C
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
… The Depression went unnoticed in the South …

Got to be the stupidest thing I have read here in a long time.

Because it was already so bad, dummy. The South was in a Depression from about 1863 to 1963.

Keep digging .

Most were faring OK up until the thirties. Including blacks that still had the family unit intact and their own schools. Literacy was much higher and out of wedlock birth rates were comparable to whites.

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Because it was already so bad, dummy. The South was in a Depression from about 1863 to 1963.

Keep digging .

Most were faring OK up until the thirties. Including blacks that still had the family unit intact and their own schools. Literacy was much higher and out of wedlock birth rates were comparable to whites.

You must have lived in the rich part, because, no, they weren't doing particularly well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
… Most were faring OK up until the thirties. Including blacks that still had the family unit intact and their own schools. Literacy was much higher and out of wedlock birth rates were comparable to whites.

The South that I grew-up in during the 1930s and 1940s
suffered from the devastating effects of the "Reconstruction"
years until the textile mills from the north came south
in the early and mid-1940s.

C
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
No my dad and other family were not rich, just self sufficient. If you were willing to work, you lived OK. If not then you suffered. No .gov handouts.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
No my dad and other family were not rich, just self sufficient. If you were willing to work, you lived OK. If not then you suffered. No .gov handouts.

Everybody was self sufficient. There was no other choice. And almost all were poor as church mice.

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
I guess that's why Henry Ford went tango uniform.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I would say that much of rural Alabama, Arkansas, Mississippi, and Louisiana are still depressed, just look at the high rates of poverty and teen births and low rates of high school graduation. In an increasingly technologically driven economy those who can't keep up don't slide back, they fall off a cliff.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

I would say that much of rural Alabama, Arkansas, Mississippi, and Louisiana are still depressed, just look at the high rates of poverty and teen births and low rates of high school graduation. In an increasingly technologically driven economy those who can't keep up don't slide back, they fall off a cliff.

Arkansas, Mississippi, and Louisiana have their economic numbers skewed by the Delta. Otherwise, their doing fine.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Consider Texas for a moment. What the frick is the federal government doing for it right now? I'm sure some Yankee will get on here and make some crack about becoming part of Mexico. Well, what the frick do you think is happening right now? And instead of trying to help us stem the tide, the Feds take Texas, Arizona, and any other border state to court if they try to do DAMN THING to stem the tide and keep from being overrun from the south.

Frick you and your damned Yankee government. There are thousands of people who are damned afraid to even go outside their homes at night for being killed by an illegal or drug mule. There are people who can't check their cows without being armed to the teeth. There are people who see their fences cut, their lands despoiled, and their livestock scattered by what can only be described as hoards of illegals. And your damned Yankee government not only does nothing to stop it, but encourages it and brings its full weight down on those who try to protect themselves.

You seem to think that just because a person was born in a State that wasn't one of the eleven that formed the CSA, he/she supports the Federal Government across the board. There are many Yankees who would like to see the Federal Government enforce Federal Laws currently on the book to the letter of the law. Illegal immigration has destroyed access to the construction trades where I live and don't even get me started on "states rights" legalization/decriminalization of marijuana in AK, CO, OR, and WA. Heck, Vermont is considering following suit, as a means by which to generate revenue and Vermont already has the highest per capita rate of drug abuse/addiction in the entire U.S.!

You seem to think that I care what you support "across the board". The fact is, your kind fought my kind so that this central government could have the power it does today. But for that, what you think or feel would have no effect on me whatsoever.

I'm proud of what my ancestors helped to accomplish, the suppression of rebellion and the restoration of the Union. I also think that Lincoln was our greatest President, 'cause he did whatever was necessary to accomplish the mission and he never lost sight of what that mission was.

I am a fan of a strong central government and the theoretical economy of scale that it brings to the table. It isn't always efficient, but it usually works and, IMO, would work better if there were short term limits such that the business of government was the welfare of the people, rather than a focus on being reelected.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Consider Texas for a moment. What the frick is the federal government doing for it right now? I'm sure some Yankee will get on here and make some crack about becoming part of Mexico. Well, what the frick do you think is happening right now? And instead of trying to help us stem the tide, the Feds take Texas, Arizona, and any other border state to court if they try to do DAMN THING to stem the tide and keep from being overrun from the south.

Frick you and your damned Yankee government. There are thousands of people who are damned afraid to even go outside their homes at night for being killed by an illegal or drug mule. There are people who can't check their cows without being armed to the teeth. There are people who see their fences cut, their lands despoiled, and their livestock scattered by what can only be described as hoards of illegals. And your damned Yankee government not only does nothing to stop it, but encourages it and brings its full weight down on those who try to protect themselves.

You seem to think that just because a person was born in a State that wasn't one of the eleven that formed the CSA, he/she supports the Federal Government across the board. There are many Yankees who would like to see the Federal Government enforce Federal Laws currently on the book to the letter of the law. Illegal immigration has destroyed access to the construction trades where I live and don't even get me started on "states rights" legalization/decriminalization of marijuana in AK, CO, OR, and WA. Heck, Vermont is considering following suit, as a means by which to generate revenue and Vermont already has the highest per capita rate of drug abuse/addiction in the entire U.S.!

You seem to think that I care what you support "across the board". The fact is, your kind fought my kind so that this central government could have the power it does today. But for that, what you think or feel would have no effect on me whatsoever.

I'm proud of what my ancestors helped to accomplish, the suppression of rebellion and the restoration of the Union. I also think that Lincoln was our greatest President, 'cause he did whatever was necessary to accomplish the mission and he never lost sight of what that mission was.

