-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Today I turned another year older and a little dumber.

In the past couple of weeks I've been drooling over some of the Ruger Hawkeye rifles being sold for $499 by cdnnsports.com. Of particular interest were the 20" walnut/blue/iron sight .300 Ruger Compact Magnum and a 22" All-Weather synthetic/stainless .308 Win. Sounded like a good birthday present.

Need had nothing to do with anything as I already have a Ruger Scout in .308 Win, a MKII .300WM and three .30-06s - an M77, a MKII and a Remmy M700. I also have a Ruger All-Weather in .280 Rem. There is nothing I could do with a 22" .308 Win that I can't do with my 22".30-06s and the .280 will shoot considerably flatter with significantly higher retained velocity and energy with similar weight bullets and similar recoil. As a result, and my desire to have a walnut rather than a synthetic .308, the .300RCM was the leading contender. Was, that is, until I verified brass is both scarce and expensive. I found some on Amazon but none at the regular places I shop. The going price seems to be about $1 or a little more per piece and I would want a minimum of 200-300 pieces (a lifetime supply and then some) relatively soon. Then add another $33 for dies, not a bad price but another expense I wouldn't have with the .308 Win. Although I really like the feel of the 20" .300 and.338 RCM Rugers I've handled, the .300RCM couldn't keep up with my 24" .300WM in down range performance. Not to mention that if I bought a rifle I would need another scope. Too bad they didn't have a right hand .375 Ruger or a .223 for $499 instead...

My wonderful wife fully approved my purchase stating we don't always need to be practical. (Love that woman!) Still, I started looking at my other options. One was the Hornady Lock-N-Load progressive press, on sale at Cabelas for $389. That is the best price I've seen and I could get a rebate of 500 bullets of types I already use, the most likely candidate being 180g XTP in .44 caliber. The bullet rebate would be like taking $100 or more off the price of the press. Very, very tempting. I've looked at progressives off and on for a number of years now and every time the opportunity cost has been too high and I end up buying another rifle or handgun instead. Then I started looking at the prices for shell plates ($35 and up) and bushings for my dies and realized once again the cost of the press is just a starting point and that it could/would rapidly become a money pit. I don't do any high volume shooting, my Rock Chucker Supreme keeps me well stocked with handloads and my loading bench really doesn't have room for another press. After considerable thought the opportunity cost once again had me leaning toward another firearm purchase.

The final option was a new scope and I had several options I was looking at. One was a scout-type scope for my .308 Ruger Scout. The advantage would be I could have the factory peep and scout scope (in QR rings) mounted at the same time and free up the Burris 3-9x that is currently mounted for load development, allowing me to replace the Burris 4.5-14x on my 7mm RM and move it to my MKII .223. I considered this to be a win/win/win solution. None of the scout type scopes I looked at did much for me so I started looking at Nikon Prostaff and Burris Fullfield II 3-9x options, both with drop compensating reticles and both $199 at the local Cabelas. I could do a little better on Amazon/eBay/gunbroker, but by the time I added shipping the difference was minimal and I wouldn't be able to swap the scopes and zero the rifles tomorrow. Further, if I couldn't do it tomorrow or next weekend it won't get done for some weeks as I'm due to get a hip replacement in early April. (Antelope and elk hunting should be a lot easier this fall than any time since 2009. This is a good thing.)

In the end I chose the practical route and got yet another Burris Fullfield II 3-9x with Ballistic Plex reticle, giving me seven of the 40mm 3-9x Burris FF-II Ballistic Plex scopes and four of the 42mm 4.5-14xAO variety. While this allowed me to put a drop-compensating scope on my .223, it violated a cardinal rule - never pass up the opportunity to increase the number of rifles in the safe. Doubt I'll ever have a chance at a .300RCM for $499 again. Like I said at the start, I got a little dumber today.

