Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Having used a pretty big spectrum of hunting bullets on game and reading the notes of their performance in my reloading manuals. It appears that fast expansion and even a bit of shrapnel Kills a bit to a lot quicker than the bullets that retain a lot of their weight. And even more horrifying it appears that certain brands of cup and core bullets are very fast killers of game if placed in the ribs. Ballistic Tips, Gamekings, Interloks and Hotcors in the midweights really seem to put game on the ground fast.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't disagree with your statement, however, this forum is "ask the gun writers".

Do you have a question ?

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Believe the man is just starting up a friendly conversation grumpy pants.

I've noticed similar results specific to deer but id not want to use such bullets exclusively due to the possibility of odd angles requiring more penetration, to say nothing of torn up meat.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I like soft bullets for soft game.

------------------------------

The APE

"But resist we much...we must...and we will much...about...that...be committed." - the "Reverend" Al Sharpton
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
There is no doubt that softer (even explosively soft) bullets will "kill" much faster than more controlled expansion bullets.......as long as they penetrate enough to reach the vitals. That isn't much penetration on a broadside rib shot, particularly on deer size game.

The "problem" comes when the game gets bigger or the angle of the shot isn't perfectly broadside. Even on a "perfect" broadside shot, a really soft bullet can fail if the shot isn't precisely placed. Hit a shoulder bone and that minimal penetration may not be enough. A severely angled shot where the vitals are 12-24" away from the point of bullet strike and penetration will likely be insufficient with a softer, fast expanding bullet. Hit a hip bone and you will almost be guaranteed to not reach the vitals.

The second "problem" with soft, explosive bullets is the fact that they are much less likely to fully penetrate the animal and give an exit wound. This severely reduces the blood trail if the animal runs after the shot (I should say "when"...as they will all run some of the time). This can be a real problem if the area is thick rather than more open making recovery difficult.

Controlled expansion bullets give much more room for error on less than perfect broadside shots....even if they don't give "lightning bolt" kills as often. That's one of the reasons the Nosler Partition is so popular. The front half of the Nosler expands quickly giving quicker kills while the rear portion gives penetration.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Cup and core bullets will kill any whitetail in the woods and usually quicker than Premium Bullets. I very seldom use anything but Standard Cup and Core for my hunting of most Big Game Animals .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I've used monolithic bullets for much of the past few years to include two trips to RSA and total over 50 game animals from small deer, Impala to kudu, zebra and wildebeest. Seems to me that the internal damage from Monolithic is long and narrow with awhile before a blood trail begins. Cup and core bullets seem to have a much wider wound channel and a much quicker (Sooner)blood trail.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Anybody compared an Accubond to a cup and core? From what I've heard, the front of the AB is pretty soft and would offer similar performance. I actually like the idea of a 'softer' bullet for deer.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
My experience with ABs in several calibers/applications has been very partition like. Sounds like you want a ballistic tip.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think these sort of bullets are a perfect match for my 300 Savage and 35 Whelen for most big game. Prefer something a bit stouter, like Partitions or ETips, for my 270 and 300 Win Mag.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TexasRick
There is no doubt that softer (even explosively soft) bullets will "kill" much faster than more controlled expansion bullets.......as long as they penetrate enough to reach the vitals. That isn't much penetration on a broadside rib shot, particularly on deer size game.

The "problem" comes when the game gets bigger or the angle of the shot isn't perfectly broadside. Even on a "perfect" broadside shot, a really soft bullet can fail if the shot isn't precisely placed. Hit a shoulder bone and that minimal penetration may not be enough. A severely angled shot where the vitals are 12-24" away from the point of bullet strike and penetration will likely be insufficient with a softer, fast expanding bullet. Hit a hip bone and you will almost be guaranteed to not reach the vitals.

The second "problem" with soft, explosive bullets is the fact that they are much less likely to fully penetrate the animal and give an exit wound. This severely reduces the blood trail if the animal runs after the shot (I should say "when"...as they will all run some of the time). This can be a real problem if the area is thick rather than more open making recovery difficult.

Controlled expansion bullets give much more room for error on less than perfect broadside shots....even if they don't give "lightning bolt" kills as often. That's one of the reasons the Nosler Partition is so popular. The front half of the Nosler expands quickly giving quicker kills while the rear portion gives penetration.

Bingo.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wow I thought this was all figured out by the sixties. The mono metal and other big dollar bullets have their place, but in real big game calibers, the normal bullets work great on deer. Partitions, as good as they are, seem to not kill deer as fast as cup and core, at least in .284 and 30. YMMV

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Soft is the wrong word. Frangible is more accurate.

Soft is something like pure lead or lead with a dash of tin. This is soft...

[Linked Image]

So's this...

[Linked Image]

Fella drives a C&C bullet fast enough and it turns into a grenade, or so I've noticed.

Not much difference in results from hitting steel at a mile or meat at 70 yards, hey?

Vernacular Nazi

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
One problem with this discussion is that today there's an entire spectrum of bullets performance from extremely fragmenting varmint bullets to monolithics that don't lose any weight. There are also monolithics designed to lose their petals, and bullets right in the middle of the spectrum that lose about half their weight.

In my experience both Hornady Interlock Spire Points and most Ballistic Tips retain about half their weight, on average, but to confuse the issue there are also Ballistic Tips designed to retain at least 60% of their weight, which borders on AccuBond and Partition performance--except some Partitions are designed to retain at least 75-80% of their weight.

And then there's the way the performance of "soft" bullets changes with the cartridge's velocity. So if we're going to talk in generalities like "fragmenting bullets" and "controlled-expansion" bullets then it's going to be very difficult to pin anything down.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I think a lot of shooters are using bullets that are tougher than they need to be these days.

------------------------------

The APE

"But resist we much...we must...and we will much...about...that...be committed." - the "Reverend" Al Sharpton
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I thought hunting bullets were for hunting? Therefore, is it not axiomatic that if it is stuck in the wrong place to the point of being inadequate, then more is being asked of it?

With a hunt costing money, I err on the Hagel Principle of planning for the worst shot imaginable. For local easier access deer hunting, more frangible bullets and chosen shots will work fine. Thus is why a local elk hunter is happy with a .270 and 130 grainer whereby an out of state hunter is more likely to pass over this combo and prefer something heavier.

Familiarity with game and terrain tends to influence the perception of adequacy in bullet performance.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by prm
Anybody compared an Accubond to a cup and core? From what I've heard, the front of the AB is pretty soft and would offer similar performance. I actually like the idea of a 'softer' bullet for deer.

An Accubond is a cup and core bullet.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If I had to choose only one cartridge/bullet combo for deer it would a 270 and a 140 AccuBond.

Of course lots of other bullets work great as well.

Last edited by SamOlson; 04/09/15.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I really think it boils down to most NA game is not that hard of an animal especially deer. In all honesty they are pretty soft skinned and since we tend to use rifles of fairly significant power and capable of throwing sizable bullets then all of the current crop of bullet alloys do a pretty good job, This evidently was not so prior to say 1940 . One only has to read some of JOC's early works and he frequently is commenting on bullet quality or lack of. but most bullets were then just gilding metal with a soft lead core. When you get to either extremes very light bullets with frangible bullets say a 223 or 243 with a varmint bullet or a larger round with very tuff bullets then you may see some problems but use a good sized bullet at decent velocity and you are good to go. We live in some very good times bullet wise.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by prm

An Accubond is a cup and core bullet.

Ok, a bonded vs. non-bonded....

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (257_X_50, 35, afisher, alffe, 6mmCreedmoor, 10 invisible), 831 guests, and 818 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,915
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.