Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Found this lump on my dogs neck earlier. 99% sure it just showed up today. He's a 4 yr old Cocker Spaniel. He had his yearly rabies shot Saturday morning, could this be a side effect? Should I even be worried? It doesn't seem to bother him and he's acting normal.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

GB1

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Probably where it got the shot.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It's likely just a reaction to the vaccine which usually goes away in a few weeks. If it gets larger and/or feels hot/soft then you'll want to take him back in as there's always the small chance that an abscess formed following the vaccination.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
vets don't give rabies shots in the neck, could be what they call fatty tissue

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by gemby58
vets don't give rabies shots in the neck

The shots aren't supposed to be given in the "neck" but that's not always the case (or possible). The shots are given under the skin so where swelling shows up doesn't necessarily coincide with where the vaccine was actually given especially if the vaccine causes any of the local lymph nodes to swell.

Spider bites often look similar, but the course of action is also the same in terms of waiting to see what happens as long as the dog is acting normally.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Our dog is full of those "fatty tissue" lumps to the point she's like a walking sack of taters. She's getting on up in years though, having recently turned 10. Vet doesn't seem concerned and they haven't changed much over the past couple of years.

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Paladin

Our dog is full of those "fatty tissue" lumps to the point she's like a walking sack of taters. She's getting on up in years though, having recently turned 10. Vet doesn't seem concerned and they haven't changed much over the past couple of years.

Since it showed up right after a vaccination, it's likely related to the vaccine and not a fatty lipoma as they usually don't grow that quickly...

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Rabies vax is given IM. (muscle of the rump)

DHLP is sub-Q. Did the dog get DHLP (distemper) too?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by ironbender
Rabies vax is given IM. (muscle of the rump)

DHLP is sub-Q. Did the dog get DHLP (distemper) too?

While some rabies vaccines can be given IM virtually all can be given subcutaneously and the majority of vets do it that way as it creates less injection site swelling. While it's supposed to be given in the right rear leg area some vets don't for a variety of reasons. It could also be a reaction to the distemper vaccine if the dog received one as you mentioned.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr6006a1.htm?mobile=nocontent#table-1

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Interesting. Never seen nor heard of Rabies vax given subQ in dogs, horses or cats.

I guess it's done though.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by ironbender
Interesting. Never seen nor heard of Rabies vax given subQ in dogs, horses or cats.

I guess it's done though.

As the link shows it really depends on which brand of vaccine is being used as you have to use it according to label. Many older vets still give rabies IM but most younger ones give it subQ as it helps mitigate the risk of vaccine site swelling, and potentially vaccine induced sarcoma in cats as well. Virtually all the newer vaccines are SQ only for the same reasons.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, I noticed the change. Always used to be IM and now always subcutaneous. The dogs like it better too.

Not a vet but one of my dogs caused me to do some research. If you find a lump/lesion keep an eye on it. If it starts growing or changing quickly see a vet immediately. I did that and the vet was able to excise the cancer entirely. He (the dog, not the vet but I haven't checked him smile ) had fatty tumors too which were benign and I learned to identify. Well defined lumps, moves with the skin, no lesion, very slow growing. In fact my 15 year old ratter has developed a couple over the last few years.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
but most younger ones give it subQ as it helps mitigate the risk of vaccine site swelling

I imagine it helps mitigate the risk of getting bitten too. grin

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Perhaps call the vet?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I talked to the Vet this morning. He wasn't sure what it was, said it could be a number of things ranging from the rabies shot, allergic reaction, insect/spider bite to a whole bunch of other stuff. He told me to keep an eye on it for a few days and if it got bigger or if it started bothering him to bring him in. He didn't really seem worried about it since they had just looked him over Saturday when they gave him the shot. Thanks to all who responded!

B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Our four month old fiest/jack russel mix had his 2 month shots and had a similar reaction. Took about 2-3 weeks to go down. He is fine. His shot was on the side just in front of the rump.

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Paladin

We have a 10 year old pointing griffon with the same issue. Doesn't seem to be a problem, and they haven't changed much.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

500 members (10Glocks, 160user, 219DW, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 59 invisible), 12,911 guests, and 1,508 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,048
Posts18,540,794
Members74,053
Most Online21,066
07:15 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.