Oh, well, the 3-9x scope is already mounted on my 7mm RM and the 4.5-14 it replaced now sits atop my .223. Tomorrow morning promises to be a fine day weather-wise and I'll be heading to the range to zero both and play with a few other toys. As a friend of mine ("Bestlever" on the old Marlin forums) used to say, "Life is good".

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 03/28/15.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Well,,,, ok, Happy Birthday.

Have Gun Will Travel,, The more dust on the trail- the thicker the soup.
Life Member: NRA, VFW, Six Napoleons
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Happy Birthday!
All good choices!

I won't drink the swirled Kool-Aid
.....well, maybe, if it looks like wood
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Happy Birthday!!! Isn't it nice to have so much to choose from?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Happy birthday! Don't think you could have gone wrong with any of your options. Go shoot!

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I understand the dilema you faced, having been there myself a time or two. Sometimes it's a good idea to just take a breath and think a while, but when there's an good opportunity at hand, perhaps never to be repeated, it's hard to put on the brakes.

After a flurry of buying and selling last year in an attempt to round out and refine my stable, I have decided to just start shooting and enjoying what I have. I managed to pick up some stuff I had been hankering after and also pick up a good, solid .308 for just general shooting and farting around with. I'm not a collector and have pretty much reached the point of having about all I can put to good use. Pretty soon, I'll probably start turning some stuff over to my sons, thus avoiding a lot of contention over the "treasure" when I shuffle off this mortal coil. I suspect that I'll enjoy their use of the stuff I've put together as much as my own.

Happy Birthday.

Last edited by Pappy348; 03/29/15.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Today I turned another year older and a little dumber.

In the past couple of weeks I've been drooling over some of the Ruger Hawkeye rifles being sold for $499 by cdnnsports.com. Of particular interest were the 20" walnut/blue/iron sight .300 Ruger Compact Magnum and a 22" All-Weather synthetic/stainless .308 Win. Sounded like a good birthday present.

Need had nothing to do with anything as I already have a Ruger Scout in .308 Win, a MKII .300WM and three .30-06s - an M77, a MKII and a Remmy M700. I also have a Ruger All-Weather in .280 Rem. There is nothing I could do with a 22" .308 Win that I can't do with my 22".30-06s and the .280 will shoot considerably flatter with significantly higher retained velocity and energy with similar weight bullets and similar recoil. As a result, and my desire to have a walnut rather than a synthetic .308, the .300RCM was the leading contender. Was, that is, until I verified brass is both scarce and expensive. I found some on Amazon but none at the regular places I shop. The going price seems to be about $1 or a little more per piece and I would want a minimum of 200-300 pieces (a lifetime supply and then some) relatively soon. Then add another $33 for dies, not a bad price but another expense I wouldn't have with the .308 Win. Although I really like the feel of the 20" .300 and.338 RCM Rugers I've handled, the .300RCM couldn't keep up with my 24" .300WM in down range performance. Not to mention that if I bought a rifle I would need another scope. Too bad they didn't have a right hand .375 Ruger or a .223 for $499 instead...

My wonderful wife fully approved my purchase stating we don't always need to be practical. (Love that woman!) Still, I started looking at my other options. One was the Hornady Lock-N-Load progressive press, on sale at Cabelas for $389. That is the best price I've seen and I could get a rebate of 500 bullets of types I already use, the most likely candidate being 180g XTP in .44 caliber. The bullet rebate would be like taking $100 or more off the price of the press. Very, very tempting. I've looked at progressives off and on for a number of years now and every time the opportunity cost has been too high and I end up buying another rifle or handgun instead. Then I started looking at the prices for shell plates ($35 and up) and bushings for my dies and realized once again the cost of the press is just a starting point and that it could/would rapidly become a money pit. I don't do any high volume shooting, my Rock Chucker Supreme keeps me well stocked with handloads and my loading bench really doesn't have room for another press. After considerable thought the opportunity cost once again had me leaning toward another firearm purchase.

