24hourcampfire.com
24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
They gobble off the roost, play the game for a while (half an hour or less) and then disappear. Today I heard 3 maybe 4 at dawn, called in two, got one so close at dawn I could see him in the dark timber (out of range), but he bounced. Couldn't seal the deal with either one, but what really had me scratching my head is where do they go during those invisible inaudible mid-morning hours? I see them mid to late afternoon either trying to get a fresh hen or at a food plot, but what about those hours in between.

I covered a ton of ground today from the tops of ridges to the bottoms and couldn't find anything but turds, scratched leaves, and tracks. Hunting 170,000 acre piece of public land called land between the lakes in western Kentucky.

Any and all information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by Diogenes; 04/15/15.

The mountains are calling, and I must go -John Muir
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
They go eat, f&%k, and strut.

We hunt an area like that. They fly down and disappear. It took me about 4 years to find out where they went but a few years ago I found an old skid road in some public land that they work their way to.

They're never really that far from food either. Every once in awhile they'll bust off a gobble to let me know they're on the way.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tzone

And not necessarily in that order.

From what the OP describes, the gobblers are "henned up" and in one of those areas that tzone described. My Dad's farm has the same type of spots, somewhere they can see well, feed and feel safe; on rainy or windy days, into the meadows they go.

ETA: after rereading the OP's post and him being able to call two in, I recant my statement about being with hens.

Last edited by StudDuck; 04/16/15.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by StudDuck

From what the OP describes, the gobblers are "henned up" and in one of those areas that tzone described. My Dad's farm has the same type of spots, somewhere they can see well, feed and feel safe; on rainy or windy days, into the meadows they go.

ETA: after rereading the OP's post and him being able to call two in, I recant my statement about being with hens.

Don't be too quick to recant. There is a good chance his calling was attracting the hens that were with the Gobblers, and once the hens became uninterested, the Toms trudged off with their ladies

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is the essence of turkey hunting. Turkeys aren't directional, they go in all directions at their pace.

Watching turkey hunting videos gives you the wrong impression of what turkey hunting really is. They edit out the days they get nothing and hunt areas that don't get the pressure that we all get to hunt...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

OP Offline
I did hear a very shy sounding hen come in at about the 4 o clock position behind the stump I was leaning against while I was calling the one that came in closest. I wonder if she busted me without my ever knowing it. I thought it was a hunter. Calling was terrible lol.

Originally Posted by gitem_12
Originally Posted by StudDuck

Don't be too quick to recant. There is a good chance his calling was attracting the hens that were with the Gobblers, and once the hens became uninterested, the Toms trudged off with their ladies

The mountains are calling, and I must go -John Muir
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Lots of hens don't sound like "hens".

I've killed quite a few Toms by calling in. The hens with them.

Learn the "fighting- purr"

Basically duel calls purring, sometimes aggressivley, sometimes not

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
wherever the hens go , find the hens and you will find the Tom

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
coffee shop?

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Lots of hens don't sound like "hens".

I've killed quite a few Toms by calling in. The hens with them.

Learn the "fighting- purr"

Basically duel calls purring, sometimes aggressivley, sometimes not

i am by all means a pure amateur with turkey calls, however i have found my luck in attracting birds increased a lot when i would call with more than one call. i don't go over board with it mind you, just enough to let them know there is more than one lady in waiting. more times than not i end up getting hens to come into me. when that happens i just sit still, shut up and wait.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

142 members (300_savage, 1minute, 35WhelenNut, 2five7, 2ndwind, 338reddog, 17 invisible), 1,788 guests, and 1,011 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,207
Posts18,503,862
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.