Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
I think you're getting sadistic in your old age, Hombre.

I mean, good GRIEF, one opens a post like this and immediately feels and hears his stomach DEMANDING some sorta' reward.

Wish I had a couple or 12 of those to roll up some of this rabbit chili in, tonight.

Is the outfit you're posting about one of those equipped with creaking machines that can be heard, just about the time you first smell the place ?

AHhhh, for the days of the real "Tortilleria"

Those that have never brought their "Warmer" and a clean cotton dish towel or two down to one of those places have missed something rare and kinda' special, ....no ?

GTC

Cross,

Carolina's is legit. Esp the original location.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Carolina's is legit. Esp the original location

Hey, Kent posted this,

....I never had any SHADOW of doubt but that his call outs were "legit".
While you may have missed the gist of what I was azzing around with and laying out, ....I'm just as sure that he understood what I was saying completely.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Cross

Just inputting my opinion to back up OP.

I understood exactly what you were saying regarding the old tortillerias...

No need to get harsh...just friendly advice!

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Yep, Greg and I are riding the same trail... He's been south of the border, south of more than one border, much more than me. But I've been south plenty and understand the vernacular and experience.

Kent

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Seems a few of us have been outside the borders!

Send my best to Jack!

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No need to get harsh

Wow,....Miss Manners is in the room,....everybody make sure their hankies are properly folded,...

...and NO FARTING.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Really?

I have been a guest at your place, seen the gardens, etc etc and this is the result?

Color me confused...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
John, ....this dialogue is pretty damned light, and nobody's lookin' for a fight.

You're among FRIENDS,...park the thin skinned bullchit, and leave it.

GTC

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Lol. Sometimes you are hard to read, sir!

Gotta bring some beers down!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
And...my momma always said to respect my elders! She would still beat me if I didn't!

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's better,....thanks.

GTC

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Roger. A good night to you!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i heard about carolina's years ago from a nephew(s) who were city of phx fireman, a big hangout for them. The orignal place is down in the ghetto, authentic bullet holes in the wall, trashy, all the good ingredients. They have a n.e. location and n.w. location now too. But those tortilla's are made fresh every day.
A mexican dive makes it or breaks it for me based upon the quality of the tortilla's and the beans. She has it right, and i think carolina is still around.
You can get a heck of a meal in there for about half the price of one of the gringo mexican restaurants.
Kent got it right, my idea of heaven would be those hot fresh buttered tortillas combined with that dang fish he has got me addicted too.
Carolina's is one of the "old" style eateries, like the original garcia's in sw. phx, or a couple of others.
This kind of goes back to childhood for me, but firemen typically know where the good stuff is. There was a place for a lot of years called george's ole. The last incantation is now auntychilada's at the point, originally george's. He was a half mexican half indian i think. Built the last one right next to the union fire hall. They use to have a special not on the menu for about five bucks where you basically got one of everything, george was a fireman, and it was kind of a special for fireman and families. Carolina's reminds of that kind of quality.
you are right, and you have me slobbering. If my wife doesn't make it back from prescott this afternoon, i think i know where i am heading.
Few years ago i had this attorney friend from detroit spend a week out here, and he wanted some authentic food. So we went down to the ghetto. He ended up buying about three dozen of those tortilla to air freight back to detroit.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 03/27/15.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by krp
Just to get Ron salivating when he finally sees this post... nothing better than a Carolina's buttered tortilla alone or with fix'ns... they don't jip on size neither.

Kent

[Linked Image]

and a particularly good breakfast sitting there too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You guys are dredging up a lot of great old AZ/Phx experiences (60s and 70s) and memories of the best type. Man, I miss that stuff. Shame on ya'.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by eh76
Originally Posted by EdM
Can't do the butter... The rest looks fine.

I was poor growing up...butter on toast or tortilla was a treat. Love it til this day.

kent grew up kind of like i did, with the mexican influence very heavy. One of my favorite childhood memories was waking up at this farm near chico calif with some of the mexican/indian relatives. And Helen for breakfast had a casserole dish warming in the oven filled with refried beans(made with lard the way they are suppose to be) and fresh homemade tortillas. The way God intended you to start the day.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
No need to get harsh

Wow,....Miss Manners is in the room,....everybody make sure their hankies are properly folded,...

...and NO FARTING.

GTC

Not exactly something I can comply with as I made me some hearty sausage, cabbage and turnip soup for dinner last night. It was a mite windy around here until sometime early this morning grin

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Miss Lynn

Not exactly something I can comply with as I made me some hearty sausage, cabbage and turnip soup for dinner last night. It was a mite windy around here until sometime early this morning grin

Had we been in the same room last night, it would have been interesting to say the least. wink

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
Originally Posted by Miss Lynn

Had we been in the same room last night, it would have been interesting to say the least. wink

grin grin

I wish I had had some leftover for this morning when I figured out Welsh Anglican Priests can be as rude as the next guy....

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
.i staid on the GPS unit and left dipchit sitting in the truck taking notes....his only fuggin job was telling me which shots i needed and write down the elevation and offset i called out on the radio..

Damn, Y'all have a gps unit that does not store the data? We quit keeping written notes back in the 1980's, using a total station unit with a data collector plugged in. Never had to keep notes with a GPS unit. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (222Sako, 16gage, 06hunter59, 22kHornet, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 48 invisible), 2,262 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,398
Posts18,470,078
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.