Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
We took a good one yesterday. Had 250K coho on board and a good sized wave came over the rail and took out our compressed oxygen rack. 14 tanks rolling around on deck was a bit hairy for a little while. We got through it and the fish were OK thankfully. I am pretty sure I lost a decade of my life in that storm.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thought that was only supposed to happen on crab boats...

wink eek

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Yes. More than once. Glad you and all aboard got through and made port safely.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Used to be a crab boat actually, 86 footer.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by FishinHank
We took a good one yesterday. Had 250K coho on board and a good sized wave came over the rail and took out our compressed oxygen rack.

Well, I recall goin' through one helluva storm two days out of Guam back in '68 when we were fighting waves in excess of 25'. Several times we were taking 3-4' of solid green over the bridge! The OOD has us lookouts strapped to the bridge so we wouldn't be washed overboard..

Over 45 years ago and I still remember that storm very well..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
nothing like some big waves to get the adrenalin pumping.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Nothing like what you are describing.

Back in my high school days, 2 of us were fishing for stripers along the backside of Fishers Island. We were in my father's 22 foot Mako and throwing big plugs into rips and rockpiles. While it wasn't a flat calm night, it certain wasn't what I'd call rough. One of us would run the boat while the other cast. We had fished those spots hundreds, if not thousands of times.

I was running the boat and had my back to the open ocean when I heard a hisssss. Turned around and saw a wall of white water. Tried to turn and add some power but it was too late. Wave capsized us in the blink of an eye. I know you are supposed to stay with the boat but we were only 30 or so yards from shore so Paul and I swam for it. Made it and sat there shaking for well over an hour. When it finally got light the next morning we walked to the nearest house and called my parents.

The Mako was pounded up in the rocks. Total loss and what a mess. Lost rods, reels, a pile of lures, plus a nights wages. Could have been a lot worse though.

Last edited by JDK; 04/14/15.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
1986, In the Pacific between Hawai'i and Korea. We rode a typhoon for 7 days. We were taking green water 60 feet back on the flight deck. Worst most coolest thing I've ever done.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have no interest in that chit! you can have it

that's big water stuff and it can for certain bite you.

but so can lil water if the conditions are right.

small lake 6 miles long, 3 miles wide

had to ferry a client in a 12 foot rubber raft with a 15hp outboard at our other camp at the head of the lake, storm blew up about the time I unloaded him

I turned and got out of there asap cause the majority of weather piles up in that end of the lake, mountain ridge right behind that camp that just stacks everything up

rode the washing machine home about 3 miles back to our camp

waves breaking over the top or if I rode up the wave wind would damn near flip me. So I had gas tank as far forward as it would go and I was sitting as close to the middle as I could while still grippin the tiller handle. If I slowed down enough not to ride up the waves, I'd catch the back action and waves would come over the transom.

it was a buckin jaw clenching ride, and the lake was 110 miles from any form of civilization. When I motored up into the relative calm of the lil mini bay we'd made camp ever client was lined up on the shore, some with binocs in hand so they could watch the show when I was farthest up lake.

they looked dang near as white as I was, but I was armed with more knowledge than them about where we were at.

one commented "I didn't think there was any way you were gonna make it, that raft dang near flipped a couple of times"

another "good thing you had a life jacket on"

that water temp, you have about 2-4 minutes that time of year to get out of the water or hypothermia sets in and you're toast. Life jacket just makes it easier to recover the body of anyone unfortunate enough to go for a swim

you boys that ride rough water out at sea, my hats off to you, those big waves will make your starfish pucker.

it's a pretty humbling feeling to be on rough water fighting for control when control is fleeing or marginal at best.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
...I had a 25' power boat swamp me in my canoe once...that was plenty of wave for me...I hope I never see what you guys are describing!!

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
For years I've had a little 14' aluminum fishing boat. It never was what I called stable and could get entertaining in even mildly rough water. I needed a car topper so I could pull my camp trailer so last year I sold it and bought a 14' Pora-bote. It has the same dimensions of the aluminum but is a lot more stable. So far I haven't had it out in high winds or big waves. They advertise them to be very stable in rough water but I'm not going out of my way to find out.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Plenty of green water over the bow over the years and although it wasn't pleasant it wasn't what scared me. The rouge waves coming from another direction are the ones that will kill you quick. Nothing like riding into the storm when out of nowhere a big wall of water comes from the side. I've had three boats leave me in the water and spent the night swimming twice. There's a moment when you realize that the boat isn't going to make it and it's a real bad moment. Glad you didn't get hurt with all the tanks sliding around on deck.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
You should be around when a 3000 pound buoy is rolling around on deck after breaking its chains.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Steelhead
You should be around when a 3000 pound buoy is rolling around on deck after breaking its chains.

Oh gawd!
The once in my 20yr career as a shallow water sailor that something actually happened.

Working for dad in office supply
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Navy repair ship took four 48 degree rolls back to back. Lost life rails, cherry picker, lifeboats and had equipment break loose and put three corner hole in the side at waterline. One hell of a fun time for a damage repairman.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Scott F
Navy repair ship took four 48 degree rolls back to back. Lost life rails, cherry picker, lifeboats and had equipment break loose and put three corner hole in the side at waterline. One hell of a fun time for a damage repairman.

And this is the basis for all your mental and physical problems and claims against the VA from your "lengthy service" as a squid? Just come out and say your a lazy fugg who feels he should not have to work anymore and live as cheaply as possible by shyting in a 5 gallon bucket and Uncle Sam owes him for a couple of years of service in the navy for the rest of his life.

Working for dad in office supply
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by VOUScrasher

Oh gawd!
The once in my 20yr career as a shallow water sailor that something actually happened.

No, I spawned a bunch of half-breed kids too from sluts all around the country. Say hey to mom for me.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My buddy had a 17' Hydrasport with the old Merc. 115 Tower of Power. Sold it to a guy who was bound and determined to kill himself on Lake Erie with it and all most succeeded. Got swamped by a big wave of South Bass Island and foundered in the rocks. Too bad-it was really a nice boat.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did you ever see the guys on the jet-skis get those things up in the air and then dive them down nose first into a wake? I always wonder how they are able to hand on to them and how they don't quit running from that.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by VOUScrasher

Oh gawd!
You are a viscous little [bleep] ain't ya. You gonna go ahead and marvel us with you daring military exploits?

-Piss into the wind.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

384 members (1badf350, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 160user, 163bc, 22250rem, 32 invisible), 2,051 guests, and 1,054 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,981
Posts18,499,675
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.