Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
| Publications | For More Information |
Not Everyone Who Says "Lord, Lord" Will Enter the Kingdom

Matthew 7:21-23

By Bob Wilkin

21 Not everyone who says to Me, "Lord, Lord," shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven.
22 Many will say to Me in that day, "Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?"
23 And then I will declare to them, "I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness."
Recently I received a question from a reader about this passage. He wondered how I would respond to the charge that this passage teaches that one must submit to the Lordship of Christ to be saved.

The interpretation of this passage hinges not on the expression, "Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,'" but on the expression, "He who does the will of My Father."

Jesus did not say that no one who says "Lord, Lord" will enter the kingdom. He said, rather, that not all who say that will enter.

So, who among those who say "Lord, Lord" will enter? Answer: those who do the will of the Father.

What, then, does Jesus mean by the will of the Father and who are those who do it?

One popular view today suggests that by the expression "the will of My Father" Jesus meant a life characterized by obedience to all that the Father has commanded. Thus those who do the will of the Father would be people who live godly, holy lives.

There are several problems with this interpretation. First, God is perfect and one cannot enter His kingdom without becoming absolutely perfect (Isa. 64:6; Gal. 3:6-14; Heb. 10:1-18; James 2:10). Second, one cannot be said to have done the will of the Father unless he does it completely, 100%. To violate even just one of God's commands is to break them all (James 2:10). Third, even if these first two objections were not valid, this view leads to the unbiblical conclusion that no one can ever be sure that he is saved until he dies or is raptured. No one could ever know if he had obeyed enough. Yet the Scriptures are clear that the apostles knew with absolute certainty that they were saved and they wanted their readers to know this as well (Luke 10:20; John 13:10; Rom. 8:31-39; 2 Pet. 1:1; 1 John 2:12-14, 25; 5:13).

There is another view as to what Jesus meant by the expression "the will of My Father." When Jesus spoke of doing the will of the Father to obtain kingdom entrance, He had one act of obedience in mind: believing the gospel. It is God's will that none should perish but that all should come to a change of mind about the gospel (2 Pet. 3:9). When asked the question, "What shall we do, that we may work the works of God?" Jesus said, "This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent" (John 6:28-29).

In John 3:36 John is quoted as saying, "He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe/obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him." The word translated "he who does not believe" in the KJV and the NKJV and "he who does not obey" in the NASV is the verb apeitheo. The leading Greek Lexicon of the New Testament by Bauer, Arndt, Gingrich, and Danker makes a very insightful comment about apeitheo which sheds light on both John 3:36 and our passage, Matthew 7:21-23:

Since in the view of the early Christians, the supreme disobedience was a refusal to believe their gospel, apeitheo may be restricted in some passages to the meaning disbelieve, be an unbeliever. This sense, though greatly disputed (it is not found outside our literature [i.e., outside the New Testament, the Apostolic Fathers, and other early Christian literature]), seems most probable in John 3:36; Acts 14:2; 19:9; Rom. 15:31.
(BAGD, p.82)
A person who trusts in Christ alone obeys completely the will of the Father to believe in Jesus Christ alone for eternal salvation. Such a person obtains absolute perfection before God [positionally speaking] since Christ takes away all of his sins and gives him His righteousness in exchange (2 Cor. 5:21; Col. 2:13-14; Heb. 10:1-18). And, such a person can be 100% sure of his salvation since he can know with certainty that he has done the will of the Father (in relation to the gospel) once and for all (cf. John 3:16; 5:24; Rom. 8:38-39; 1 John 5:13).

Acts 5:32 and Acts 6:7 also refer to believing the gospel as an act of obedience to God.

This passage, rather than supporting the Lordship Salvation or Works Salvation positions, actually contradicts them. Probably many of those who will say "Lord, Lord have we not prophesied, cast out demons, and done many wonders in Your name" are people who in this life were pastors, evangelists, missionaries, and the like. They may have baptized many, prayed and witnessed much, and done what they thought were many deeds which made them think that they were probably saved. Notice that Jesus does not question whether they actually did such deeds. Yet He rebukes them for not doing the Father's will and He denies them kingdom entrance. Those who do not believe in Christ alone for their salvation have failed to do the will of the Father.

