Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
So what's the deal with the "new" Kimber SubMOA accuracy standard? I don't believe stamping "MOA" on the box is a measure of all rifles, but it does show confidence and commitment to quality control, and I like that (5 shot MOA for SAKO? That's confidence!). When I was looking at their rifles a few years ago that was not advertised. Has something changed in their manufacturing process to enable this? Market hype? I know there have been many detractors as well as Kimber fans on here, please chime in.

I played with a Kimber 84 in 338 federal a couple weeks ago at the gunshow and loved how it felt in the hand. Now I'm looking at buying an 84, in boring ol 308, but it was light, had a nice matte walnut stock (As much as I want to want to like synthetic stocks, there is nothing more beautiful than a walnut and blue hunting rifle, I don't care if it gets rained every day in the Mt. Zirkel wilderness) but I wasn't able to work the action or try the trigger. With its rocky reputation, is the Kimber 84 worth anything or am I better off looking at MRC, Sako, LAW, (or any other suggestions)?

I'm looking for a high quality elk/deer colorado hunting rifle in a classic configuration that will last a lifetime. My go to rifle currently is an Xbolt 308 which is a great shooting rifle.... it just feels and looks cheap, know what i mean? The bolt, the safety, the magazine, everything about it just feels like it was made with the most economy available to modern manufacturing.

HR IC

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
My Montana and hand loads shoots MOA if I do my part. I know there are horror stories, but I am huge fan and have 2 now. I will buy them for any future gun fixes.

Good Shooting!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They read shortactionsmokers thread of trick moves and got the hint.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have two Kimbers, an older Montana 7mm-08 which is getting rebarreled, and a newer Classic Select in .257 Roberts.

I have a bore scope, and the 7mm-08 is rough inside. After much tuning & checking the posted fixes, it's on its way to Pac-nor. It would group when warm, but scattered them out of a cold barrel, which of course is useless for a hunting rifle.

The later .257 seems decent so far, but I need to do more load development for it.

Kimbers have neat designs, but at least on the older ones, they put chit barrels on them. It sounds like they have wised up and have started using good barrels.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 16bore

So they have MOA standards, after being tweaked by shooters who know what they're doing? Who doesn't ? grin

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't think they are worried about RAR buyers. One Montana is 3 Rugers and a coupla Tasco's. bubbanomics.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My first Kimber was a debacle. I got frustrated and sold it. Bought another a few weeks ago in 308, after reading about the success others have had with this slick little gun. After a few range sessions, I'm happy with it's performance for such a light rifle. As said above, I think Kimber may have read the Kimber tweak thread on here, as my rifle needed none of what the earlier rifles needed in order to shoot MOA out of the box. I did skim bed the action which improved groups some. When they work out, and most seem to lately, it seems, they are hard to beat for the $.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Damn, I bought my 270 MT last year and it didn't have the MOA accuracy stamp on the box. I'm a little disappointed so I think I might send the box back so they can stamp it MOA wink

Attached Images
Group 1 small.jpg (45.01 KB, 398 downloads)
270 MT with 130 Fed Fusions
Group 2 small.jpg (48.05 KB, 312 downloads)
Group 2, warm barrel
Group 3 small.jpg (46.75 KB, 360 downloads)
Group 3, cooled between 3 rounds
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Handle the Montana 308 before you buy.The Montana stock doesn't feel cheap like a lot of synthetics.I also think it somehow helps soak up recoil.

I own a Montana in 7mm-08 and would buy another without fear.

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Good to hear some recent success with Kimber.

Maybe I'm alone here but the rugers, tikkas, etc., have no soul. Yeah, they may be accurate, hell I have a tikka in 300wsm and its got a great trigger and shoots my damn arm off, but no soul. Hollow plastic stock, cast receiver; handling a well made rifle is like comparing a blow up doll to bar rafaeli.

Last edited by wildcat33; 03/24/15.
IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Capt_Craig
Damn, I bought my 270 MT last year and it didn't have the MOA accuracy stamp on the box. I'm a little disappointed so I think I might send the box back so they can stamp it MOA wink

Looks like yours are junk too! Buy with confidence and enjoy a great, control round fed rifle.

Good Shooting!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
They hired a couple new guys within the last few years that are really turning the rifle program around for the better.

RLTW
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I noticed the accuracy standard on the website recently. The Kimber rifles are a real value in the market. I'm a fan...

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Kimber rifles are designed to be capable of shooting a 3-shot group of .99” or less at 100 yards by a highly skilled and qualified shooter using factory ammunition"

Doesn't mean they will or that the average Joe can. It's like granny driving an F1 car vs. a Buick.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Guess I need to flip it, my 7WSM don't meet the guarantee...10 shots at 400 on a ladder <grin>

[Linked Image]

Dave

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S

(pulling up an old thread)

I am interested in learning about the Kimber accuracy tweaks in shortactionsmokers' thread. I did a search but can't find it. Anyone got a link they can share?

TIA

Last edited by shinbone; 04/21/18.
R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by greentimber
They hired a couple new guys within the last few years that are really turning the rifle program around for the better.

Brad and SAS?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
"Kimber rifles are designed to be capable of shooting a 3-shot group of .99” or less at 100 yards by a highly skilled and qualified shooter using factory ammunition"

Doesn't mean they will or that the average Joe can. It's like granny driving an F1 car vs. a Buick.

Alright, maybe they hired scenarshooter to test shoot them too...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kimber has a MOA standard

HINT....... this is NOT a guarante and will give nobody any traction with Kimbers CS

Kimber isn't "fronting" anything out of pocket in terms of a guarante here

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (2500HD, 1moredeer, 204guy, 257man, 1badf350, 257 roberts, 59 invisible), 1,845 guests, and 1,063 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,893
Posts18,497,991
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.