 40 or under.

It is logical for all of us to be more enamored of whichever platform we first learned "serious" shooting technique with, be that military or LE training or private attendance at Chapman's, Gunsite, TR etc.

Since my first exposure to the modern technique was a 40 hour Intermediate Pistol course as taught by Ray C. in 1980, I fall into the over 50/1911 camp.
I currently have 7 1911s, all 45s.
But I also own (or have owned) G17, G19x2, G20, G21x2, G23, G26, G30, and G36 along with a handful of SIGs and one M&P 45.

My daily carry rotation includes 2 of the 1911s, Kimber Ultra CDP and DW CCO. None of the Glocks are in my rotation because I'm simply not comfortable carrying one in Condition 1, and if I'm carrying a piece it's going to be in Con 1.

So, that's me, perfectly happy with a cocked & locked 1911 on my hip, but not with a cocked and unlocked G whatever.

PS-The local Sheriff's dept requires deputies to buy their own sidearm from an approved list which includes all the usual suspects. However, a recent discussion with one deputy revealed that, ironically, the 1911 is no longer on that list. Seems the current brass believes the public would react negatively to seeing an officer carrying a cocked and locked 1911. I guess the public doesn't mind seeing a cocked and unlocked Glock?

Pete

I'm over 50, and I didn't cut my teeth on 1911's. I was a revolver man for a long time. Then I started using SA autos other than 1911. Then DA and DAO autos. Then the 1911. I resisted the allure of the 1911 for a long time- seeing the problems others had with them. Finally had to jump in and see for myself what it is about, and the pattern won me over. Difference between me and a lot of other users, is that I made it a point of learning how the thing works before changing anything.

Still like and have faith in revolvers, the Kahr K9, and High-Power. Still have faith in and respect for various other pistols including Glock - but I like to mostly stick with a couple of types that work best for me. (DA revolvers, SA pistols )

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TWR
...and forgive me but this is a prime example of the weaknesses in the 1911 platform. It's a complicated design that is rather delicate or you wouldn't hear of any of these issues, they would have been corrected and standardized in the 100 years it's been in production.

Just saying...

'
They were standardized. It's the move away from the standard that is at the root of these problems. (well - that and kitchen-table gunbutchers) Did you not read this whole thread?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yep. Reminds me of the debate that pops up about replacement Glock barrels. You've got two mfrs - Lone Wolf and KKM? And you have a debate about which one is better. Now you have 20-30 people making 1911 barrels, and you'll see that much more variation.

The handgun I have owned the longest is a 629 Smith, and after that a Colt 1911 from the early 90's. I've owned and shot a bunch of others, but I keep coming back to the 1911 for the best combo of reliability, practical accuracy, and power. Though I do usually have a H&K around smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TWR
Not everyone knows what to look for, myself included on a 1911. I can see burrs that don't belong but know nothing about the platform. That's why I enlisted the help of a good friend to set this one up and we are getting close. I got into this one cheap enough that it'll make a nice learning project.

Was the barrel in that gun throated from the factory or did someone throat it at some point in time?

I can't remember exactly when Colt started throating their barrels other than the Gold Cup barrels, but an early (er) non-throated barrel can be difficult to make work until it get a decent throat cut. Even then, lots of barrels have been ruined by people attempting to do what they didn't really know how to do.

The older, mid-'70 Commander that I have has a barrel that was not throated & once it was throated correctly & the (GI style) mag followers corrected & the lips modified, it's been an absolute 100% gun. I've since replaced the original followers on those mags with followers from Tripp Research (Cobra Mags).

Her is a pic of several magazines. All but the Kimber work just fine although I just do not use the S&W mags, simply because I don't want to waste time fooling with them to thoroughly wring them out to a high confidence level when I know Tripp & Wilson's work.

Sorry for the crummy pic, but I was in a hurry........you can see it well enough to see the various differences.

MM

Left to Right

1. SW, 2. SW, 3. GI Colt (mod lips, original follower), 4. GI Colt (mod lips, Tripp follower), 5. Kimber, 6. Wilson, 7. Wilson, 8. Christensen Arms, 9. Tripp Cobra Mag

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The guy who got me into guns said the biggest problem with most guns is the loose nut behind the trigger.