The final option was a new scope and I had several options I was looking at. One was a scout-type scope for my .308 Ruger Scout. The advantage would be I could have the factory peep and scout scope (in QR rings) mounted at the same time and free up the Burris 3-9x that is currently mounted for load development, allowing me to replace the Burris 4.5-14x on my 7mm RM and move it to my MKII .223. I considered this to be a win/win/win solution. None of the scout type scopes I looked at did much for me so I started looking at Nikon Prostaff and Burris Fullfield II 3-9x options, both with drop compensating reticles and both $199 at the local Cabelas. I could do a little better on Amazon/eBay/gunbroker, but by the time I added shipping the difference was minimal and I wouldn't be able to swap the scopes and zero the rifles tomorrow. Further, if I couldn't do it tomorrow or next weekend it won't get done for some weeks as I'm due to get a hip replacement in early April. (Antelope and elk hunting should be a lot easier this fall than any time since 2009. This is a good thing.)

In the end I chose the practical route and got yet another Burris Fullfield II 3-9x with Ballistic Plex reticle, giving me seven of the 40mm 3-9x Burris FF-II Ballistic Plex scopes and four of the 42mm 4.5-14xAO variety. While this allowed me to put a drop-compensating scope on my .223, it violated a cardinal rule - never pass up the opportunity to increase the number of rifles in the safe. Doubt I'll ever have a chance at a .300RCM for $499 again. Like I said at the start, I got a little dumber today.

Oh, well, the 3-9x scope is already mounted on my 7mm RM and the 4.5-14 it replaced now sits atop my .223. Tomorrow morning promises to be a fine day weather-wise and I'll be heading to the range to zero both and play with a few other toys. As a friend of mine ("Bestlever" on the old Marlin forums) used to say, "Life is good".

Happy birthday buddy!!! Seems you still have your good sense about you. You like those bullet proof Rugers and Burris FFII's with ballistic plex reticles. Good man!!!

Sounds like you have the best thing of all though: A DAMN GOOD UNDERSTANDING WIFE!! laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I don't think you got dumber at all. If it were me I would surely have thought of my idea number 1, whatever it might be, and went and spent my money on that. Then realized, oh crap, now I need to buy this for it, and can't find that for it. And oh, I already have this other rifle to hunt with this year.

Good on you for thinking it through.

Happy Birthday.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The new 3-9 scope worked out great. Unfortunately, I didn't.

Went to the range today with my M77 7mm RM and it's new 3-9, my MKII .223 with the 4.5-14 from the 7mm RM, my Ruger Scout .308, Hawkeye .280 Rem and my Ithaca Model 49 single shot .22 lever gun.

It took about 4 shots to get the .223 where I wanted it. It was shooting bug holes at 100, not bad for a rifle I was going to have rebarrelled because it didn't 52g bullets. It likes 40g BT just fine so that is what I wiil stick with. It I want heavier I'll get my .257 Roberts.

Next up was the 7mm RM. I bore sighted it and then realized I hadn't brought any ammo for it. Dumb.

The .308 shot well enough but I think I'll back off the 208g bullets I was shooting today and use 150g bullets, which seem to shoot better.

The .280 Rem shot a .65" and .90" group with 120g and 140g TTSX respectively but then shot a 3-1/2"" group of six 150g AccuBond. WTF? For some reason I picked up the rifle by the scope and discovered the scope was not only not tight, it was almost fall-off-the-rifle loose. After tightening it shot a 1.03" group with the AccuBond. Much better!

A couple of guys had a stack of factory ammo in .380ACP, .45-ACP, .308 Win and 5.56. Their goal seemed to be to go through it as fast as they could, as in load up multipl e30-round mags and dump them as fast as they could pull the trigger, then repeat. Or load up multiple .45 mags for their Hi-Point carbine and empty them in the same manner. Ditto for the .380 Colt Mustangs. I ended up with a gallon bag of LC and PMC 5.56 brass and half a bag of .380, .45, .308 and .454 Casull. Don't know what I'll do with the .454 other than tumble it clean but the rest I can use. These guys were shooting their .380 Colt Mustangs over an F-1 Chrony. They weren't very good shots and the Chrony now has a .380 hole in the display and the electronics behind it are torn up pretty good, too.

