Print Thread
Hop To
D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I’m hesitant to even post this question but would appreciate some advice. I’m a hunter foremost and cannot recall ever needing to shoot further than ~200 yds - excluding varmints. That said, I got a new Rem 700 ADL in 243 and bedded it into a Banser stock with the intentions of using it for mid-range targets, varmints, and antelope. By mid-range, I mean 600 yds max and I don’t want the rifle much over 8 lbs all up. The rifle and rings currently weigh 7lbs. I’m looking for input on how to scope it prioritizing reliable service, ability to shoot multiple ranges, and a simple crosshair/quality glass.

I just received a new Minox ZA5 HD 3-15 w/ side focus. I had to return 2 previous Minox’s (ZA3 with loose ocular and ZA5 with a bad windage adjustment). I fully intended to sell this scope until I pulled it out of the box and gave it a look over. Initial impressions are that it is really nice, and appears to be quite an improvement over previous offerings: Great ‘eye-box’, crisp/positive adjustments, and fantastic glass, but my trust level understandably isn't there. It also is a little heavy at 17 oz.

My leading contenders were a Leupold VX-2 3-9 with M1 or FX-II 6X. (I appreciate fixed power scopes, but when aiming at a groundhog’s head peaking out a hole at a couple hundred yards a little more magnification would be nice). The Leupolds are nice and light but the variables can have issues; I considered the LRD reticles but just am not a fan from previous experiences. I also am interested in the SWFA offerings due to a lot of good reviews. They are supposedly very stout but I’m not into ‘tactical’ stuff and they are heavy with complex crosshairs. Also I wonder about glass quality at dusk. I was considering the SS 10X with mildots or the SS HD 3-9. Biggest trouble is I have never physically seen one so may not like either in person.

I'd appreciate any firsthand experience especially with glass quality on the SWFA 10X and reliability on the new HD series from Minox. Thanks

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Why don`t you just shoot it and find out?

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Good question. Honest answer is I am gun-shy due to 2 prior issues and would not be able to sell it as a NIB scope if I mounted and used it. To their credit, Minox CS has stepped up both times.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Mine is wearing a Leupold VX-II with a CDS dial, and yes...it works out to 600 yards.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Never seen a 10x that I like in "low light" especially when looking in or around brush/trees.I've never used an S&B tho.

If going with the SWFA i'd get the 6x or the 3-9HD, they are noticeably better than the 10x.get the MD reticle, you shouldnt have trouble driving one.

I've not used Minox, is yours a 42mm? few companies pull off a 15x in 42mm and i doubt that Minox is one of them..

IC B2

D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks ingwe

rosco1 - I am afraid I will not like the forgiveness or brightness of the 10X just wanted a little more X's than the 6. Worst thing is you can't go down to the LGS to look at the SWFA's - that's why I have to ask. The Minox is a 42mm and didn't do well at 15X. Truth is I really don't like any scopes much above 10X to 12X - the eye position gets too critical and the crosshair seem to bounce around too much with the slightest movement.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You are exactly right about the higher magnifications...why I went with the 3x9

Ive got a couple 4x12s on Varmint rifles, but keep them at 10X for the reasons you stated.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Yup. For some reason the 3X9 Leupolds seem a lot more user friendly to me than the one 4X12 I had; the eye position was less critical. My biggest scope is a 6X18 Leupold and it stays at 12.

I bet a fixed 8X would be a nice varmint/target scope. Leupold makes one, but it is like $850 which is out of my budget.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The VX-II 4-12x40AO I have has too much eye relief at low and mid magnification. I know that sounds strange coming from me, but it's true.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have a custom 243, and am shooting the 3x15x42 SWFA scope. It is a good combination. Have had the scope about 9 months, and it is rock solid. Very repeatable, and good glass. I rarely go more than 10x on the magnification. I shot a coyote Monday with it at 510yds. I hunted with it all fall, and shot a buck with it in very poor light conditions (daylight and rain/snowing). Never had a problem seeing what I needed to see. The SWFA scopes are heavier, but the reliability is worth it to me. In nine months I have only been off one horizontal click when checking zero, and I have the rifle in the truck every day. It is a FFP scope so the cross hairs are pretty fine on 3 or 4 power. I leave mine set on 7x most of the time. The crosshair thickness would be roughly that of a leupold fine crosshair. The cross hair thickness on 15x is about like a regular leupold cross hair, maybe a touch thicker. One thing to remember on these scopes, is that they have all brass internals. Most other scopes have nylon internals and they don't stand up as well over time. Hope this helps. I was where you are when I bought one. Hadn't been able to look through one and wasn't sure. The reticle grows on you, and they really work good for holding for wind. That is where a FFP scope is really advantageous. Hope this info helps. Lets me know if I can help with any other questions.

IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Zero issues with my Minox HDs, thus far....308 & 7mauser....WAY step up from the previous ZAs. That said, I've run both a Sightron big Sky 6x42 and Nikon 4.5-14, on my current .243. I really like the Sightron, but the 6x didn't get me into o the tiny target realm past 200, as easily as more Xs. For deer, it was great, in most cases.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've got the Minox on my CZ 17HMR and like the high magnification for squirrel head shots but I took it off a 300 Weatherby and substituted a 3-9 Conquest that is to me a better big game rough conditions scope. It has held zero but my trust level isn't as high with the Minox and the Z600 reticle on the Conquest is another nice feature for cross canyon shots at deer or elk. The less than 40 round trial it had on the Weatherby was fine, it shot well enough but wasn't as good a match for me.

D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks guys. That's some good first hand information. It sounds like the fine SWFA cross hair may not be what I would like on a hunting scope.

I guess I'll give this new Minox a go and see how it works out. A 243 has little recoil and this isn't going to be a hard use or backpack rifle.

J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
With your criteria I might suggest a Leupold VX3 in 3.5-10 with an M1. I have a standard VXIII on my 243 and it accounted for both prairie dogs and an antelope last year. Seeing prairie dogs at 300-350 was no problem and of course big game much farther if needed. Great scope if you need just a bit more magnification.
I have no experience with Minox.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I was shooting my Forbes 24B in 270 with 130 grain Nozler BT today.I have a new Minox 2X10 X42 with the ranging crosshairs out to 500 yards.I shot it zeroed at 100 .I used the next lower hashmark at 200 and was an inch low.I shot at 300 using the next lower hashmark and it was a 1/1/2 low.The scope is super clear and has good eye relief.I also have a 3X15X42 HD on a 300WSM that I have not shot yet.To tell the truth if a scope does what I want I do and holds up I do not tend to nit pick about little almost meaningless details like some like to do.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Good to hear about the Minox. I wanted a 2-10, but the didn't have any to send and I would have been waiting longer for a replacement. They offered the 3-15 with focus as an upgrade.

Again, the Minox concern was that I had already had to send two previous models back for mechanical issues and mechanical faults certainly aren't a meaningless detail!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

358 members (160user, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 29 invisible), 2,004 guests, and 1,127 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,848
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.