I do not believe that those who hold to Lordship Salvation or even Works Salvation are necessarily unsaved. Many people who now believe in Lordship Salvation, and even some who now hold to out-and-out Works Salvation, came to simple trust in Christ alone at some point in their lives and later became confused about the gospel.

On the other hand, it is a sad possibility that some in the Lordship Salvation movement and many, if not most, in the Works Salvation camp have never placed their trust in Christ alone. They may go to their graves preaching passages like Matthew 7:21-23 only to find out that Jesus was talking about them, not someone else. I hope and pray that such people wake up before it is too late.

The way that leads to life is narrow (Matt. 7:13-14). Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but by Him (John 14:6). Self-righteous people are on the wrong path. They are on the broad way that leads to destruction (Matt. 7:13). Jesus came to save those who know that they are sick and lost and in absolute need of His deliverance (Matt. 9:12-13; Mark 2:17; Luke 5:31-32; 18:9-14). Of course, that is all of us, all of mankind. However, some people are unwilling to own up to the truth. The cross of Christ is a stumbling block to those who think that they are good enough to deserve kingdom entrance. Those who throughout the course of their lives reject the free gift of salvation and refuse to trust in Christ alone will find out that in reality they are sinners, those who "practice lawlessness" (Matt. 7:23). Only then it will be too late.

What would you say if you appeared before God and He said, "Why should I let you into My kingdom?" Matthew 7:22 is the wrong answer. The right answer is, "Lord, I am an unworthy sinner who has placed his complete trust upon what Jesus did for me upon the cross, and He promised that whoever believes in Him has eternal life" (Luke 18:13-14; John 3:16; Rom. 4:5; Eph. 2:8-9; Titus 3:5).

May we call people to do the will of God so that they can obtain entrance into the kingdom of God. Those who place their trust wholly in Jesus Christ have done the will of the Father and have already passed from death to life (John 5:24) and will not come into judgment regarding their eternal destiny (John 3:18).

Bob Wilkin is the Executive Director of Grace Evangelical Society.
Return to Grace in Focus Newsletter Menu

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Well said.

μολὼν λαβέ
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
good word for today.

thanks, keith

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks eyeball.

Ya know, I still got trouble with a lot. Will I be saved(im not baptized) am I saved? I remember Mickey asking me once if I believe in Jesus and that He died for my sins, did I accept Him as my Lord and Savior? Yes yes and yes! With all my heart.

Im still a sinner, and with my health, though I know from the bottom of my heart He has got me to where im at, and has me on the right path to healing. I have my days, bad days with pain, and some other things im not proud of, im a doubting Thomas. Not an unbeliever. Just wondering why He hasnt helped when I needed Him. Then I remember, Thomas went to be with the Lord. I feel positive I will to, when its time.

Im not a church goer. I believe Jesus is Jesus, and the Father the Father. In many folks eyes, thats enough to keep me out of heaven. But I believe ill be there. If Jesus wanted me to think different, He would change me.

Thanks again, eyeball. I need to hear this from time to time. And today is a good day for it. Thank you.

Todd

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Todd, at times I also wonder about some things, when this happens I always refer to one of my favorite poems.

Footprints

One night a man had a dream. He dreamed He was walking along the beach with the LORD. Across the sky flashed scenes from His life. For each scene He noticed two sets of footprints in the sand. One belonging to Him and the other to the LORD.

When the last scene of His life flashed before Him, he looked back at the footprints in the sand. He noticed that many times along the path of His life there was only one set of footprints. He also noticed that it happened at the very lowest and saddest times of His life.

This really bothered Him and He questioned the LORD about it. LORD you said that once I decided to follow you, you'd walk with me all the way. But I have noticed that during the most troublesome times in my life there is only one set of footprints. I don't understand why when I needed you most you would leave me.

The LORD replied, my precious, precious child, I Love you and I would never leave you! During your times of trial and suffering when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.

