-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
wyo - the difference in accuracy between those bullets is in the "noise" - which means nada. There are an infinite number of other things that you can do or change that will matter more.

I'm back to using the 180 gn partition in my 300 after a few decades of using the 200 gn partition. A 180 at 3100fps will easily kill anything on our continent.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Shooters Pro Shop has a TON of 180 partition Blems right now.
http://www.shootersproshop.com/shoo...0-180gr-partition-spitzer-blem-50ct.html

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by CreekWarrior
wyo - the difference in accuracy between those bullets is in the "noise" - which means nada.

A 180 at 3100fps will easily kill anything on our continent.

Yup and yup. wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman

Yes, but I already bought a chit load of 200's when they were $13.45/bag..... sick... I used/loaded 200's in my 300 win and wby mags. They worked great too... The 180's are awesome killers in the 300's as well. I'd be all over those blems...They actually are pretty damn good bullets..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Yes, but I already bought a chit load of 200's when they were $13.45/bag..... sick... I used/loaded 200's in my 300 win and wby mags. They worked great too... The 180's are awesome killers in the 300's as well. I'd be all over those blems...They actually are pretty damn good bullets..

My .300 WM has been set up for 180's for years. I, too, like you bought 200 NPT's from SPS and am working up loads.

I know personally that a 180 NPT will kill an elk, even a big one, but Loonies NEVER leave good enough alone... blush

DF

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
[Linked Image]

180 NPT.

One in the boiler room did the trick, but he didn't know that and ran. Another to the spine dropped his rear quarters and he was still trying to get away, using his front feet. I was about to nail him again, but the guide said he was done for.

The guide was right. But, sometimes a "dead" elk will run... smile

DF

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I am not saying, "Don't handload" but I stand-by the 'ole REM Core Lokt 180 grain. They will work. I have some Barnes that I have reloaded and they are more accurate at the bench but I think if I was in a real world situation the Core Lokt would do the work out to 270 yds safely. That's just me though. But if I was to get technicle I would choose Swift brand in either A frame or the Scirocco. Try some H1000:)

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I am not saying, "Don't handload" but I stand-by the 'ole REM Core Lokt 180 grain. They will work. I have some Barnes that I have reloaded and they are more accurate at the bench but I think if I was in a real world situation the Core Lokt would do the work out to 270 yds safely. That's just me though. But if I was to get technicle I would choose Swift brand in either A frame or the Scirocco. Try some H1000:)

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by wyoming260
I have started working with a new to me Tikka in .300 win mag. This will be primarily an elk rifle.
After some initial testing with various bullets it has averaged less then an inch for three shot groups with:
180gr. nosler partitions/handloads
180 gr. Barnes TSX / handloads
220 gr Sierra RN/handloads
180 gr Noselr Partition / Federal Factory loads

These were all shells loaded for other guns and they all grouped under an inch and all grouped to same relative point of aim.
I am gonna start assembly loads for it and am kinda undecided what I would like to use. Magazine restricts to an absolute max. length of 3.34" so it becomes an issue with heavier bullets.
All things considered equal what would you use for an elk bullet

P.S. Most shots 300 yds. or less

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
But, sometimes a "dead" elk will run...
At other times, I think they will go into shock and just stand. Some years ago, I shot a 4x4 bull at about 250 yds. He just stood there. I shot 3 more times before he went down. He just stood there looking dumb and I wasn't sure I was even hitting him. I was, and hard. I could cover all 4 shots with my hand, all rignt in the center of the lungs. The lungs were obliterated, like a jello that just hit the floor, and the far shoulder was broken.

When in shock, the blood pressure plummets and the heart races. I think that often a bullet will cause rapid internal bleeding and the blood pressure drops fast. Then the heart takes off at high speed to try to compensate. It causes malfunctions of many other organs in the process. Of course the heart can't keep it up for very long with no blood supply. Meanwhile, the animal goes nowhere, as in the case with this elk. As the blood to the brain is shut down, they lose the go power to run. My elk likely didn't even know he was hit the last 3 times.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I've seen that. My hunting pard shot a big elk and he just stood there for a while.. He eventually turned all the way around and got another 180 NPT thru the boiler room. He stood even longer, head drooped, looking pretty weak, then slowly rolled over.