Most of the morning was spent shooting lays off the 100 yard berm with the iron-sighted Ithaca .22. Put about 125 rounds downrange, easily the most .22 I've shot in several years. Destroyed about 12 clays, then shot the larger pieces. Fun city.

Afterwards I moved to the 600 yard range where I put clays up at 400, one at 500 and painted the 1' square steel at 600. It took two shots to bust a clay with the .223 (the first was more or less a guess-and-by-golly sighting round), then two more to but the clay at 500. Really glad I didn't get it rebarrelled. It took two or three shots to ring the steel with the .280 but the last one nailed it about 2" from dead center at a 4 o'clock-ish position. With that I called it a day.

The photo below shows the Chrony that was destroyed. The hole is in the upper right corner of the display. The ammo that remains on the table is a fraction of the .380 ammo they started with - maybe 1/4th.
[Linked Image]

Here are the bags of brass I went home with. The 5.56 is mostly LC and now once-fired PMC. The bag was so full and hard to get closed I didn't open it up to put in a couple more pieces I found. THe smaller bag is a mix of new .380ACP, .45 ACP, .454 Casull and .308 Win.
[Linked Image]

Pretty pleased with the day, just wish I had remembered the 7mm RM ammo. Oh, well, another trip next weekend. wink

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 03/30/15.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Last night I tumbled, sorted and counted the pieces in the small bag:

.380, 411 pieces, brass (mixed)
.380, 50 pieces, nickel (all Speer)
.45ACP, 141 pieces, brass (all Federal)
.454 Casull, 12 pieces, brass (all Hornady)
.308 Win, 20 pieces, brass (all Federal)

.40S&W, 43 pieces, nickel (mixed), probably reloads but the brass looks good.

Haven't done anything with the 5.56 brass but know most is PMC and Lake City. That's a job I'll start tomorrow.

Anyone know how many 5.56 cases you can stuff into a Ziplock gallon-sized bag? Any guesses? I'll guess 550.

IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
You should have bought the lock-n-load press. You would shoot more if it didn't take so long to load.

Dink

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Dink -

You may be right about shooting more If I had a progressive press. Or not, I honestly don’t know, but I have doubts – I don’t shoot competitively (no interest) and so don’t need to turn out large volumes of ammo on a regular basis. I’m more into load development and shooting for accuracy and don’t see that changing. I doubt I'll ever mistreat a barrel by dumping a 20- or 30-round mag through it, let alone several mags in succession. To the contrary, I very rarely do rapid fire. Even then the strings are limited to 3-5 rounds in the AR's, starting with a cold barrel. On rare occasion I’ll dump a full mag through my centerfire semi-auto handguns to check function, but that is only 6-13 rounds.

FWIW, I tumbled the 5.56 brass I picked up on Sunday, then counted the pieces. There were 743, give or take a couple, which roughly answers the question I posed above about how many you could stuff into a gallon-sized Ziplock bag. That makes over 1280 pieces of once-fired brass (mostly 5.56, .380 and .45 in that order) I picked up after watching two other guys empty mags as fast as they could fill them. With the Rock Chucker that is many hours of reloading. Much of that time, though, is spent on brass prep, which a progressive won’t help with to any significant degree.

Bench space remains a problem, though, and with over 6,000 centerfire rounds already loaded up, I generally only load 50-400 rounds in a session. Call it an hour or three, five or six times a year. Just not convinced a progressive would really gain me anything except different headaches and a thinner wallet.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (257robertsimp, 7mm_Loco, 14idaho, 10gaugemag, 14 invisible), 1,230 guests, and 750 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,684
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.