Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
jdbfish Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Hello everyone, I'm not looking to start a big debate or why one brand/caliber is better than another, I just need some honest hands on opinion the Ruger American rifles. I've had 2 come and go thru my hands without firing one of them. They seem to be well made with a nice feel especially for the price. I had one in the predator version (6.5 creed) and one standard 22in (308) that I shoulda, coulda, woulda shot but traded them before I got the chance, ( I know, I know silly me). Wondering what everyone's thoughts are on these rifles, how they shoot, handle, operate, etc. I'm considering trying to get a compact version in 223 but kind of on the fence so please help me out. Thanks folks!!!!

There is only one dumb question; " why didn't I ask about that?"

My idea of a trophy deer or hog mount is chicken fried, on my plate, ready to eat!
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I have the Predator in 223 and it flat out shoots. I've tried 50 grain bullets thru the 75 A-Max and finding an accurate load for all of them was easy. I did buy a Boyds laminate stock to replace the factory synthetic. It's impressed me enough I plan on adding a 6.5 Creedmore and 25-06 to the safe.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 28lx
I did buy a Boyds laminate stock to replace the factory synthetic.

Any issues with these stocks for your rifle? Planning on buying one for mine in 30/06.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
we love our three,havent had much time to play with them lately

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have three RAR Predators; 204, 223, and 6.5 Creedmoor. The 204 is very accurate and if the others are equally accurate, I'll be very happy with MOA accuracy with factory ammo for under $400.

I view the RARs as being "use as is" rifles that I don't expect to upgrade or build around. Now that the Marlin X guns have been discontinued, I'd give the RARs my vote for being the best in class.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Now that the Marlin X guns have been discontinued, I'd give the RARs my vote for being the best in class.

Too bad Remington didn't pick up the X7s and flog them off instead of those 770s and 710s. They are pretty good rifles. I have a NIB 223 sporter in the safe.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I think that the 783 is Remington's version of the Marlin X guns.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I bought a 223 Compact. Liked it enough to buy a 308 standard. The 308 is perfectly acceptable shooting most loads into about 1 MOA or a hair more. The 223 is a tack driver. With good ammo it is a .5-.75 MOA shooter, and it shoots cheap 5.56 FMJ ammo close to 1 MOA.

I got mine when they were selling for around $350, they have gone up a bit in price, but I still consider them a good value for a cheap gun. I have other much nicer guns that I'd trust more on an out of state hunt that was costing me money. But for local hunts after meat they are hard to beat.

I don't see anything wrong with the stock that 10 minutes with a file or sand paper won't fix. They are free floated, but I gave both of mine a very generous free float so there is no way the barrel can touch the stock. Spending money for the laminated stocks turns a $350 rifle into a $500 rifle that weighs a lot more and doesn't shoot or look a bit better. If I had a $500 budget I think there are better choices.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They need to offer the .25-06 to get any of my money.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Boxer reported that he had ordered a Boyds stock for his RAR Ranch Rifle and I'd like to read his impression of the stock. I think that the extent of my modifications will be a Krylon custom paint job.

Locally, Wal-Mart is selling 700 ADL package guns with a cheap 3-9x40 scope for $375, bringing them down to the RAR's OTD cost neighborhood.

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
My experience is most Ruger American Rifles shoot right out of the box, though some require a little work with a round rasp on the forend channel. The trigger isn't the best in the world but is pretty good. Usually it adjusts down to 3 pounds, but on some rifles it goes a little lower.

The only problem I've seen is some of the magazines are little short for some bullets. But some are plenty long. The magazine for the .243, for instance, is 2.95", enough to seat 105 Berger VLD's to the lands and still have a little room left over.

So far I've managed to restrain myself from spending extra money or time on "fixing" these rifles, because in I don't think they need much fixing, if any. But some rifle loonies apparently can't help it.

Some shooters get offended because they think RAR's are cheap and ugly, but cheap and ugly rifles that shoot accurately are actually an old American tradition. If anybody doesn't believe that I can provide plenty of examples.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
My experience is most Ruger American Rifles shoot right out of the box, though some require a little work with a round rasp on the forend channel. The trigger isn't the best in the world but is pretty good. Usually it adjusts down to 3 pounds, but on some rifles it goes a little lower.

The only problem I've seen is some of the magazines are little short for some bullets. But some are plenty long. The magazine for the .243, for instance, is 2.95", enough to seat 105 Berger VLD's to the lands and still have a little room left over.

So far I've managed to restrain myself from spending extra money or time on "fixing" these rifles, because in I don't think they need much fixing, if any. But some rifle loonies apparently can't help it.

Some shooters get offended because they think RAR's are cheap and ugly, but cheap and ugly rifles that shoot accurately are actually an old American tradition. If anybody doesn't believe that I can provide plenty of examples.

Well said!

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

I can see how modifying a RAR has the potential for morphing it into a more expensive rifle a few dollars at a time, like my $1K Swedish Mauser build. From a perfectly good $150 donor to $1K stone soup gun just a few more $$ at a time.

Cheap, ugly, and accurate sounds like the Remington 721/722 and 788?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Cheap, ugly, and accurate sounds like the Remington 721/722 and 788?

Yep, and the Savage 10/110s, Savage 340s, NEF/H&R break-actions, 760/7600s (back when they were cheap), and a few others.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have been thinking of getting one in LEFT HAND to try. They just may be Rugers version of the Remington 788

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I had to pick from their current offerings the 7mm-08 would be the winner.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I would like to get my Granddaughters each a compact in 7mm-08 but that short barrel must be a flame thrower.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by coyote268
I would like to get my Granddaughters each a compact in 7mm-08 but that short barrel must be a flame thrower.

I would bet it isn't as bad with the short barrel as you may think

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

... The magazine for the .243, for instance, is 2.95", enough to seat 105 Berger VLD's to the lands and still have a little room left over.

2.95" with the 1/9 is attractive in the .243. If it was 1/8 it would be irresistible, but 1/9 is pretty good.

So far I've held off on getting one, but I'll probably end up with a .243 or .223 before it's done.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have a Predator in 223, it shoots...

I also have a couple of modified mags by Cotis, with are well worth getting...

overall I feel the mag is a week point, as is lack of being able to single feed them easily...

after shooting mine for a while, I pick up my old trusty Rem ADL in 223, with the synthetic stock... and feel like I am handling a Cadillac...

If being able to purchase a Marlin or an ADL in the same price range... I'd go with either over the RAR...

The older Savage 110s or the Stevens 200s are a much better rifle in my opinion...

The only real thing going for the RAR in 223 is a fast 1 in 8 twist... other than that...I prefer any of the above mentioned rifles..

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (257Bob, 1minute, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 204guy, 74 invisible), 2,327 guests, and 1,361 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,684
Posts18,493,949
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.