Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by TheBlueMountainApe
I think a lot of shooters are using bullets that are tougher than they need to be these days.

..... esp for deer hunting.

^ BIG +1

Our "cult of weight retention" is crazy IMHO.

I've had nothing but great experiences from cup & core bullets on deer including core Lokts, power points, Interlocks, Hot Cors, solid bases, ballistic tips, and Pro Hunters just to name a few. I favor Interlocks & new Ballistic Tips but not because any others were lacking.

I favor behind the shoulder quartering away shots, and find both meat damage & tracking minimal with these whether using a 6-250, 257 AI, 7x57, or .30-06.

GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Yeah, the quarter bore advocates probably loved those data, as .25 cal. deer rifles seem to perform best.

I'm not a quarter bore fan and would retort with: "too small a sampling for statistical significance"... whistle

The more subtle the difference in measured data, the larger the cohort necessary for a definitive conclusion.

There was a significant difference between how far deer ran, hit by soft vs. hard bullets, therefore the sampling size was probably sufficient for a conclusion.

It seems with Southern WT's, soft bullets kill quicker than hard bullets.

With bigger, tougher critters, I'm sure the results would be different, thus the art of selecting the most effective ammo for the game being hunted.

DF

I hear this, but I have yet to experience it. I shoot deer with TSX they hit the ground.
I've actually had more deer run with cup & core bullets.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How many deer have you taken with the TSX?

Last edited by 6MMWASP; 04/14/15.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
Yeah, the quarter bore advocates probably loved those data, as .25 cal. deer rifles seem to perform best.

I'm not a quarter bore fan and would retort with: "too small a sampling for statistical significance"... whistle

The more subtle the difference in measured data, the larger the cohort necessary for a definitive conclusion.

There was a significant difference between how far deer ran, hit by soft vs. hard bullets, therefore the sampling size was probably sufficient for a conclusion.

With bigger, tougher critters, I'm sure the results would be different, thus the art of selecting the most effective ammo for the game being hunted.

DF

DF
Very true.
I have hunted in SC and never saw a deer bigger than my dog. .257 calibers would be ideal.

I don't know about SC WT's, but in Louisiana we have river bottom, hardwood WT's and piney woods WT's. Delta deer are bigger than hill deer. I hunt river bottom deer, bucks generally are 200-225#'s, does around 140-160#'s. It would take a good sized dog... grin

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter

DF

DF
Very true.
I have hunted in SC and never saw a deer bigger than my dog. .257 calibers would be ideal.

I don't know about SC WT's, but in Louisiana we have river bottom, hardwood WT's and piney woods WT's. Delta deer are bigger than hill deer. I hunt river bottom deer, bucks generally are 200-225#'s, does around 140-160#'s. It would take a good sized dog... grin

DF

You putting those deer on a certified scale? Just curious.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yep, we weighing them.

The only certified scales I have are at my farm and for cattle. Don't have certified at the deer camp, but pretty good std. spring type scales.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just checking, because those are really big numbers on weight for southern deer.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That said, a quarter-bore would still hammer them. A .257 Roberts might just be about the most perfect deer cartridge ever developed. The 6.5s on the x51, x55, and x57 cases are right there, too.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I hunt two properties along the Red River, 30 miles apart. The downstream area with larger bodied deer was repopulated many years ago, reportedly, with WT's from up North. The rut on the upstream property is 60 days ahead of the downstream rut. Upstream deer aren't quite as heavy and probably represent native WT's. Those does are around 120#'s, the bucks around 180#'s, although there have been a few bucks over 200#'s. The upstream deer are better protected, live longer and develop bigger racks. Culls are shot and young trophies are left to grow. On the downstream property, there is a 150 point limit, so good bucks are shot, lesser ones walk. On that property, we're growing a large population of big eight point and it takes a monster 8 point to score 150.

The numbers quoted represent the average of what we're seeing on the downstream property, every deer killed is weighed and aged, all data is recorded.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That restocking information makes a lot of sense, as does the management.

