Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by splattermatic
Buy a 22 conversion kit, and choose your poison.
Same effect with just a lighter bullet.

Or just buy a .22. Or, better yet, a suppressed 9 or .40 or .45.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
what is a 300 FB?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My guess, 300 fireball, which I've never heard it referred it.

As I recall the history there was SSK's 300 whisper, and then other companies started to chamber contender barrels and make dies and SSK said the whisper name was trademarked so they called their rounds the 300-221, and then AAC came out with the 300 blackout.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Jones was at first making his 300 whisper by opening the neck of 221 Remington Fireball brass. Then people had reamers made with different names to not infringe on Jones expensive products patent. Soon found out 223 brass worked great and cheap at that time. 300/221, 300FB

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've herad that forming the brass with 221 fireball nets better accuracy...

I"m having hell with accuracy wiht my 300 whisper, but I'm anal about accuracy... supersonic no issues... I"ve no use for supersonic 300/221 use though.

And I'd sure like it to be repeatable deer accuracy to 200 yards... with 194 lehighs.. have not gotten that far yet. Works to 150 easily though so I should be happy really, but its just me....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I have a J. D. Jones, SSK .300 Whisper upper with a can on a Colt lower with aftermarket trigger. It's way too heavy, IMO.

Shooting subsonic is a pain, as some loads want to pop (go supersonic). I find it hard to stay subsonic and still have an effective load. Just my opinion.

Right now, I'm going to load supersonic rounds with 110, 125, 130 and 150 gr. bullets, as I have a good supply from years of reloading. I also have plenty of H-110, Lil'Gun and 296 to make it work. My Dillon 550B is all set up, ready to go.

the weight is about right minus the can, so I'm not using it.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

A good suppressed .22 is pretty cool. I really like this one.

DF

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I have a J. D. Jones, SSK .300 Whisper upper with a can on a Colt lower with aftermarket trigger. It's way too heavy, IMO.

Shooting subsonic is a pain, as some loads want to pop (go supersonic). I find it hard to stay subsonic and still have an effective load. Just my opinion.

Right now, I'm going to load supersonic rounds with 110, 125, 130 and 150 gr. bullets, as I have a good supply from years of reloading. I also have plenty of H-110, Lil'Gun and 296 to make it work. My Dillon 550B is all set up, ready to go.

DF

I've killed easily and quickly out to 150 yards with an MV of 900 fps, with 194 lehighs.. they are a game changing bullet. Mind you I've only shot about 10 deer/pigs with them so far, but they have worked from 900 to about 1100 fps...

I"m trying to get to a slow enough load that you avoid the unexepected pop now and then, but am not sure if I am there yet or not.

The lehighs have always expanded and doubled their diameter.

I don't think I"ve had a deer run more than about 80 yards, the last one I shot I was about 30 yards away, and it ran 20 steps appx. The one prior to it I was about 160 yards away and it made it all of about 10 steps before falling over.

I will grant you that I usually have pretty decent shot placement and that usually involves a hole in the heart quite often. Though have had some get double lung only...

Just FYI.

If going supersonic, I'll grab a better round....

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

DF

[Linked Image]

Too loud.

Unless it's set up for sub-sonics.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Rost.

Have you tried the Leheigh's that utilize a .17 cal bullet in the hollow point cavity?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by deflave

DF

[Linked Image]

Too loud.

Unless it's set up for sub-sonics.

Travis

Quieter than a pellet gun with sub sonic ammo. The action cycling makes the most noise, a bolt gun would be even quieter.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by rost495

DF

I've killed easily and quickly out to 150 yards with an MV of 900 fps, with 194 lehighs.. they are a game changing bullet. Mind you I've only shot about 10 deer/pigs with them so far, but they have worked from 900 to about 1100 fps...

I"m trying to get to a slow enough load that you avoid the unexepected pop now and then, but am not sure if I am there yet or not.

The lehighs have always expanded and doubled their diameter.

I don't think I"ve had a deer run more than about 80 yards, the last one I shot I was about 30 yards away, and it ran 20 steps appx. The one prior to it I was about 160 yards away and it made it all of about 10 steps before falling over.

I will grant you that I usually have pretty decent shot placement and that usually involves a hole in the heart quite often. Though have had some get double lung only...

Just FYI.

If going supersonic, I'll grab a better round....

Good info.

I got disgusted and shut it down.

Will regroup with supersonics and see how that flies.

DF

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I have not tried the insert ones. I think they are lighter than the 194s IIRC, and that compounds the problem...

BUT I'm not going to give up.

Bothers me that supersonic the gun is moa easily. Sub it is not.1.5 moa I could live with. 2plus moa bothers me, affects consistent drops and so on.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Thumb against the back of the bolt knob works for me,on the 10-22 if needed, but I have a 540X that needs to be threaded..... that will be a joy to shoot sub sonic... trigger tuned down around a pound. Long barrel, accurate with sub sonics...

But the 10-22 has me thinking.. can I find places to put buffers so no metal to metal slamming noises... could get even better...

Now if could put my mits on CCI sub sonic prefrag at about 1050 fps ever again....kills turkeys real dead real quick out to 100 or so which is far as I've pushed it.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
With that pin thru the rear receiver that retains the bolt, works as a bolt stop, you can get a synthetic one. That helps.

DF

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I sold my AR15-22 cause it was too loud and bought a T bolt that was really quiet. Hated a few things about it and sold it, been looking at a CZ but haven't committed yet.

I do however dig my Buckmark and Ruger 22-45 with TacSol barrels. The actions are quiet enough and the short barrels keeps most target ammo subsonic.

Am still thinking on a 6.8 or 300 but doubt either would be what I wanted, seems they are a lot of trouble.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
shot a ruger 22 pistol years ago, guy had some device on back to flip up and lock the bolt shut.... was amazing that way.... Looking for a 22/45 threaded right now.... dealer is anyway...

Buddy bought CZ in 22 and 22 mag... likes both very much. But also said savage threaded ones with replacment stocks were not at all bad eitehr.

I was going CZ with change out barrels... and buddy reminded me that 4 guns is better than 1 gun with 4 barrels....

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
With that pin thru the rear receiver that retains the bolt, works as a bolt stop, you can get a synthetic one. That helps.

DF

Got an idea who? Brownells? Thanks, Jeff

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
I have not tried the insert ones. I think they are lighter than the 194s IIRC, and that compounds the problem...

BUT I'm not going to give up.

Bothers me that supersonic the gun is moa easily. Sub it is not.1.5 moa I could live with. 2plus moa bothers me, affects consistent drops and so on.

What barrel length? My buddy had a 300 whisper 9" contender pistol, and it would put three in one ragged hole at 100 yds, as I recall they were the 240 smk's, but it's been a long time since I shot it so not possitive on the bullet and that was with no can.

Just wondering if the 16" barrels don't get the powders burning consistantly enough to be accurate subsonic?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
yes, 16 inch, Rem 700 factory, threaded with can.

Lil Gun, as its the quietest supposedly of the powders. Quiet and accurate are what I'm after.

I'm probably an idiot for wanting a 200 yard suppressed gun, but I've been known to be picky...

The 240s and 208 amax shoot well enough in it but they are not a hunting bullet.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

213 members (10Glocks, 2500HD, 12344mag, 160user, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 17 invisible), 1,673 guests, and 1,010 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,800
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.