Carolyn Carty, 1963

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thats a great poem, and I too think about it a lot. I know Hes here. I know He listens. My will isnt His. I believe and always will.

People wont believe this, but I do. One night I was in unbearable pain. Couldnt sleep. Kept praying. I asked time after time, Lord if I could just touch Your robe just one time, take this all away from me. At the moment I thought I was having a heart attack, and 2 steps from heading to the ER for the 8th time. I asked again, Lord if You could just help me get to sleep and stay with me, watch over me, or if You cant please send someone to watch over me tonight. Im not sure how long I was awake after that, but I fell asleep and didnt wake up for 8 hours and felt refreshed, neither of which I could do for months. Now, who knows what happened. But I know someone was with me that night. And many times after. Might not seem like much, but it meant a lot to me. He kept me calm when nothing else worked, and He was with me when I needed Him most. That I believe, with all my heart. Thanks for the poem, needed to hear that too this morning. God bless ya!

Todd

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
eyeball,

My Christian experience tells me your commenter is not telling the Truth. Years ago I had an employee who stoled one of the wood burning stoves I was making. Not knowing who stoled it I turned it into the Sherriff. I testified for him to get out on work release. On the way back to our town from the city I started talking to him about Jesus. He told me he is saved because he believes in Jesus. I told him he needs to forget about being saved and repent and obey Jesus Christ. The idea of resrticting repentance to merely intelecually believing the Gospel is sending many to Hell. If they don't have a changed life, they have not repented according to the Gospel. They are not obeying Jesus and being sprinkled by His Blood.

1 Corinthians 14:37-38
"If anyone thinks he is a prophet or spiritual, let him recognize the things I write to you are the Lord’s commandment. But if anyone does not recognize this, he is not recognized."

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
E
eyeball Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Take care that you not only know the word, but do it, least you be decieved.

Pa, you do not have to go to church and be baptized nor physically circumcized to be saved.

Getting up and going before the church to accept Jesus as Christ the Lord is witnessing for Him and to be appaluded. You can be baptized by the fire, as the bible says.

Would you refresh some of us with regards to your health problems? Some would undoubtedly put your problems in their prayers.

Last edited by eyeball; 04/12/15.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by eyeball

Pa, you do not have to go to church and be baptized nor physically circumcized to be saved.

Getting up and going before the church to accept Jesus as Christ the Lord is witnessing for Him and to be appaluded. You can be baptized by the fire, as the bible says.

Would you refresh some of us with regards to your health problems? Some would undoubtedly put your problems in their prayers.

Sure. Over a year ago I had a lot of bloating, and then abdominal pains. That progressed pretty quickly to chest pains, anxiety/panic attacks. Went to the ER 7 times and docs there and my GP said it was GERD. Had stress test,ct mri, ekg, etc and all came back 100%. Cardiologist told me I was healthy as a horse. I didnt feel it, felt like death. Took their PPI's all last year and Xanax. Only thing that got better was my acceptance of how debilitating GERD must be. Finally, first part of this year, something made me look back over my lab work throughout the past year. I got a little angry with my doc and told him I wanted my thyroid checked again, as my TSH was borderline high a couple times. We checked it again, this time checking not only TSH and T4, but Free T3 and TPO antibodies. Came back I have Hashimotos disease with antibodies close to 800. TSh was now up to 7. My body was attacking itself. And the GERD meds were holding my digestion back, as Hashimotos lowers gastric acid. The combination of the two really screwed up my digestion. And the Hashimotos is killing my thyroid.