And, yes, it takes a monster 8 to score 150.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Woody (or anyone) is it true Hornady dropped the SST from production or at least in some calibers? Looking for some 150gr 303s...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I think you're SOL on the SST's.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Palidun
Having used a pretty big spectrum of hunting bullets on game and reading the notes of their performance in my reloading manuals. It appears that fast expansion and even a bit of shrapnel Kills a bit to a lot quicker than the bullets that retain a lot of their weight. And even more horrifying it appears that certain brands of cup and core bullets are very fast killers of game if placed in the ribs. Ballistic Tips, Gamekings, Interloks and Hotcors in the midweights really seem to put game on the ground fast.

You'll never ever see me using those explosive bullets again!

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
DF,

There are some huge whitetails in the Mississippi Delta. Saw several when duck-hunting flooded timber there one year.

As anywhere, the body size of deer depends a lot on feed and age. There are other factors mixed in, such as altitude and latitude, but quality of food and how old they get are the biggies.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Bugger
Originally Posted by Palidun
Having used a pretty big spectrum of hunting bullets on game and reading the notes of their performance in my reloading manuals. It appears that fast expansion and even a bit of shrapnel Kills a bit to a lot quicker than the bullets that retain a lot of their weight. And even more horrifying it appears that certain brands of cup and core bullets are very fast killers of game if placed in the ribs. Ballistic Tips, Gamekings, Interloks and Hotcors in the midweights really seem to put game on the ground fast.

You'll never ever see me using those explosive bullets again!

IME, it depends on velocity.

No size fits all...

DF

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I never shot any in SC. A party of 4 of us never saw anything bigger than button bucks maybe 90-100 pounds. It was very unimpressive for a 5000 acre property.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by 4ager
Just checking, because those are really big numbers on weight for southern deer.

Those sound about right for the WT on my family's Mississippi property. We manage them in a similar manner to what Dirtfarmer described too, so that helps.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
DF,

There are some huge whitetails in the Mississippi Delta. Saw several when duck-hunting flooded timber there one year.

As anywhere, the body size of deer depends a lot on feed and age. There are other factors mixed in, such as altitude and latitude, but quality of food and how old they get are the biggies.

Yep.

And, unfortunately, negative selection by hunting pressure can affect the trophy population as noted earlier. Killing 150+, letting less than 150 walk isn't a positive management plan, but in some situations it's about all you can do.

Killing older deer and letting younger ones walk is hard to do in a club setting where you have a number of shooters with varying degrees of deer judging skill. A few typically get excited and shoot what they see, thus the 150 rule with a fine.

The other property is private, not in a club. It's very secluded and the surrounding land owners got together and hired a retired game warden to patrol, which helps keep unwanted "guests" from interfering with the management protocol.

Native Delta WT's will peak out at around 8-10 yrs. and 190+ class trophies are not that uncommon. They just gotta be allowed to get that old to grow that big a rack. Otherwise, they'd be harvested at 4-5 yrs. while at 150-160 points.

Clover is planted and acorns are plentiful. Other crops like sunflowers are planted for deer and doves. The only deer feeding is on food plots. Delta ground can be that good without additional nutritional augmentation. It's all in the management.

DF

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
SST's are still getting bad press here on the Fire but as I've posted several times before I emailed Hornady last year the response was in fact the bullet has undergone a total redesign with a much heavier jacket.

FYI, I asked Hornady about the .338 200 SST and they said it was not redesigned and in fact designed to provide "rapid expansion" and that they work well on "soft tissue." Based on my informal tests, I agree with what those statements.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by 6MMWASP
How many deer have you taken with the TSX?

Between myself and those that I hunt with 30 or more.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

269 members (257_X_50, 10ring1, 1_deuce, 12savage, 204guy, 12344mag, 33 invisible), 2,345 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,501
Posts18,490,489
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.