I am a fan of a strong central government and the theoretical economy of scale that it brings to the table. It isn't always efficient, but it usually works and, IMO, would work better if there were short term limits such that the business of government was the welfare of the people, rather than a focus on being reelected.

Lincoln was a tyrant and your ancestors helped destroy the republic and set us up for the police state we are about to have today.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Police State? Where?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Police State? Where?

Seriously?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Refighting the Civil War always come down to:
Did the North win the war? Did the South lose the war?

The South lost the war because they could not capitalize on their early victories. They had about a year, maybe two, to win enough battles, including some victories in the North, to bring enough pressure to bear to prevail. They needed what we now call a blitzkrieg strategy.
Same thing happened to Japan in the Pacific about 80 years later.

Lincoln won the war because he was tougher. He never caved to the enormous pressures he endured when the South had their early success. Many wanted him to do just that.

Lincoln won the war because he was smarter. He know how to count. Count to 21-22 million Yankees vs. about 7 million Rebs and 3.5 million slaves.

The South lost the war in the West. Lincoln brought better generals and more resources. Failure after failure in the West took its tole.
Lincoln, Grant, Sherman and Sheridan figured out how to destroy the basic infrastructure of the South and moved East.

Some Southern Governor began to withhold resources from the Confederacy for their own states. They were after all...fighting for “State Rights.”
So Lincoln rallied the North behind a single cause. Preserve the Union. And later he added; Free the Slaves.

Like I said; Lincoln was smarter. And tough enough to win his war.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
Refighting the Civil War always come down to:
Did the North win the war? Did the South lose the war?

The South lost the war because they could not capitalize on their early victories. They had about a year, maybe two, to win enough battles, including some victories in the North, to bring enough pressure to bear to prevail. They needed what we now call a blitzkrieg strategy.
Same thing happened to Japan in the Pacific about 80 years later.

Lincoln won the war because he was tougher. He never caved to the enormous pressures he endured when the South had their early success. Many wanted him to do just that.

Lincoln won the war because he was smarter. He know how to count. Count to 21-22 million Yankees vs. about 7 million Rebs and 3.5 million slaves.

The South lost the war in the West. Lincoln brought better generals and more resources. Failure after failure in the West took its tole.
Lincoln, Grant, Sherman and Sheridan figured out how to destroy the basic infrastructure of the South and moved East.

Some Southern Governor began to withhold resources from the Confederacy for their own states. They were after all...fighting for “State Rights.”
So Lincoln rallied the North behind a single cause. Preserve the Union. And later he added; Free the Slaves.

Like I said; Lincoln was smarter. And tough enough to win his war.

Not really. That analysis proves nor solves nothing. One could as easily say, "Stalin was tough enough and smart enough to win his war. Hitler wasn't."

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Not really. That analysis proves nor solves nothing. One could as easily say, "Stalin was tough enough and smart enough to win his war. Hitler wasn't."

Not even close. Whatever one's feelings about Lincoln, it cannot be denied that he was a brilliant manager of people, putting his own ego in abeyance while patiently tolerating the pettiness of a McClellan or the outright hostility of a Stanton.

Not that such forbearance should ever be confused with weakness, Lincoln did not hesitate to remove those he felt to be incompetent or otherwise insufficient from command.

A pity for the South that Jeff Davis possessed few of those talents, his misplaced loyalty to the incompetent Bragg in particular being a prime miscalculation.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Not even close. Whatever one's feelings about Lincoln, it cannot be denied that he was a brilliant manager of people, putting his own ego in abeyance while patiently tolerating the pettiness of a McClellan or the outright hostility of a Stanton.

Not that such forbearance should ever be confused with weakness, Lincoln did not hesitate to remove those he felt to be incompetent or otherwise insufficient from command.

A pity for the South that Jeff Davis possessed few of those talents, his misplaced loyalty to the incompetent Bragg in particular being a prime miscalculation.

Birdwatcher

birdy, i am still laughing about you putting the word english, and the word morality, in the same paragraph.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
That analysis proves nor solves nothing.

What is the solution, now, 150 years later?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Anybody willing to wager that even if the South had won this Country today would still be one big fuggin mess.

And for the record, the North won because they controlled the Navy and most of the factories needed to supply a war. The South won many of the early battles as equipment was readily available, and it's damn near impossible to beat someone on their own turf. As the Souths supplies ran down the North gained the upper hand. Had the South had equal access to equipment it's doubtful the North would have defeated them on their own ground.

Likely would have ended as a stalemate.

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

birdy, i am still laughing about you putting the word english, and the word morality, in the same paragraph.

Alright, use "British" if that gores your particular histocal oxen less but.....

...the Germanic folks in general (including the Angles and Saxons) were the progenitors of our present Western representative governments, a splendid impulse towards inalienable rights since well before William set things back in 1066. Ain't fer nothing that the Atheling up in Iceland is the oldest extant such body. Meanwhile the collective Celts at that time were slaughtering and eye-gouging their rivals ad nauseum right up through Medieval times.

B$tch at the English if ya want, but recall the British Empire fell under the weight of its own morality, its subject peoples voting themselves free.

If we won the Rev. War, it was largely because so many Brits at home supported our cause, likewise by the Nineteenth Century, England was a nation where a William Wilberforce could become a national icon.

And they were WAAAYY ahead of us on the slavery issue.

Hey, FWIW all my grandparents were Irish Catholics, Native Irish on both sides.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
but recall the British Empire fell under the weight of its own morality, its subject peoples voting themselves free.

hmmmm,...

So all it took for America to split from England was a vote?

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 67 invisible), 2,746 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,830
Posts18,516,940
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.