A lot of people think ahhh just take a pill. Isnt as easy as that. With Hashimotos you go back and forth from hypo to hyper as your body slowly destroys your thyroid. Thats what causes the anxiety, and really drains you. The fatigue is unbearable some days. Just enough energy to make it from bed to the sofa. Not much else. Other days its like im almost my old self again. Its getting better. Slowly, VERY slowly. Took Levothyroxine and it wiped me out! My body hated the synthetic, or it didnt convert the T4 to T3, as some with digestives issues see. Doc switched me to pig thyroid, Acella. Felt like superman for 2 weeks, then the fatigue reeeallly set in! Upped my dose, now things are starting to feel better. I can at least get off the sofa now. Using probiotics and cut gluten, and added some other digestive supplements to try help the gut heal. Slow process. Oh and my Vit D was 29, a 2nd test showed 19. So we're taking care of that now too. Anxiety is all but gone. Id still like to have my adrenals checked out further, but we did an AM/PM cortisol test and came back in range, low but in range. My doc is satisfied. Im not, so maybe some more prodding is needed. Hes an Osteo and pretty open so I might be able to find out more. Some days I have a hard time believing my thyroid and Hashimotos caused all this.

Sorry to write a book, but its actually a bunch more to it, too much to add. Simple little thyroid cause a huge mess inside me. Hard to believe. But I thank God im still here, and that He gave me the strength and pointed me on the right path to get more testing done, or id really be bed ridden by now. Thanks for asking doc, and as always prayers are welcomed. Appreciate it!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Careful Ringy......I got in all kinds of trouble pointing this very thing out a few months back and was informed that all practicing homo's who believe will have a key to the gate.

I'm thinking yer right but it doesn't apply to homo's.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
eyeball,

Which Part of the Word do you want me to do? The part about going into all the world and preach the Gospel teaching people to repent and be baptized and grow in grace and knowledge? Should I obey the part about lifting my hands when I pray? Maybe you would have me chide those who forbid to speak in tongues.

I think I have a good idea. A s a result of my love for God why don't I obey all that I can find in the New Testament? Does that prevent me from being deceived? An old friend of mine, who has a masters in religious education, tried to convince me faith only is a cult. He was successful when he turned to the book of James. What does Saint Peter say, "Obey Jesus Christ and be sprinkled by His Blood."

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ringman
eyeball,

Which Part of the Word do you want me to do? The part about going into all the world and preach the Gospel teaching people to repent and be baptized and grow in grace and knowledge? Should I obey the part about lifting my hands when I pray? Maybe you would have me chide those who forbid to speak in tongues.

I think I have a good idea. A s a result of my love for God why don't I obey all that I can find in the New Testament? Does that prevent me from being deceived? An old friend of mine, who has a masters in religious education, tried to convince me faith only is a cult. He was successful when he turned to the book of James. What does Saint Peter say, "Obey Jesus Christ and be sprinkled by His Blood."

I have to ask you again, Ringman. Do you obey Matthew 6:6 ?

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Check into Addison's disease, sister in law has it, no adrenal function, almost died, is now on prednisone for life.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bigbuck215,

Do you remember I posted a photo of my closet? Sue and I live in a studio apartment. There is not enough room for the clothes without scrunching them. Are you this serious about your own Christian life?

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I really enjoy God's grace.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bigbuck215,

So do I. If it wasn't for God's Grace we would all be smoked. Some of us grant others slak, knowing we all will fall short. Others, despite falling short, try to annoy others with their unrighteousness.

Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Ringman
Bigbuck215,

So do I. If it wasn't for God's Grace we would all be smoked. Some of us grant others slak, knowing we all will fall short. Others, despite falling short, try to annoy others with their unrighteousness.

And some righteous folks ain't annoying?

Last edited by Sauer200; 04/12/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Others, despite falling short, try to annoy others with their unrighteousness.

And some righteous folks ain't annoying?

Not intentionally.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Partsman
Check into Addison's disease, sister in law has it, no adrenal function, almost died, is now on prednisone for life.

Sorry to hear about your in law. We already ruled Addisons out. Adrenals are functioning, but the Hashimotos is doing such a number on my thyroid that the adrenals are having a hard time keeping up. Doc says theyll hang in there. Im keeping my fingers crossed. Appreciate the reply, thanks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
1 Corinthians 14:37-38
"If anyone thinks he is a prophet or spiritual, let him recognize the things I write to you are the Lord’s commandment. But if anyone does not recognize this, he is not recognized."

That'd be Paul, blowing his horn.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

143 members (2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 338reddog, 308xray, 25 invisible), 1,812 guests, and 1,013 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,274
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.