DF

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
My elk hunting partner has been running a 300 Win Mag with 180 PT's since about 1970. He showed me a film canister with a handful of 180's he's recovered over the years from elk. Usually he takes 2 elk a year and I don't think he has ever gone without. Pretty good track record for the bullet in my opinion.

Last edited by beretzs; 03/27/15.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by beretzs
My elk hunting partner has been running a 300 Win Mag with 180 PT's since about 1970. He showed me a film canister with a handful of 180's he's recovered over the years from elk. Usually he take 2 elk a year and I don't think he has ever gone without. Pretty good track record for the bullet in my opinion.

Yep.

Could be why the Partition is the standard by which others are judged...

DF

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Winchester once developed a bullet called the Fail Safe.

Story taken from the: (Firing Line Forum)

Last year was my third season elk hunting, and the first year that I was successful. But something about that day last fall has been bugging me. I'd like to figure it out before I go out again in October. Bear with me here....

I have a 300 WSM for elk. For ammo, I've been carrying Winchester Supreme 180 grain Fail Safe. Last fall, I got very lucky on opening morning when 7 cows and a bull appeared in the trees 55 yards away from where I was sitting (I paced it off later). After they looked at me for a few seconds, they turned broadside and ran down the hill. As soon as the cows got out of the way, I had an easy (but split-second!) shot between trees at the broadside bull who was just beginning to run. The bullet entered his right side, just behind the shoulder and near the center (top to bottom) of the chest. He ran downhill about 30 yards and dropped.

There was a small entrance wound on the right side, where the bullet passed through a rib. The heart and liver were in good condition, but the lungs were just a mass of jelly and the chest cavity was full of blood. But there was no exit wound on the left side. I wasn't exactly performing an autopsy or searching for the bullet, but I never did come across the bullet or any fragments. And there was NO exit wound. We skinned him out back in camp and still found no exit.

According to the ballistics charts, the bullet was moving about 2800 fps and carrying 3000 ft-lbs of energy when it connected on a medium-sized bull. Did it just break up in the chest cavity? I'm thinking that if the bullet expended ALL of it's energy on the target without exiting, that's a good thing.

Last edited by Adk_BackCountry; 03/27/15.

Oscar Wilde~~
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
But not so good IF you do have to trail it any distance.. Glad you got your bull..

Molon Labe
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
But not so good IF you do have to trail it any distance.. Glad you got your bull..

WyoCoyote, I've yet to take my first elk but the day I do will be a wonderful day to remember.

Oscar Wilde~~
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Adk_BackCountry

WyoCoyote, I've yet to take my first elk but the day I do will be a wonderful day to remember.

I am lucky to have a lot of great memories, but taking an elk, first or my last (not for a long time I hope) will always a great memory for me.

Good luck when you do get the chance.

Semper Fi
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by Adk_BackCountry

I am lucky to have a lot of great memories, but taking an elk, first or my last (not for a long time I hope) will always a great memory for me.

Good luck when you do get the chance.

+1

Last edited by Adk_BackCountry; 03/28/15.

Oscar Wilde~~
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I agree. Good luck!! Elk hunting separates the men from the boys..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

My .300 WM has been set up for 180's for years. I, too, like you bought 200 NPT's from SPS and am working up loads.

I know personally that a 180 NPT will kill an elk, even a big one, but Loonies NEVER leave good enough alone... blush

DF

Ha ha. Isn't that the truth. I hear you about the 180gr. nosler partition. I shot my bull last year with the 300 WSM and 180gr. nosler partition. Worked like a charm. The bull wasn't huge, but it still worked great. Punched right thru the boiler room and the bull slid about 30 ft in the snow. Pretty much DRT...

[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 1lessdog, 57 invisible), 2,484 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,470
Posts18,471,431
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.