Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
[Linked Image]

Is that the half inch drive?

I think sherp is anxious to get his hands on that...

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Ask Will about his deer scouting drone.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
tatsoul Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Ask Will about his deer scouting drone.

[Linked Image]

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seriously, tatsoul, do you have a deer scouting drone?

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by tatsoul

i dont need hunting lessons or did i remember asking for them.i only asked if there was a low light difference between a swarvo z3 and z5.in most of my hunting applications i dont have time to check a buck with binos than grab gun than shoot.when i see brown i wanna grab my gun size him.up and shoot if hes a shooter.the last buck i killed this year was at 300 yards in a cutover.
didnt realize so many people was so sensitive to there specific name brand.i have killed some good deer with the terra i just want something a little better.sorry for asking you guys for an opinion.

Tatsoul,

Keep in mind that a lot of guys on this forum are western and midwest hunters that don't hunt in similar situations to those from the deep south that hunt nocturnal deer over food plots. They're giving you advice from their point of view and can't figure out why a decent scope like the terra wouldn't be good enough for anyone.

I hunt in Mississippi in a similar manner. I've got a couple of original zeiss conquests (similar to the terra), a swarovski AV 3-10x42 (similar to the Z3) and several leupolds, and have had one of the FX-3 6x42's that everyone keeps touting. They don't sit on the rifles I hunt mississippi whitetails with though, Those rifles have a meopta meostar 3-12x56 and a swarovski PV 2.5-10x56 on them, both with german #4 reticles. They're the "hubbles" that everyone likes to laugh about.

Thing is though, the hubbles work and work well. There is a difference you can tell at last light and I've killed deer with them that I wouldn't have killed with a lesser scope. Not many, most I could have killed with any other scope, but enough to make them worthwhile. A FX-3 leupold might work fine at last light for a 300 yd shot on a buck in an open field in Iowa, but stick that same deer 200 yds. away standing 20' into the edge of a pine thicket scent checking a food plot at last light and that scope might as well be a cardboard tube. Situations like that are where a higher powered big objective scope with good glass shine.

The terra has good glass, the Z3 & Z5 a little better but frankly they're not enough better to really make any difference. If you want a significant increase in low light performance you'll have to go to one of the big objective scopes from Swarovski, S&B, Zeiss, or Meopta with either heavy reticle like the German #4 or an illuminated reticle. All of those except the meopta are going to be over your $1600 budget, the Meopta 3-12x56 can be had for around $900 without an illuminated reticle and a couple hundred more than that for illumination.

IC B2

T
tatsoul Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

i dont need hunting lessons or did i remember asking for them.i only asked if there was a low light difference between a swarvo z3 and z5.in most of my hunting applications i dont have time to check a buck with binos than grab gun than shoot.when i see brown i wanna grab my gun size him.up and shoot if hes a shooter.the last buck i killed this year was at 300 yards in a cutover.
didnt realize so many people was so sensitive to there specific name brand.i have killed some good deer with the terra i just want something a little better.sorry for asking you guys for an opinion.

Tatsoul,

Keep in mind that a lot of guys on this forum are western and midwest hunters that don't hunt in similar situations to those from the deep south that hunt nocturnal deer over food plots. They're giving you advice from their point of view and can't figure out why a decent scope like the terra wouldn't be good enough for anyone.

I hunt in Mississippi in a similar manner. I've got a couple of original zeiss conquests (similar to the terra), a swarovski AV 3-10x42 (similar to the Z3) and several leupolds, and have had one of the FX-3 6x42's that everyone keeps touting. They don't sit on the rifles I hunt mississippi whitetails with though, Those rifles have a meopta meostar 3-12x56 and a swarovski PV 2.5-10x56 on them, both with german #4 reticles. They're the "hubbles" that everyone likes to laugh about.

Thing is though, the hubbles work and work well. There is a difference you can tell at last light and I've killed deer with them that I wouldn't have killed with a lesser scope. Not many, most I could have killed with any other scope, but enough to make them worthwhile. A FX-3 leupold might work fine at last light for a 300 yd shot on a buck in an open field in Iowa, but stick that same deer 200 yds. away standing 20' into the edge of a pine thicket scent checking a food plot at last light and that scope might as well be a cardboard tube. Situations like that are where a higher powered big objective scope with good glass shine.

The terra has good glass, the Z3 & Z5 a little better but frankly they're not enough better to really make any difference. If you want a significant increase in low light performance you'll have to go to one of the big objective scopes from Swarovski, S&B, Zeiss, or Meopta with either heavy reticle like the German #4 or an illuminated reticle. All of those except the meopta are going to be over your $1600 budget, the Meopta 3-12x56 can be had for around $900 without an illuminated reticle and a couple hundred more than that for illumination.
Thank you for your reply.Them woods get real dark in a hurry and Alabama does not have a half hour sunset law it just states during daylight hours.I looked at the Meopta just never heard of them untill i started researching scopes.Ill probably pull the trigger on the z5 52mm and be done with it.I really like the idea of the BT reticle and do not like the Rapid Z concept.They give you an ideal magnification and when i looked it up for my 308 loads my optimum power was 6x.Thats a joke in a 500 yard cutover.Raising the power breaks up the numbers into weird yardages and i really dont wanna have a cheat sheet taped to gun i have to look at before making a shot.I would rather range dial and shoot.Usually have about a 30 second window maybe a little less on a buck scent checking the outskirts of a food plot.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Waste of your good money, if your serious about this you should research the Victory HT 3-12 x 56. It has been posted here before that the Z5 is really not any better than a top end Bushnell. I think Ringman did the study, but what ever floats your boat.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
If you can't get it done with a 6x42 Leupold or Meopro with a Nazi #4 or HD, you can't get it done. I don't give a [bleep] if the woods are in Chipola Florida, Liberty Mississippi or Klawock Alaska.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Fk it...get FLIR [Linked Image]

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You might want a illuminated scope or maybe send the scope back and have it checked out. Could be just a bad scope. Go to the store and compare your scope to a new one.

IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
Not sure how one could recognize how good a deer was, with the naked eye, and NOT see it much better (at last legal), with almost ANY decent scope these days. Leupold, Burris, Sightron, Vortex, Nikon, Minox, Zeiss, even Bushnell......all work to well AFTER legal, and I'm sure spending another $1k-$1500 will make a difference. ??? The optometrist comment might be worth taking seriously, and the crow dinner might be cheaper than a Swaro or 789mm objective, that doesn't work, either.

The above was based on 34+ years of hunting deer all over Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, Louisiana, Kentucky, and Tennessee. If you WANT a different scope, go for it. If you or anyone else thinks it'll help you kill deer you couldn't kill/see/judge, than a slew of $300-$600 scopes will, then I guess some folks draw confidence from different things. Trying to convince others of that belief, is another matter. Fact is, hubbles haven't done anything any better in low light than any scope with a smaller objective, in 20 years. Hell, if I had $ to burn, I might splurge wantonly, but I'd rather shoot up a grand, if I gotta choose. Either way, I wouldn't deal with much over 40mm

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Maybe he needs night vision and a claymore near his bait site/food plot. I dunno but he sure is a thin skinned critter.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Fact is, hubbles haven't done anything any better in low light than any scope with a smaller objective, in 20 years. Hell, if I had $ to burn, I might splurge wantonly, but I'd rather shoot up a grand, if I gotta choose. Either way, I wouldn't deal with much over 40mm

Perhaps your eyes are so good you see nearly the same in dark as day. My experience is that the 52mm objective has certainly helped me in low light to verify antlers are either branched (legal) or a spike (illegal). One of my friends can see as well without binoculars as most folks can with 7X binoculars. His low light vision is outrageous, also.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I'm thinking there's some physics/science, that you're unaware of? Unless you're gonna deal with adjustable cheek pieces, the ratios/percentages that are any different, aren't enough to discern....but enough to miss. BTW, I'll put up a big sky 6x42 against darn near anything, for low light resolution. It's been several years ago, with a 30-yr old scope, since a scope even made a shot at dark 'hard', much less kept me from identifying. All you gotta do is discern a fork?😄 Heck, I cull some places where I have to discern between 14" and 15", and age. 0-300+, woods or open, it's usually done with less than 8x, mostly 1.5-6x, and binos or even spotters, dark to dark. Shoot the hogs by moonlight, same rigs. If you believe in huge lenses, shoot them. I just mostly don't.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 03/30/15.
T
tatsoul Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
ordered the z5 5x25x52 yesterday.1725 out the door.Thanks for all the ones who gave opinions.I think i will be happy with it and it will do what i need it to do.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
tatsoul,

Don't forget to let us know what you think about it.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
My 2 cents, I own.
2 Nightforce NXS 5.5x25x56
1 Nightforce NXS 2.5x10x42
1 Leupold VX6 3x18x50
2 Zeiss Victory 3x12x56T and
1 Zeiss Hensoldt ZF 6x24x72
and about 25 other scopes. Other than the Hensoldt, I have gone through the trouble of setting these up next to each other for testing many many times and I still can not positively tell you that one is better than the other. I also have a couple of Zeiss Conquest that I still hunt with at times. I also bought my son two Meopta's and although I don't own one I like S+B. I think it's like owning a Chevrolet, Ford or Dodge. It's about personal choice. They are all great. The Leupold VX6 is an amazing scope and deserves much more recognition than it is getting.

But just for the record. When I go hunting I usually grab my old 7mm STW with the Zeiss 3x12x56 on it.But I am slowly changing to the Leupold VX6.

Last edited by Zr10054; 03/31/15.

Don't mess with me, I'm too old to fight, too fat to run, so I going to have to kill you.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When someone goes to the ophthalmologist they ask US:

"Which is better, A or B? cool

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

[Linked Image]

Nice hat. Jamaica mon?

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

Tatsoul,

I've hunted the 'Hubbles' with a 56mm and and a Leupold VX6 with a 44 mm. Even after sunset, I prefer the VX6. It aint the size as much as it is the glass, coatings and internal glare with rifle scopes IME. Everything is a series of concessions. As said above, I will pick out antlers with bins anyway. No since in waving a rifle at something you are not sure of.

A big, heavy, hubble on a dedicated deer stand rifle where you walk 100 yards from your ATV or pickup...ok. Sure.

The last 'Hubble'. Son adopted it along with the rifle:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 1Deernut; 04/01/15.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (1Akshooter, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 55 invisible), 2,408 guests, and 908 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,802
Posts18,496,340
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.