-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Fall, 1958 — after a rather full summer in the Kodiak bush and a hunting season north of Fairbanks, I up-graded some of my tired old bush gear. Blew a horse-strangling wad (a lot more than I could afford) on one very special item that I'd coveted for years — the finest light axe that I could find. Then I spent hours filing and stoning the edge until it was sharp enough to mow a swath of hair off my leg, made a nice heavy-leather sheath for it, and put it away. (Took it out a few times to admire it, I must confess.)

Then Fish & Game suddenly extended the moose season, and my friend Chuck asked to borrow my axe for a hastily planned hunt with some of his buddies. When he returned it several days later, he gushed and gushed about what a fine axe it was and how grateful he was for the use of it.

While he talked on and on, I slid the sheath off. The edge was gone — completely, totally, irremediably gone. Somebody had obviously been using a boulder for a “chopping block.” The largest gap was wide enough and deep enough to accommodate my finger — far up into the softer steel behind the hard edge. Having an expert welder build the edge back up as hard as the lower lip of a 'dozer blade (if I'd known where to find a welder who was good enough) would've cost more than I had paid for the axe.

He continued to spout-off. I suddenly realized that I could never again look at that axe — or even think about it — without intense, fiery anger that would devastate our friendship. So to put it all behind me, I slid the sheath back up over that mutilated head presented the axe to Chuck as a gift.

Never heard a mumblin' word about it, though Chuck and I remained friends until he died of cancer about forty years later.

Bought another good axe that served me well for several years. Made a sheath out of sections of old fire hose and truck inner tube, and was content. Still am. Completely.

And still cherish fond memories of Chuck — especially our very nice canoe trip and grizzly hunt (with just-caught grayling for supper every evening) the next Spring.

Friends are not expendable.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Friends are not expendable.

Well done Sir! cool

I forget which line of philosophy has it that a man is owned by his possessions, there's a lot of truth in that.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I wonder what kind of friend would destroy a friends property.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by eyeball
I wonder what kind of friend would destroy a friends property.

And offer no recompense?

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
oblivity is not a trait i tolerate in friends. acquaintances occasionally, but not for long.

My diploma is a DD214
IC B2

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I have found what I considered destroyed others considered used. I have friends that I will not let borrow my things, however, they are wonderful friends. I would not let a object get between us.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used to carry a razor sharp Buck stockman pocket knife. I would not loan it out, as I had learned much earlier, that most people do not care how they treat another persons knife. When someone asked to borrow it, I would reply that I do not loan my knife, but would be happy to cut what was needed for them. Any other tool that I owned could be borrowed but not my knife. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 16Racing, 1234, 160user, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,495 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,346
Posts18,526,939
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.