Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
They did this last year and they're continuing it, which makes me happy. No surprises for the top 4, but some big surprises on the bottom...BMW...only Can-Am is lower than BMW.

11,000 bikes over a 4 year period, and the results are displayed in % of bikes that will encounter a "major" repair in a 4 year period.

Reliablity by brand
Brand Percent failed
Yamaha/Star- 11%
Suzuki - 12
Honda - 12
Kawasaki - 15
Victory - 17
Harley-Davidson - 26
Triumph - 29
Ducati - 33
BMW - 40
Can-Am - 42

HOWEVER - Harley Davidson ranks highest in owner satisfaction.
https://www.yahoo.com/autos/s/makes-most-reliable-motorcycle-100025261.html

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Because, when you analyze the list, you'll note that those bikes above HD are mostly cruisers or crotch rockets.. Most HDs are like a good Lazy-Boy chair; one can ride that sumbish from 6:00 am - 10:00 pm and not feel like you've been run over by a cement truck, nor have ones knees fitted for grease zerks..

And I would bet the median age of HD owners are well in their 50s - where knees cannot take the hunched-over crotchies without needing a pry-bar to dismount..

BTDT, when I was young.. laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yeah but with the upper list you do have sport bikes who have their damn guts run out. A jap bike can't be beat for reliability.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Redneck
Because, when you analyze the list, you'll note that those bikes above HD are mostly cruisers or crotch rockets.. Most HDs are like a good Lazy-Boy chair; one can ride that sumbish from 6:00 am - 10:00 pm and not feel like you've been run over by a cement truck, nor have ones knees fitted for grease zerks..

And I would bet the median age of HD owners are well in their 50s - where knees cannot take the hunched-over crotchies without needing a pry-bar to dismount..

my expirence doesn't jive with this.every time I would go ride with HD's,they would get off stiff and sore,while I was perfectly comfortable,this after only 100 miles or so.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm surprised the Honda # is that high. I would have thought it to be in the single digits.

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Bought my first Suzuki 30+ years ago. Great bike a GS750. Rode it for 10-12 years and a whole lot of miles.

Currently riding a 2009 Suzuki 650 V-Strom. Rugged & reliable twin that weighs less than 500 pounds, delivers 55 mpg routinely, up to 63 mpg at times. Gets up and GOES pretty doggone well, particularly for a mid-size motor. Entirely trouble free for six years now. I only put about 4,000 - 5,000 miles a year on 'em, but sometimes take the bikes for 1,500 - 3,000 mile tours. I don't stick to pavement. Lots of dirt miles for this particular Suzy. Longest day in the saddle was 800 miles, which I'll admit was about 100 miles too far for this rider, in my late 50's.

Ya know, the absolute reliability of a Japanese built bike anymore is pretty incredible. Then again, in my experience, it always has been good.

Regards, Guy

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by fluffy
Originally Posted by Redneck

my expirence doesn't jive with this.every time I would go ride with HD's,they would get off stiff and sore,while I was perfectly comfortable,this after only 100 miles or so.
Let's see how you do after 750 miles.. laugh laugh

Besides, when ya reach the 50's+ you can get stiff for absolutely NO reason at all.

Originally Posted by seal_billy
Yeah but with the upper list you do have sport bikes who have their damn guts run out. A jap bike can't be beat for reliability.
In some cases, I fully agree. Before I got my first HD Ultra Classic (2005) I rode an '87 Kawasaki Voyager 1300 for eighteen years before I traded it for the HD. The only repair was a couple of switches on the handlebar during that entire time.

Two reasons I got rid of it; (1) IF I would have needed some serious repairs I'd have a helluva time finding parts and (2) the Voyager had only one position for the feet - while the HD I could add the highway pegs and stretch out my knees..

Riding from here to Sturgis (600+ miles) on the Voyager got to be painful. But I've put 735 miles one time on the HD and wasn't all that tired at the end of the day..

Your buds, fluffy, might have been on other models of HDs that may not be quite as comfy. I did have a 2004 Sportster 1200 for a couple years. After 20 miles I hadda get off and walk around.. Man, that was a truly uncomfortable/stiff ride..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I can always tell when HD riders are out for a group ride. By the chase truck following them, to pick up the strays.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rode straight through from Bar Harbor, Maine to Jacksonville, Fla. on my Road King stopping only for one meal, gas and towards the end a bottle of water.

Comfort city.

Metric riders would have needed a freakin' chiropractor at the end.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The last time I went to Vegas I rented a HD VROD
I was cruising around Red Rocks and saw a broken down Honda I stopped to take a picture.
Funny part was it was brand new CBR 1000 which I admit is a cool bike.
His cell phone wasn't working either.
He had a friend on another Honda so I suggested he hop on the back and his friend could take him into town to get help. He said if he carried a passenger the back fender would break off. They are just for looks.
It was all I could do to keep from laughing. No Hondas for me Thank You very much.

IC B3

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Sorry, you lost me at "I rented a VROD"

Lol

smile

Something clever here.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bought my '97 HD Heritage Springer brandy new in November '96. Still have it. Harley shop owner near where I work found out I had it when I was asked to handle communications for a function we were throwing featuring HD's.
Showed it to him in present state and explained work I'd had done to it over the years to get it where it is today. Guy told me to never sell it.

Had several nice Jap bikes when I was younger. Never had any complaints about them, but if I was going for a longer ride I'd want a Harley or my Dad's Gold Wing.

Last edited by local_dirt; 04/09/15.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Had to see what all the hype was about.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I understand, just foolin with ya.

grin

Note the Victory ranking on the list, not too shabby!

I agree with redneck and others on the cushy ride of some of the bigger HD cruisers.

My last HD was a road king classic, which had air ride. Really nice ride as someone else here noted.

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I see a lot of the Can Am 3 wheel bikes here around in my neck of the woods in Alabama.
Did not know they had that bad a record!

Molan Labe
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by AMRA
I see a lot of the Can Am 3 wheel bikes here around in my neck of the woods in Alabama.
Did not know they had that bad a record!

I really, really do not like the reverse trike bikes.

Yuck.

sick

Now THIS, is a bike.

[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What constitutes a major repair?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dave, Nice! That's my bike. But, it looks like this now for around town and short hops. I've got a pack that slips over the backrest real nice.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Dave, Nice! That's my bike. But, it looks like this now for around town and short hops. I've got a pack that slips over the backrest real nice.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's what I'm talking about!

Beautiful!

You said you have been doing stuff to yours over the years, I'll have to hear some details sometime. I did send you a PM too, so if you have any details you would care to share you could do it by PM too.

Very nice bike.

Something clever here.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
where da ammo cans?

Originally Posted by northern_dave
[Linked Image]

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

120 members (35, 338Rules, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 12 invisible), 1,589 guests, and 917 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,092
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.