Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
ekp Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
As you all know I had a smith mount a scope on my 99. At the same time I had him break it down and service the rifle. I figured it had not been done for some time. He told me other than some laquer build up everything was in good shape. The problem seems to be now that I notice a significant increaase in trigger pull. Dry fireing the rifle this increase is not evident. Only loaded with live rounds do I notice the increase.

Is there a problem that some of you may know of?

Thank You for any help

"Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit"

Oscar Wilde
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My 250 R has a pretty stiff pull, and it is almost like a 2 stage military trigger. When I'm at the range I have to take a couple warm up shots just to get me tuned into it, or I'll pull the pattern to the right. If your's was smoother and crisper before he went into I don't know what it is. I'm sure help is on the way, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Shouldn't be any difference between a dry fire and a loaded chamber in regards to the trigger pull.

About the only thing that is safe to do is polish the sear engagement. Remove any metal at all and you start risking gun going "boom" when the safety is on and the gun is dropped/slammed/whatever.

I've never had a trigger worked on and never plan on it. They are what they are. If you want a really nice factory trigger, buy a new bolt action Savage with AccuTrigger.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The trigger pull on the 22-250 I have was about two dwarfs and a midget before I honed it. It's down to a small dog now. It can be done.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Shouldn't be any difference between a dry fire and a loaded chamber in regards to the trigger pull.

About the only thing that is safe to do is polish the sear engagement. Remove any metal at all and you start risking gun going "boom" when the safety is on and the gun is dropped/slammed/whatever.

PLUS 1 on that.

You Can have a Better Trigger How Ever you REALLY NEED TO KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING, and A FIND A SMITH THAT ALSO KNOWS WHAT THERE DOING>

Or as Calhoun-Rory Said KABOOM>

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Yeah, I messed with a couple, with great trepidation. All I dared to do was polish the engagement surfaces on the trigger and the sear with a slipstone and called it good.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
George from Idaho ordinance has done great trigger work 4 me. Hazelton idaho. PM me if you want a phone number or E mail.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

E
ekp Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
[quote=Calhoun]Shouldn't be any difference between a dry fire and a loaded chamber in regards to the trigger pull.

I think there is a perceived differance from dry firing standing and shooting from bench.

Oscar Wilde
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I would go with the more conservative guys here. It is really a bad idea to go farther than polishing the engagement surfaces and applying a lite coat grease. If you look at the parts involved, there is a lot of long leverage and "spring" involved that other rifles that have more compact trigger groups do not have. A good cleaning usually helps a lot. It is unreal what gets down in there.

L
L

I greased the trigger and sear engagement area on my 99R. The apparent trigger pull weight was greatly reduced. Since yours was cleaned, maybe the gunsmith removed some lubricant.

IC B3

E
ekp Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
I did not plan on messing with the trigger. My concern is whether when the gunsmith put it back together if there eas a way it could have increased the pull. The rifle was cleaned and servised. Sitting at the bench concentrating on the trigger probably inflated the apparent pull in my mind. No one notices trigger pull with a deer in front of them.

Oscar Wilde
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ekp
I did not plan on messing with the trigger. My concern is whether when the gunsmith put it back together if there eas a way it could have increased the pull. The rifle was cleaned and servised.

If there was lube, or grime acting as lube on the sear engagement and he cleaned it off then it might be slightly worse. Or if he somehow roughened the surface during his cleaning. But I'd consider that not too likely.

Probably just needs to be shot some to get loosened up. So.. shoot it some more. grin

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Not only the sear/trigger contact surfaces but also all the pivoting surfaces can benefit from a touch of dry lube.

A thin washer between the trigger return flat spring and the lower receiver tang can also reduce trigger pull a bit.

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
Dear EKP:

I use G-96 Oil on the sear engagement for my Savage 99R, and just a little dab of Lubriplate grease.

Big difference.

I believe your trigger sear is too dry. The sear engagement on a Savage 99 is a lot, about 1/8", if memory serves.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

E
ekp Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
I put some Lithium grease on the surface of the sear. I asked for Lubriplate and everyone I talked to looked like they had no idea what I was talking about. Pretty hard to believe no one ever heard of it. Lithium grease (generic) was easier to find.

I also decided to break down my 99 in 300 Savage. What a bear. The stock screw will not budge. I put some Kroil down the hole and going to leave it stand over night to see if it will break loose.

Oscar Wilde
Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
Dear EKP:

To get that stock screw out, I suggest the following.

Get a proper hollow ground screw bit that fits the screw head from Brownells. Fit the bit into a Craftsman or similar 3/8" drive socket used for a hex head/allen screw. The hex of the screw bit will fit perfectly.

Use a long 3/8" drive extension and a 3/8" drive socket wrench, and that bolt will come out like warm butter.

I would place the rifle in a vice with leather over the vise jaws, so you don't mar your bluing.

This is the set up that I use to remove the buttstocks from my Savage 99R, Winchester Model 12, Browning Superposed, etc.

Lubriplate you can obtain from Brownells or from an outboard motor boat shop. Its outboard motor grease, and is the modern replacement for RIG.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Last edited by Yalie; 03/29/15.
E
ekp Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
As to the problem with trigger pull on my 99...I found the root off the problem yesterday. I overlooked one of the fundementals of reloading. Check the length of the shell. I had misplaced my 25 caliber pilot for my trimmer and did a cursory check of the shell and thought I was OK. I had only resized the case 2 or three times. What I found was that some of the cases were over the maximum by quite a lot. When chambering with the lever I was fighting the grip safety on the overlength ones with the trigger. Thus the heavy trigger pull. I have more experience with bolt guns and never had this problem. I did get a new pilot and trimmed the cases and I believe the problem will be solved.

I know this is a stupid mistake but oh well I am human after all.
Also it does seem levers and maybe just 99's are very sensitive to the problem. More attention to this issue is necessary.

Oscar Wilde
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
All's well that ends well.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's a new one on me. Difficulty chambering or closing the bolt on overly long brass I've seen or heard of, but not making the trigger worse.

Definitely let us know for sure if it fixes it. Good luck!

E
ekp Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by Calhoun
That's a new one on me. Difficulty chambering or closing the bolt on overly long brass I've seen or heard of, but not making the trigger worse.

Definitely let us know for sure if it fixes it. Good luck!

It did solve the problem. It became apparent to me when I could not even fire the rifle. I had to actually hit the lever with my hand to make sure the lever was fully closed.

At the range today not only did the trigger pull improve but so did my accuracy. Which when thinking about it makes a lot of sense.

Oscar Wilde
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 160user, 1234, 19rabbit52, 1lessdog, 53 invisible), 2,375 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,859
Posts18,517,785
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.