Also like the one that goes 1911s are what you show your friends - Glocks are what you show your enemies.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TWR

and forgive me but this is a prime example of the weaknesses in the 1911 platform. It's a complicated design that is rather delicate or you wouldn't hear of any of these issues, they would have been corrected and standardized in the 100 years it's been in production.

Actually the design is not complicated, but is rather simple & pure genius, especially for the time it was developed.........the rub comes in the execution & manufacturing the parts & a lot of changes & bastardization, most fairly subtle.

Here's an example; had a guy with a guy & he had bought a Wilson thumb safety to go onto his Taurus 1911.

But it wouldn't fit.

Turns out the frame was too thick on the inside to allow the safety to move up into the safe position so the frame had to be adjusted to make it fit.

That frame was not to the same spec as Colt, S&W, Caspian, etc., & Taurus safeties, obviously are not exactly the same as "standard".

I didn't have his original safety, but I expect it might fit a standard frame, but a standard safety would not fit the Taurus frame.

MM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by leomort
As a relative newbie to 1911's, what are some of the trouble areas or weakness of the 1911's that I should be paying attention to?

I think it would be worthwhile to seek the writings/comments/videos from the gentlemen below regarding 1911 pistols. There is a lot of good info from these guys. Although there can be personal bias, each of their backgrounds and qualifications are available online. Some do not recommend the 1911 for beginners, but some are fans so I think its a decent mix. At least a few are intimately familiar with 1911 failures in training or actual combat.

Now, their environmental conditions/uses might be more extreme than what your pistol will experience so take it for what its worth. I think the common theme will be that they generally recommend a Glock or M&P over a 1911 or even XD.

Ken Hackathorn
Larry Vickers
Super Dave Harrington
Dave Spaulding
Pat Rogers
Kyle Lamb
Rob Pinkus
Kyle DeFoor
Paul Howe
Jason Falla
Chris Costa
Steve Reichert
Travis Haley

Last edited by 4th_point; 03/24/15.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
[Linked Image][/URL]
Top to bottom Colt, Colt, Colt,Colt, MecGar, unknown, Pachmyer for the last three.

Last edited by TWR; 03/24/15.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Colt followers don't look like any Colt follower I've seen, but then again, I haven't used much for Colt's for awhile.

The unknown is a McCormack Shooting Star.

The Pachmyers lips look a lot like Wilsons but the follower is completely different.

MM

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I changed out the Colt followers for Pachmyers, the shooting star is one I stuck in the unknown mag, it just says Colt 45 but no pony. The Pachmyer followers are to "cure the last round hangup common in 1911's" according to Brownells.
[Linked Image][/URL]
This site sucks on an iPhone so I may not get back here till tomorrow.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
[Linked Image][/URL]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TWR
The Pachmyer followers are to "cure the last round hangup common in 1911's" according to Brownells.

I've never found that to be a problem with any mag I've used.

Maybe if the mag spring was dead............

It's that kind of non-sense that makes for more problems than it fixes.

MM

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe those magazines will work in a Glock.

A guy can't make this stuff up.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JOG
Maybe those magazines will work in a Glock.

A guy can't make this stuff up.

[Linked Image]

MM

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Imagine if WW3 broke out and some of these guys were drafted and were forced to use weapons as issued with no modifications.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
If WW3 broke out the 1911 is the last thing I'd want. This and all 1911's are just toys.

the Colt mags popped the last round up so I tried the followers, they stopped that but still wouldn't fully chamber the last round.

Laugh while you can.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
You'd think after over 100 years, 1911 magazines would be sorted out.

My first issue pistol was a 1911A1. It was oooold and tired, probably from WWII, or Korea. Magazine problems were really common. Other than that, the front sight flew off one time at the requal range. Good times.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
You'd think after over 100 years, 1911 magazines would be sorted out.

My first issue pistol was a 1911A1. It was oooold and tired, probably from WWII, or Korea. Magazine problems were really common. Other than that, the front sight flew off one time at the requal range. Good times.

Generally they are - it's that bullets keep changing.

Me

Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 66 invisible), 2,097 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,773
Posts18,495,725
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.