Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"In this case I bought the story as well as the gun."

The stories in conjunction with the guns have moved me for years. That reminds me I need to write then down for the next generation or the stories will be lost in time.

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know how it is in Canada, but my view in the states is that future generations, for the most part, won't give a darn about the things we do. frown

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The loss of history or a sense of being in HISTORY or playing a small part of history by coming generations may be our responsibility as caretakers in this age.

I for one would feel horribly disappointed if my boys lost all sense of my appreciation of an upland bird, namely the ruffed grouse, the sport and tradition of wing shooting, fine double shotguns and crazy birddogs.

If future generations lost all sense of heritage regarding hunting [the writing of William Harden Foster comes to mind] then we have not properly conveyed our passion for chosen game sports and firearms.

Last edited by olgrouser; 03/28/15.

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We're competing with electronic devices.

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Nice nice gun, my friend. The word "unique" is overused, but it fits in this case.

Rod

Hunting FOR Savages, Hunting WITH Savages
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fantastic acquisition Steve! Let me know how it works on tigers and elephants. grin

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
If we all can't see it, we're blind. We can raise our children and "expose" them to what we like. Hunting and fishing is something we do with them and make it fun. 9 times out of 10 if you're raised with it and it has been made "fun", it will continue. The tools YOU choose or WHAT you choose to hunt may very well NOT be the offspring's choice. My son, for instance, could care less about a Savage lever. He likes Remington pumps, old OR new. I love hunting pheasants, deer, and turkeys basically. HIS passion is rabbits, deer and turkeys. In that order. When I go, I can only hope that what I have dets disposed of properly.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Like the photo too. Reminds me of a calender Brown&Sharp gave out one year. If you looked close at all the workers, most were missing thumbs or fingers! It was a rough business back then.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
That gun is really neat, LBK. How did Mr. Clark regulate the barrels?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
That gun is really neat, LBK. How did Mr. Clark regulate the barrels?

Well now. That would have to be a question you'd have to ask Mr> Clark................. wink wink So far as I can see the barrels are a combination of soft solder and silver solder. Beyond that, I can't tell you much. Seeing as though I plan on taking a bear with it this fall, the rifle is currently at an excellent gunsmiths being completely checked out. JTC never shot it so I have no history. Before I shoot it in the field, I need to know everything is right.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm sure it is fine, given its history.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
NEVER take anything for granted.............

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm not saying that! I'm saying given who built it, I'm sure it'll pass muster!

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
you could shoot 2 1/2" 410 shells in it, might be a bit heavy for wing shooting !! grin

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I'm not saying that! I'm saying given who built it, I'm sure it'll pass muster!

Just because a man knows history does NOT make him a gun builder. How many engineers have you heard of that said "I" built that when in fact a whole team of metal men actually did and never got any credit? This is the first "custom" gun I have ever bought and just like someone else's reloads, I will NOT trust it. The smith I am using is a master. He's in his 80's and about as meticulous as anyone I have known. When I load for it it will be to trap door specs. 1 bear hunt and it's done. You guys are right. It's BEYOND cool and I am lucky to have it.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
If we all can't see it, we're blind. We can raise our children and "expose" them to what we like. Hunting and fishing is something we do with them and make it fun. 9 times out of 10 if you're raised with it and it has been made "fun", it will continue. The tools YOU choose or WHAT you choose to hunt may very well NOT be the offspring's choice. My son, for instance, could care less about a Savage lever. He likes Remington pumps, old OR new. I love hunting pheasants, deer, and turkeys basically. HIS passion is rabbits, deer and turkeys. In that order. When I go, I can only hope that what I have dets disposed of properly.

I like the way you are thinking. I did not enjoy hunting for awhile when I was young because it was not fun. It had been turned into something very stressful and most of the enjoyment was taken out of it. Been making up for it the last 10-15 years.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by olgrouser
The loss of history or a sense of being in HISTORY or playing a small part of history by coming generations may be our responsibility as caretakers in this age.

I for one would feel horribly disappointed if my boys lost all sense of my appreciation of an upland bird, namely the ruffed grouse, the sport and tradition of wing shooting, fine double shotguns and crazy birddogs.

If future generations lost all sense of heritage regarding hunting [the writing of William Harden Foster comes to mind] then we have not properly conveyed our passion for chosen game sports and firearms.

Nicely said.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Steve, is that you standing by the window? It's about time you have something big enough to shoot deer with. Looks like a winner.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BIG_JOE
Steve, is that you standing by the window? It's about time you have something big enough to shoot deer with. Looks like a winner.

Yeah, that was me Joe. NICE to hear from you. I'm glad you like the rifle. Steeped in history. I'm desperately trying to figure out how to put a lever on it. I figure two rounds from the 45-70 will clear enough lumber so I can use the 22HP to end the deal. Hey, don't be a stranger. smile smile

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Its got a lever on it!!! on the top,it moves sideways ! smile

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (1Akshooter, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,453 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,450
Posts18,489,657
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.